What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

Shorted some SPY shares. Yesterday's failure to close above 2000, along with slipping below long-term moving averages, on the S&P gives me some comfort that the momentum is firmly downwards with prior supports acting as resistance.

Options are still expensive so I haven't re-initiated my puts after selling for a sizable gain. To recap:

1) Fundamentally expensive

2) Earnings growth likely to shift negative on stronger dollar

3) If wages pick up (I doubt they will, but is the bull case for the economy), then margins will likely be pressured exacerbating #2

4) Globe seems dangerously close of falling into a global recession.

It's not a huge position - just something to give me a little comfort knowing that I'm profiting some if I'm right as opposed to sitting on the sidelines. Will switch to options if I can eventually get back into some LEAPS for a reasonable premium/implied vol.

Hey all:

Bought a full position in PNNT at $6.76/share.

market is acting silly again.

Best of luck to you, will probably buy more on Monday if still at these levels.  It did go ex-divvy the other day which is part of the drop but still very cheap.  Dividend yield is 16.5% and 50% to get back to NAV.  I just keep wondering if there is some news I am not aware of.  Other BDC's arent' crashing.

I decided to allocate a significant portion of my portfolio to run a statistical/mechanical investing strategy that get into stocks to build a diversified basket over time. For the first batch, I bought:

Net 1 UEPS Technologies (UEPS)

Naikai Trans Line (9384.JP)

Nakano Corp (1827.JP)

Service Strem Limited (SSM.AX)

Constructions Industrielles d l Mdtrn (COM.PA)

Shorted some SPY shares. Yesterday's failure to close above 2000, along with slipping below long-term moving averages, on the S&P gives me some comfort that the momentum is firmly downwards with prior supports acting as resistance.

Options are still expensive so I haven't re-initiated my puts after selling for a sizable gain. To recap:

3) If wages pick up (I doubt they will, but is the bull case for the economy), then margins will likely be pressured exacerbating #2

It's not a huge position - just something to give me a little comfort knowing that I'm profiting some if I'm right as opposed to sitting on the sidelines. Will switch to options if I can eventually get back into some LEAPS for a reasonable premium/implied vol.

Sold VALE 11/20/15 PUTS @ 4 for $0.25

Doubled my SPY short today. Also sold FCAU 11/20/15 PUTS @12 for $0.60.

Now I've got around a 4-5% outright short, another 7% or so in cash, 10% or so in Fairfax, and have selectively sold calls against positions to generate yield as prices fall. Will continue to add to the short position if my various cash-covered puts are exercised.

Added to my IBM position by 35%.  It's growth initiatives looks very promising! (Security, analytic, AI and cloud)  The transition is slowly taking place so while waiting I am enjoying a 3.5% dividend + $6B in share repurchases a year.  Prem/Buffett have very large position as well so it adds to my reassurance they are going in the right direction. 

Added to my IBM position by 35%.  It's growth initiatives looks very promising! (Security, analytic, AI and cloud)  The transition is slowly taking place so while waiting I am enjoying a 3.5% dividend + $6B in share repurchases a year.  Prem/Buffett have very large position as well so it adds to my reassurance they are going in the right direction. 

Eddie Lampert also has a large position; but that's a negative since he only invests in companies that are going in the wrong direction.

Sold VALE 11/20/15 PUTS @ 4 for $0.25

Doubled my SPY short today. Also sold FCAU 11/20/15 PUTS @12 for $0.60.

Now I've got around a 4-5% outright short, another 7% or so in cash, 10% or so in Fairfax, and have selectively sold calls against positions to generate yield as prices fall. Will continue to add to the short position if my various cash-covered puts are exercised.

Sold BBRY 11/20/15 PUTS @ $7 for $0.67.

Continuing to pair increase in short exposure with short-term cash secured puts. May short more SPY if we get back above 200 level.