what are you selling today?

muscleman

Am I alone in having this problem? Many seem to be buying hand over fist. I just don't see many obvious buys.

I don't see any obvious buys. Fairfax and BRK are closest to being buys for me...

Well, maybe oil sector, but that's also not obvious. ;)

Been selling a lot too recently. Out of MSFT,EBAY,AAPL, MTB warrants, NOV, half of AMZN etc. total exposure cut by half almost. Waiting to cut AIG as well.

Only invested in things with long term value (5+ years). I don't believe investments with positive catalysts will pan out in the near future.

Recent buys include FAST,RX,INP.V, PKTEF, LILAK

Hoping for a nice correction in the next 12 months.

Tom

did you look at  RX (Biosyent) , DAP-U (XPEL) - great micro-caps trading at reasonable valuation in my opinion.

decent CEO... 

I believe RX still expects 35% growth and 50% for XPEL

they have been growing without debt or equity financing - a ver attractive figure for me (also why I like BRK and CSU... great companies don't need to issue shares or take on significant debt).

Gary

Also starting to run out of ideas, especially in the US. Seeing very little that I could invest 20%+ of my portfolio in and that offers 100%+ potential without too much risk. :(

After selling NTLS I'm "stuck" with 33% cash. Don't feel like buying large caps with maybe 50% upside or compounders that are decently priced either. This too requires patience I guess.

Am I alone in having this problem? Many seem to be buying hand over fist. I just don't see many obvious buys.

Have you looked at Bank of Cyprus? This is similar to Eurobank except that this should be safer. Wilbur Ross owns 19% of this company.

http://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/investment-ideas/bocr-at-bank-of-cyprus/

Only briefly but it didn't seem as attractive at first sight. In hindsight of course neither was Eurobank! Definitely was lucky there.

I haven't yet but have seem those topics fly by. :) Very hard to read everything here these last few years so sometimes I miss a few. Thank you for the heads-up, I'll look them up!

Well RR is a pretty obvious buy. I'm not sure that WMT is that obvious but I think it's on the cheaper side right now.

I'm not so keen on FFH. But yes BRK is somewhere around reasonably priced. It's a bit trickier for me to buy more cause it's already above 10% of the portfolio. But what's so wrong about buying a company like BRK around a reasonable valuation? Especially in an environment like this when you have many iffy companies trading at lofty multiples. Now, over  5 years maybe it will outperform an index or maybe not. If it doesn't I don't think it will be a terrible underperformance. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that it'll make a lot of money over the next 5 years, it'll be worth more after 5 years and it'll definitely outperform cash.

Oh, and I think one will sleep pretty good owning BRK over the next 5 years. I think that's probably worth something too.

Been selling a lot too recently. Out of MSFT,EBAY,AAPL, MTB warrants, NOV, half of AMZN etc. total exposure cut by half almost. Waiting to cut AIG as well.

Only invested in things with long term value (5+ years). I don't believe investments with positive catalysts will pan out in the near future.

I'm curious, may I ask why you've sold out of MSFT? I've pared back as well over the past couple of years based on valuation. By why sell out if you don't need cash? Just valuation or do you have something about the business you don't like?

I'm curious, may I ask why you've sold out of MSFT? I've pared back as well over the past couple of years based on valuation. By why sell out if you don't need cash? Just valuation or do you have something about the business you don't like?

Needed cash, had 140% exposure on margin earlier this year.

Didn't sell MSFT because i think its over valued. I think they have a decent strategy now and runway with cloud. But it will take time and investment to show up in earnings.

I had too much tech and financial large caps over the last couple of years. Did well. I think the valuations have now become more reasonable. Forward growth there is not as attractive, so scouting for other smaller fast growers. I will do large caps only if they are very cheap or growth runway is very attractive relative to price.

I am looking for 20%+ returns annually, so multiple expansion from valuation + dividends alone wont get me there, need growth and growth runway so I don't have to keep replacing these every year. Also avoiding margin leverage in the short run, until this rate hike, china devaluation, oil decline etc plays out.

Guest notorious546

sold pcp,

although i'm not a huge fan of the deal for shareholders. seems likely that deal will go through on current offer.

proceeds moved into CMPR and BAM

Guest Schwab711

I sold a little FICO Monday because I needed some cash. I've held for almost 5 years and it was my first purchase so it was tough to sell. I really didn't want to sell either ELDO or MCO so the FICO sale was forced. I'm extremely concentrated and I have 20%+ cash over all accounts. That summarizes my opinions on the market opportunities pretty well. I sold <1/4 of my stake in FICO and it's still a 20%+ allocation.

Well, I bought some AAPL and NOV recently. ;) Not obvious buys though.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd like to trim some stuff but I can't really :(. Some positions like WFC I still think is undervalued, others have large gains on them which will trigger lots of taxes and I have plenty of cash around. Just a heads up that some very interesting companies have been selling hard for a while and the election accelerated the selling. Could get interesting.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sold my last shares of ITIC at 2.3x book after owning shares for at least 10 years. This stock traded for 2/3 book in 2011. Consistent 7-12% ROE every year. It was a pleasure owning but getting ridiculous at current prices.