What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

1 hour ago, Spekulatius said:

Bought a bit of $HOPE today, the US-Korean focused bank brought up by @dealraker. I suppose it's down due to the CFO leaving. Paying about tangible book is a good bet here and it pays a decent dividend as well.

We, a group decision, had (the investment is within the builders supply) decided to go to an emerging market thing rather than HOPE.  But we've added to both Cathay and East West.  Haven't looked at HOPE in the last few days but will now.

FND Floor and Decor. 1.5% position so just a nibble for now. This keeps me interested and should the thesis remain but the stock get cheaper I will add.

Its currently trading at 2x sales which is roughly the same as home depot while growing much much faster.

Its a fast growing store count play same as my Aritzia thesis.  Management expects to triple store count within a decade.

3 hours ago, Jaygo said:

FND Floor and Decor. 1.5% position so just a nibble for now. This keeps me interested and should the thesis remain but the stock get cheaper I will add.

Its currently trading at 2x sales which is roughly the same as home depot while growing much much faster.

It’s a fast growing store count play same as my Aritzia thesis.  Management expects to triple store count within a decade.

Business breakdowns had a good episode on this one but I haven’t had a chance to do more homework.

On 1/5/2023 at 10:21 AM, TwoCitiesCapital said:

1/2024 $15 calls on Silvergate Bank

Probably not a sustainable rally, but feeling pretty good about this purchase so far.

Bought SPY @ 350 9/15/2023 puts today

VIX is low relative to recent history, S&P is simultaneously being rebuffed by the 200 DMA (@397) and the top of the downward channel it's traded in for the last 12 months (@406), RSI is short term overbought and setting up bearish divergence on the 1-year chart, and I think Fed continues to wreck equities with additional hikes.  

Trend has been lower lows, fundamentals are deteriorating, and Fed isn't pivoting yet. Seems like the perfect time to be buying protection while VIX is cheap. 

I sold some naked calls on BBBY today. Nothing extreme size wise, and they're well OTM. I think this short squeeze gets capped off because they'll issue ATM shares into it as soon as they are able, which will keep boosting supply of shares. 

It's a bit of a hedge on my position in the unsecured (which is underwater). Ideally they take in enough cash on the ATM that they make the upcoming coupon payment without filing.

Also @TwoCitiesCapitalthanks for the note on SI. I followed you into that one - so far so good, obviously.

54 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

Hit a solid slug of MSGE Dec $40 calls last week or so. 

I'd buy more as well if I didn't feel like they are going to hit us with yet another cost hike on The Sphere making this stock probably tumble to $40 again. I hold some.

25 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

December calls give you time for that and then the spinoff is included. I'm more concerned with a delay than cost overruns. Even another $300M is a rounding error against the NAV. However, having construction drag on into 2024+ would be a nightmare. 

Greg, if you do not mind, could you please lay out your NAV calculation for MSGE?  Thank you.

Networks $1B if they dont own the digital, $2.5B if they do...still dont think anyones figured this out although the company has said they do. 

Garden $2B worst case just cuz everyone else uses it. Likely way higher

Rockettes $800m

Tao $400m

air rights $500m

other venue+scrap $500m

Sphere $1.3B

You dont even need to do work here. Its over $100 with ease. You have zero liquidity or BK risk. Its a bizarre setup because it seems after $60 broke all you have to do is scream Sphere and another 10% comes off even though right now you arent even paying for it. Look at the recent headlines on Tao, spinoff, acqusitions...Sphere has been planned for almost a decade but its popular to just throw off speculation that everything they do is "to fund the Sphere"...employees showed up at work today "to fund the Sphere". Spinoff "to fund the Sphere". Revised spinoff..."to fund the Sphere". Tao "to fund the sphere"..The hysterics control the narrative right now for sure. 

Same with Networks. Rust Belt RSNs are crappy assets. But owning the overall content and streaming rights is hotter than even and demanding massive numbers. Networks isnt Rust Belt baseball, but like Sphere, everyone just screams melting ice cube and we get into negative EV territory.  

Edited by Gregmal

2 hours ago, Gregmal said:

December calls give you time for that and then the spinoff is included. I'm more concerned with a delay than cost overruns. Even another $300M is a rounding error against the NAV. However, having construction drag on into 2024+ would be a nightmare. 

What happens to calls during a spinoff? I've never held derivatives during one.

3 minutes ago, WayWardCloud said:

They just reflect the original entity. Sometimes annoying to track depending on ratios but by all means its reflective of if you owned the underlying today. 

8 minutes ago, WayWardCloud said:

Usually the option contracts are adjusted, and you have the right to buy 100 shares of the old company plus shares of the spinco at the spin off ratio.

The contracts also get a new ticker symbol and become quite illiquid.