Starship Test Launch Thursday

5 hours ago, Gregmal said:

I’m just generally over it and have given up. The last 4 years(starting with COVID, not Biden) I’ve just come to terms with the fact that the system is unbeatable. It’s not changing. You can only change what you have control over yourself. 

Even my great little Northern NJ town that I moved to over a decade ago now…started as probably 60/40 conservative, but the thing is, no one talked about politics. No one really cared or lived with it influencing anything they did. Then we get COVID, and all these shoebox dwelling assholes I guess apparently realized they value some space and not having the government tell them where they’re allowed to go for a walk or shop, and then come out here thinking they’re hardasses with their dumb hate has no home here bumper stickers on their $90k Suburbans and guess what? Now all the red hats come out, we have antivax rallies outside the town square, every board of Ed election is now about tampon dispensers in the boys rooms and what’s available in the libraries….and it’s the same shitshow it is everywhere else I detest. Fuck all these people. 

So like a grumpy old man I’m packing my shit and moving to where the only topics are what’s your t-time and how’s the investments looking? Just done with it all.

Whats the split now in that town, it was 60/40 conservative, has it swung one way or another?

16 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

50/50 maybe. But the noise is exponentially louder

That kinda sucks.  I’ve become a lot less political over time.  Having a family does that to you.  Overly political people suck the air out of the room when they start talking politics.

10 hours ago, Gregmal said:

I’m just generally over it and have given up. The last 4 years(starting with COVID, not Biden) I’ve just come to terms with the fact that the system is unbeatable. It’s not changing. You can only change what you have control over yourself. 

Even my great little Northern NJ town that I moved to over a decade ago now…started as probably 60/40 conservative, but the thing is, no one talked about politics. No one really cared or lived with it influencing anything they did. Then we get COVID, and all these shoebox dwelling assholes I guess apparently realized they value some space and not having the government tell them where they’re allowed to go for a walk or shop, and then come out here thinking they’re hardasses with their dumb hate has no home here bumper stickers on their $90k Suburbans and guess what? Now all the red hats come out, we have antivax rallies outside the town square, every board of Ed election is now about tampon dispensers in the boys rooms and what’s available in the libraries….and it’s the same shitshow it is everywhere else I detest. Fuck all these people. 

So like a grumpy old man I’m packing my shit and moving to where the only topics are what’s your t-time and how’s the investments looking? Just done with it all.

Ya it definitely feels like Covid accelerated everything becoming so political, didn't help that it forced a lot more people to spend more time on their phones / internet rather than interacting with real people in person. Seems like we haven't addressed the root cause of people being driven further apart to the extremes - Facebook and other media driving outrage / division for profit.

16 minutes ago, Sweet said:

That kinda sucks.  I’ve become a lot less political over time.  Having a family does that to you.  Overly political people suck the air out of the room when they start talking politics.

Yea its happened in a lot of places. The town I grew up in, a NYC suburb has gone from like 50/50 to 70/30 blue. Look at New England in the suburbs, with all the high earning men who's wives wear the pants and push progressivism from their classrooms....gone from healthy purple to clean blue....the stuff is contagious.

You used to be able to find "normal" in a lot of different places throughout the country; today IDK, the things you have to sacrifice to get normal are crazy. Theres places that are inherently loud and emblematic of the things most people hate...you expect the things that you expect in NYC, same as you expect WV things in WV...there used to be a whole lot in between NYC and WV but more and more of the map is getting into this flag planting bullshit where everyone needs to declare their positions on these dumb issues. Now that I have kids I want nothing to do with these sort of people, and my animosity just grows as I have to sit here and look at these people who lectured us on following the science through their triple masked ensemble now tell us gender isnt real....

I have become pretty disturbed with how militant people are getting about this shit. 

granted the choices given are terrible and the US could use more candidates and parties but in the end we should all be pulling the the same direction. 

As a Canadian I have no dog in the fight but from my side of the fence things look pretty wacky down there. 

Canadians have a delusional party in power to cater to the delusional voter base and the leader is about as bad as it gets. That said we’re pretty chill on the us vs them thing. We’re all Canadians and we’re going to bitch and complain no matter what!!

23 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

Yea its happened in a lot of places. The town I grew up in, a NYC suburb has gone from like 50/50 to 70/30 blue. Look at New England in the suburbs, with all the high earning men who's wives wear the pants and push progressivism from their classrooms....gone from healthy purple to clean blue....the stuff is contagious.

Yes to this. Political lines seem to be drawn through education and career choice.  

I live in a very wealthy old money area. Nobody talks politics!!!  We talk about children and grand children and business and hiking and coral reefs. 

To my west is a working class town that is conservative. This is your plumbers, dentists, farmers, manufacturing folks, mechanics and generally successful middle class people. We talk about the leafs. 

to my east you have a larger town that screams liberal. they basically hit you over the head with inclusion. How much are we spending on these gay pride electric buses anyway? We have over educated and underworked people who ride a desk all day and just want to get into your business. This is your professors, principals, social workers, unemployed and generally less useful people.

In that statement I am not trying to be rude or hurtful. I’m trying to make a point that when shit hits the fan I want a good mechanic or farmer and not a middle manager for a school district. 

I think these people feel their use in the world is dwindling and take up causes just to feel something. Unfortunately that cause is interfering with my life either financially or in my children’s upbringing so we are left with a rift between us. 

@Jaygo - you could not have spelled out the problem more clearly. Unfortunately, in the USA, we are right on your heels.

Greg's solution will be used more & more every year - get to an area that somewhat aligns with your beliefs - and protect your children.

I think this is where the ‘diversity is our strength’ mantra get exposed.

Diversity of dumb ideas (left and right), fractious politics, and cultures clashing is not a strength.

It’s clearly pulling the countries apart.

Its a lot of these things but when they come together it creates something magnitudes worse. Like just the general lack of decency from many of these people. The way they make these "ideals" a selfish entitlement issue. How everyone just needs to eat what they have to offer and take it. How we've turned terms like "family values" into something with a negative connotation. Right, so even recently I snickered after getting a community email for one of our clubs about how "thong swimsuits are not permitted" and couldn't help but think how if it was the town pool or some city location how you'd get a parade of outraged Tik Tok videos from a bunch of mouthy, entitled whores complaining about how their civil rights are being violated LOL. People just dont think about anyone but themselves these days. Politics and social media are definitely the culprits. 

You can't talk about one of Elon's companies anymore without politics coming up. I wish he would be a lot more like Edison, head down in his labs focused on making new innovations, emerging only briefly to knife a competitor or former business partner in the back, then back to  work.

3 hours ago, ValueArb said:

You can't talk about one of Elon's companies anymore without politics coming up. I wish he would be a lot more like Edison, head down in his labs focused on making new innovations, emerging only briefly to knife a competitor or former business partner in the back, then back to  work.

Can i submit an alternative view of facts here?

Opinion about relevance: The investing climate has been changing and there's an unusual amount of noise, no?

Thomas Edison was unusual and made a lot enemies along the way. However, at a time when we was really busy (six-sigma kind of busy), he took the time to write an elaborate piece on the rational necessity of efficient government regulation. There was a specific personal interest involved but he took the time and mental energy necessary to produce a constructive series of arguments against the Sherman Act, including an alternative plan.

edison1.thumb.png.e8ac0ff0caee701c3abeee042cb3300c.png

edison3.thumb.png.8c6039a0cbd05a6c0ee71f08a7f18808.png

edison2.thumb.png.25553718eb6d584d21e1d6c20f8d20d9.png

edison4.thumb.png.fa6d704be0fabd1ed340ba18616267ea.png

“Edison was a Republican,” Israel said. “Republicans in that era tended to be much more in favor of government regulation and government involvement in the economy than Democrats. He supported Teddy Roosevelt, the great trust-buster.” Times have changed. Opinion: Polarization is nothing new; it just seems that the polarization then was more about policy and less about stupidity.

Signed: someone hoping for a more constructive atmosphere for debate

-----) Back to the trip to mars and the starship search for extra-terrestrial intelligence

Edison apparently offered an opinion that a trip to the moon was not within reason (1911). Although he (opinion) likely meant that it was within reason during his lifetime. A pseudo-fact supporting that opinion is that he also got involved in scientific fiction writing which involved such travel and more.

21 hours ago, Gregmal said:

LOL!  🤣  Couldn't stop laughing.  I have to agree with you on this!  Cheers!

9 hours ago, Sweet said:

I think this is where the ‘diversity is our strength’ mantra get exposed.

Diversity of dumb ideas (left and right), fractious politics, and cultures clashing is not a strength.

It’s clearly pulling the countries apart.

The U.S. has never adopted the "diversity is our strength" mantra...that's Canada.  U.S. has always said that the country was a "melting pot"...diverse coming in, uniform at the end. 

Problem is that you've got nutjobs on each end of the spectrum driving all the uniform people crazy!  A decent, centrist politician in the U.S. under the age of 60 would take 70% of the public vote!  But they don't want to run.  Cheers!

5 hours ago, ValueArb said:

Agreed it is so good, esp at end when Jeff has just enough stubble that she mistakes him for Harvey Weinstein, combining two of their best jokes of the season.

Going to miss that show when it ends after this season!  Cheers!