What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

Funny thing with Disney is after bleeding for years, the only reason people started giving a shit again is Peltz. He started making noise again in October around $80/81. And then what do they do? Vote for the status quo LOL. Think the stock is already off about $10-12 since the elections. Would imagine this continues until...next proxy season. 

1 hour ago, Malmqky said:

Nintendo!

~25% market cap in cash

PE of ~17

Conservative management

Incredibly well protected and nurtured brand

LOTS of exciting things in the works - Switch 2, continued focused on “App Store” model for lack of a better term, theme parks and movies

can someone tell me what the tax impact of owning via ADR (ntdoy) as US investor..is there foreign tax drag ?

1 hour ago, RiskAdjReturn said:

can someone tell me what the tax impact of owning via ADR (ntdoy) as US investor..is there foreign tax drag ?

I'm not a US investor, but I think they stiff you in ADR fees, especially on the dividend (something on it in the Nintendo thread I think).  I sold it, and bought back in Yen (easy to do on IBRKR).

I know some Macro bros on Twitter are saying Yen about to strengthen, but a) I don't listen to Macro bros, b) I don't know what it would mean anyway, though perhaps makes Margin less attractive, if it happens.

3 hours ago, Malmqky said:

So you're saying Nintendo should be up at least 68% since Oct because it's twice the company Disney is ;)?

I think what Nintendo needs is a good old listing in the NYSE.

Why does SONY has one but Nintendo cannot ?

Incidentally SONY is flat from Oct last year till now. And Yen-USD is where it was last Oct. 

2 hours ago, Gregmal said:

Funny thing with Disney is after bleeding for years, the only reason people started giving a shit again is Peltz. He started making noise again in October around $80/81. And then what do they do? Vote for the status quo LOL. Think the stock is already off about $10-12 since the elections. Would imagine this continues until...next proxy season. 

Peltz was 100% right to go after Walt Disney. And shareholders were 100% right to reject him.  

Two things can be true at the same time 

5 minutes ago, ValueMaven said:

What's going on with ODFL?  Down again ... 

down in sympathy maybe, TFI reported this morning. Truck-load in a very sorry state these days. Bedard, says this freight environment is one of the "worst in 30 years".

As for TFII, considering the environment, they put pretty numbers.

Truck-load arguably canaries in coal mine for recession?  People getting out?

OR

Great companies valued thusly, and valuation just reasonably de-rating a little?

n.b. I haven't read the ODFl call yet.

Great, well-managed companies - I am attempting to dribble in to ODFL on a day like today.

27 minutes ago, thowed said:

Truck-load arguably canaries in coal mine for recession?  People getting out?

OR

Great companies valued thusly, and valuation just reasonably de-rating a little?

n.b. I haven't read the ODFl call yet.

Great, well-managed companies - I am attempting to dribble in to ODFL on a day like today.

all of the above. Partly, I think, a hang-over from absolute boom times in 2021-2022. Many companies still working down bloated inventories. The truckers are obviously exposed to that, along with general cyclicality. But the really well run ones, like ODFL and TFII will do smart things during slow times and gush cash on the next up cycle. All that I know is the stocks will move higher before we read about the end of the freight recession in the paper.

2 hours ago, longlake95 said:

all of the above. Partly, I think, a hang-over from absolute boom times in 2021-2022. Many companies still working down bloated inventories. The truckers are obviously exposed to that, along with general cyclicality. But the really well run ones, like ODFL and TFII will do smart things during slow times and gush cash on the next up cycle. All that I know is the stocks will move higher before we read about the end of the freight recession in the paper.

SAIA is down 20%

2 hours ago, 50centdollars said:

SAIA is down 20%

Crazy.  Well, it's had a good run.  As @longlake95 says, I trust in blue-chips like ODFL and TFII over time, and think a continued downturn is an opportunity to keep drip-buying in preparation for next cycle when they come back stronger.

SAIA, ODFL, XPO are primarily LTL. Down because of slowing in the LTL's, high expectations and higher valuations in the high 20's 30's. TFII is old UPS LTL much less efficient. KNX is the primary TL. TL as a market structure is broken and has been for years with excessive booms and busts in pricing. Here pricing is down significantly.