Fairfax 2024

With the Digit IPO likely happening this year and now the splitting of Quess into 3 public trading companies, MW’s report is becoming thinner than it already was. 

https://m.economictimes.com/tech/technology/quess-corp-to-split-into-three-independent-listed-companies/articleshow/107763011.cms

The company’s largest shareholder, Fairfax Financial Holdings chairman Prem Watsa said each of the new entities would be a market-leading player with the ability to leverage opportunities that come its way through its renewed focus. 

“From the time we initially invested in Quess Corp Ltd., in 2013, the company has become one of the largest domestic employers in India and has the potential to develop as a significant business services player on a global scale.”

“We are confident that this strategic initiative will benefit all shareholders and ensure that the management team gets the support to achieve the set-out goals from the demerger,” Watsa said.

46 minutes ago, Hoodlum said:

With the Digit IPO likely happening this year and now the splitting of Quess into 3 public trading companies, MW’s report is becoming thinner than it already was. 

https://m.economictimes.com/tech/technology/quess-corp-to-split-into-three-independent-listed-companies/articleshow/107763011.cms

The company’s largest shareholder, Fairfax Financial Holdings chairman Prem Watsa said each of the new entities would be a market-leading player with the ability to leverage opportunities that come its way through its renewed focus. 

“From the time we initially invested in Quess Corp Ltd., in 2013, the company has become one of the largest domestic employers in India and has the potential to develop as a significant business services player on a global scale.”

“We are confident that this strategic initiative will benefit all shareholders and ensure that the management team gets the support to achieve the set-out goals from the demerger,” Watsa said.

At first blush, splitting Quess into three companies makes so much sense. Quess is a massive company with very different verticals. This resembles the IIFL split into 3 separate companies (finance, wealth and securities) in 2019 and that has worked out exceptionally well for shareholders. Let’s hope the same happens with Quess. Another tailwind for Fairfax’s equity portfolio, although the timing looks like in will likely be 1H 2025. That’s OK - we are not in a hurry.

This is another example of Fairfax providing great support for a holding. It is all about getting them in the best position possible to be successful moving forward. Fairfax has been doing a great job of doing this with their equity holdings over the past 6 or so years. And as a result, the quality of the group of equity holdings as a whole continues to improve. 

Edited by Viking

Q4 Earnings Review. Summary: great quarter and an amazing year.  

Here are the answers to the questions I asked on Wed:

1.) What is the size of the bond gains in Q4?

$997 million - yes, a very big number

2.) What is the size of IFRS 17 impact?

TBD - but not a concern.

3.) What is the average duration of the fixed income portfolio?

Over the year, spent $11.7 billion on US treasuries with maturities between 5 and 7 years. We will need to wait until the AR is released to get specifics.

4.) What is interest and dividend income for Q4?

Interest and dividends were $536.6 million, up from $512.7 in Q3. Pace of increase is slowing. GIG will be a tailwind in 2024.

If Eurobank initiates a dividend this would provide a big tailwind to dividend income. I think Eurobank reports results in early March.

5a.) What is premium growth in Q4?

Net premiums written down 5.5% in Q4 and up 3.5% for 2023.

The shortfall in Q4 was driven by Odyssey exiting a quote share contract (low margin). And Brit continuing to exit its property cat exposure. Both moves were made to improve future profitability.

People are looking for tangible evidence of actions Fairfax has been taking to improve the quality of their P/C insurance business… we'll, I think they have it.

5b.) What is the Q4 and YE combined ratio?

The CR was 89.9% in Q4 and 93.2% for 2023.

Do we see reserve releases? Yes. Favourable of $309.6 million for 2023 versus $196.2 million for 2022.

6.) What is share of profit of associates?

Q4 came in at $127.7, lighter than I expected. We will see details in the AR.

Full year was $1.02 billion.

7a.) What are investment gains from equities?

Equity gains were $370.2 million in Q4 and $1.2 billion for 2023.

7b.) For equities, what is the excess of market value to carrying value?

For all of Fairfax’s non-insurance holdings the excess of FV over CV was $1 billion, up from $310 million in 2022.

What is status of RiverStone Barbados AVLN’s? Details to come in the AR.

8.) How does the closing/consolidation of Gulf Insurance Group impact financials?

Do we see an investment gain booked of around $290 million? Yes 

9.) What is the size of adverse development for runoff?

Prior year reserve development for run-off came in at $259.4 million.

10.) What is year-end share count?

Common shares effectively outstanding at Dec 31, 2023 = 23.0 million

11.) What is year-end book value per share?

BV at Dec 31, 2023 = $939.65/share versus $762.28 at Dec 31, 2022.

5 minutes ago, Viking said:

If Eurobank initiates a dividend this would provide a big tailwind to dividend income. I think Eurobank reports results in early March.

While a dividend is a dividend, I don't think it will have much of an effect here since Eurobank is receiving equity method accounting.  We are already recognizing our full share of Eurobank's profits as profit so a Eurobank dividend won't likely show up in the official 'interest and dividend income.' 

9 minutes ago, Viking said:

10.) What is year-end share count?

Common shares effectively outstanding at Dec 31, 2023 = 23.0 million

Thanks for the update @Viking!  I feel pretty good about the results relative to expectations.  Regarding share count, I’ve got to believe this is a critical denominator for per share estimates.  Last time I checked Brett Horn’s Morningstar report, he was projecting roughly 25.5 million shares outstanding for 2023 through 2025.  That may be part of the reason he projects earnings per share close to $100 for the next few years.  

Nice to hear Prem indicate that he’s comfortable with the run rate on interest income for the next four years…

5 hours ago, gfp said:

I assume Mr. Block will be long gone by the AGM.  I think Fairfax does have a more "accurate" or "up-to-date" book value than, say, Berkshire and should trade at a lower price to book ratio than Berkshire all else being equal (they are not equal, Fairfax has higher growth, more float leverage and generally lower quality earnings vs. BRK).  Berkshire's carrying values rarely get re-marked higher by transactions.  Marmon and Pilot are two recent examples of required Fairfax-style write-ups but we will probably never see BNSF or GEICO marked up on Berkshire's balance sheet.

Again that comes back to Fairfax's reporting requirements as a Canadian reporter and Berkshire's reporting requirements as a U.S. reporter.  Under IFRS, you are required to mark assets at fair value or comparable value.  Berkshire hasn't adjusted See's Candies cost since acquiring it I believe. 

It's why Buffett says that Berkshire's intrinsic value is far higher than book value.  That analogy cannot be used with Markel or Fairfax, where there isn't massive amounts of undervalued assets on the book.  While both companies should trade higher than book...1-2 times, Berkshire probably should be trading between 2-3 times book.  Cheers!

5 hours ago, TwoCitiesCapital said:

Going to be honest - the share price reaction to an a amazing earnings report is a bit disappointing 😕

Makes me wonder if 1) the market had it "right" and the earnings rally was what we saw in January or 2) if we're back to the days of the getting the earnings look for free and the stock responds 2-3 days later

Either way - I am somewhat shocked we didn't get a pop of 5-10% from market participants who haven't been following this as closely as we have. 

I think markets had a pretty good idea book value would be significantly higher, thus the stock had a nice run up.  Now it will probably continue to rise moderately as we approach each quarterly report, because the markets know that there will be consistent growth in book value for several years.  The bulk of the gains from where the stock hit bottom have happened.  Now it will be based on annual growth of book and any market speculation where the multiple of book or earnings might be marked higher.  Cheers!

5 minutes ago, Parsad said:

Again that comes back to Fairfax's reporting requirements as a Canadian reporter and Berkshire's reporting requirements as a U.S. reporter.  Under IFRS, you are required to mark assets at fair value or comparable value.  Berkshire hasn't adjusted See's Candies cost since acquiring it I believe. 

It's why Buffett says that Berkshire's intrinsic value is far higher than book value.  That analogy cannot be used with Markel or Fairfax, where there isn't massive amounts of undervalued assets on the book.  While both companies should trade higher than book...1-2 times, Berkshire probably should be trading between 2-3 times book.  Cheers!

BNSF is on BRK's books at purchase price of ~$45B, despite having a FV of at least $150B ... so yea, there is that

5 hours ago, gfp said:

I assume Mr. Block will be long gone by the AGM.  I think Fairfax does have a more "accurate" or "up-to-date" book value than, say, Berkshire and should trade at a lower price to book ratio than Berkshire all else being equal (they are not equal, Fairfax has higher growth, more float leverage and generally lower quality earnings vs. BRK).  Berkshire's carrying values rarely get re-marked higher by transactions.  Marmon and Pilot are two recent examples of required Fairfax-style write-ups but we will probably never see BNSF or GEICO marked up on Berkshire's balance sheet.

+1

Book value & its growth are good proxies for the intrinsic value of FFH for this reason I think assuming FFH's marks are conservative. GAAP accounting is the main reason BRK's intrinsic value far exceeds book and likely one of the main reasons Buffett abandoned the book value metric (that and significant share repurchases above book but below intrinsic value). 

Edited by Munger_Disciple

49 minutes ago, Parsad said:

How does the massive float at FFH factor into your calculation of intrinsic value these days?

Edited by MMM20

57 minutes ago, Parsad said:

I used to agree with this, but much less nowadays.  Reason being that with BRK you also pay 1,4 times the value of Apple and other huge listed portfolio + huge cash pile.  You don’t pay the real value of the unlisted companies, but you pay a big premium on cash and listed portfolio that has become a very big part of BRK. 

4 hours ago, Haryana said:

You are adding dividends as if they were paid at the end.
They were paid annually at the beginning of each year.

When you account for that, the CAGR comes at ~16.5%.
Please see if you agree, time value of dividend.

I assumed no reinvestment of divs (eg assume you pop dividend money in a no interest account each year and leave it there and add it to your share gains over period) - which appears thats how Fairfax got their CAGR calc of 11.7% for 2017-2022 but feel free to double check.

You do see total return measures that include reinvested divs, so I think assuming no reinvestment like Fairfax do is more conservative.

Edited by glider3834

1 hour ago, Parsad said:

I think markets had a pretty good idea book value would be significantly higher, thus the stock had a nice run up.  Now it will probably continue to rise moderately as we approach each quarterly report, because the markets know that there will be consistent growth in book value for several years.  The bulk of the gains from where the stock hit bottom have happened.  Now it will be based on annual growth of book and any market speculation where the multiple of book or earnings might be marked higher.  Cheers!

It depends on time horizon, but if quality is good, I'm okay with moderate price action.  Berkshire staying in the 1.3-1.4 book range for quite a long bit of time allowed me to accumulate.   And it allows for better buyback. 

Just worked my way thru the Q4 23 conference call.  Jen Allen did a good job of addressing the MW allegations.  Lots of good information but my top four  responses were as follows:

1. Forward Guidance

Prem Watsa

“Now as I’ve said for the last number of quarters, the most important point I can make for you is to repeat what I’ve said in the past - for the second time in our 38-year history, I can say to you, we expect - there is of course no guarantees - sustainable operating income of $4 billion, operating income consisting of $2 billion-plus from interest and dividend income, $1.2 billion from underwriting profit with normalized catastrophe losses, and $750 million from associates and non-insurance companies. This works out to over $125 per share after interest expenses, overhead and taxes. Of course, fluctuations in stock and bond prices will be on top of that, and these fluctuations only really matter over the long term.’

2. Hard Market and Underwriting Discipline

Peter Clarke

“Sure, thanks Tom. I guess to address the Odyssey question first, in the fourth quarter Odyssey non-renewed a large residential property quota share, around $340 million of unearned premium they returned to the client, and that reduced their premium in the fourth quarter. But for us, it just shows the discipline Odyssey has and the focus on underwriting profit, and for us, that’s a great thing. They wrote that quota share for about two years. In their mind, the margins weren’t there going forward and they took the action necessary, so that was very good.

On the Brit side, we mentioned in prior quarters that they were reducing their catastrophe exposure, re-balancing it, and you continue to see that coming through the top line in the premium. A lot of the exposure they’re dropping is in the binder business, which takes a little longer to run off, and that’s why you’ve seen it come through a number of quarters.

On the pricing side, on the reinsurance side, we’re still seeing for most of our companies double-digit pricing, mainly on the property side, and then in insurance, mid-single digit price increases with the exception, as you highlighted, D&O and cyber, which had a lot of price increases over the last number of years, has been slowing down and actually reducing, so we haven’t been growing in those lines as much.”

3. Reserve Releases

Peter Clarke 

“I think our companies are still being very prudent on the hard market years - 2020, 2021, 2022, holding back from a lot of the favorable development that they’re seeing in those lines and just waiting that through to see how it ultimately plays out. We’re very focused on the effects of inflation and claims inflation in particular, so--but generally speaking, we think our reserves are in a very good position and we’re hoping going forward will benefit us.’ 

4.Associate income in particular Atlas/Poseidon

Prem Watsa

“By the way, our associate income, Atlas has provided the disclosure because of the new build program before they were taken private. They gave you a forecast - $300 million going to $600 million by 2025, and as of today, we still think that forecast is appropriate. When you put all of that together, we look at that operating income of $4 billion as a pretty conservative number.”

10,000m view

We are close to completing the share price regression to the mean phase.  I think the baseline from here is at least 12% CAGR.  We can argue what the upside can be but that will take care of itself.

Edited by nwoodman

1 hour ago, Parsad said:

Isn‘t that thinking about price to book ratios a bit „static“? In the end it‘s all about roe and not equity alone. And I see FFH better positioned fir a high roe:

- BRK is more like a conglomerate with an additional insurance arm. I haven‘t the exact numbers, but BRK has around 35 per cent leverage on equity through float; while FFH has around 130 per cent (and MKL is somewhere in between).

- Assuming both FFH and BRK get 4% on float and both get 10% on equity, than BRKs return on equity would be 11.5% and FFHs would be 15.2%. If it’s 6%, than BRKs roe is 12.0%, FFHs 17.8%. Even if BRKs „real“ equity would be bigger, it‘s returns on that equity will be lower for sure, so FFH will grow stronger

- BRK is 25 times bigger than FFH. It‘s pretty hard getting high roes for BRK over the next 1 or 2 decades on its equity; not so for MKL/FFH. 
- Just look at 2023 and the next 4 years: It‘s hard to argue for an roe way under 20%. That‘s a double on equity every 3.6 years (with 18% it’s every 4 years). I don‘t know anybody seeing BRK doubling every 3.6 or 4.0 years; that could happen to FFH though (I am not predicting that, but there is a chance).

- And today it’s way more normal times than it‘s been with such low interest the years before (if interest is zero, than it‘s way easier for BRK to not loose against MKL and FFH, as float doesn‘t give any returns, but FFH is levered most.

- MKL and FFH both grew stronger than BRK since 1986; I don’t see any reason, why that should change ultimately.

- Munger once said something like (from memory): In the end kver very long timeframes your CAGR return will

be relatively close to roe; regardless if you pay a high or low price. 
- That’s why I think, I‘d happily pay way higher pb ratios for FFH than for BRK. Let‘s assume an roe of 15% (Prems minimum goal…). What do I like to pay for that? Maybe a pe ratio of 15 to 25, let’s say 20. 15% roe on equity gives earnings of 0.15 at a pe ratio of 20 gives a pb ratio of around 3 to us. And BRK? Let’s say roe of 12% is doable. Than a lower pe ratio seems reasonable - say 15. Than you get a pb ratio of 1.8. 

2 hours ago, gfp said:

While a dividend is a dividend, I don't think it will have much of an effect here since Eurobank is receiving equity method accounting.  We are already recognizing our full share of Eurobank's profits as profit so a Eurobank dividend won't likely show up in the official 'interest and dividend income.' 

I think you are correct it won’t impact EPS but I think any dividend would reduce carrying value and go into dividend income. Lately, i don’t think the market is sophisticated at all but some investors might value dividend income higher than associates income because the former is more certain and the latter more volatile. 

On a separate note, I think the restating of 2022 earnings for IFRS 17 will make FFH screen better once the financial statements are filed and all of the data stores refreshed. Book value grew by $125 instead of $27 in 2022. The ROE over the last three years is almost impossible to believe for a company of this size. 

There is nothing to suggest that the next three years can’t look similar although that’s not my base case. I do think the odds of a 20% CAGR in BV including dividends to the end of 26 is higher than a 10% CAGR.

I think that it good enough to beat the market over the next three years  but most institutions are playing a different game. Now that game does include quants who might like the restated numbers more because of the smoothing. IFRS 17 is better for investors because of how investors invest. Looking backwards.

Who can blame them. It has worked and is working but FFH will get a lot prettier in a few weeks once the computers can see the numbers. It will look prettier to investors too especially on the returns table in the Annual Report.

IMG_4522.thumb.jpeg.be1a694e56f196aa3ee228dae74fedf8.jpeg

The $125 estimate of normalized earnings would improve imply 12.2% normalized earnings yield at today's close of 1022 USD, which seems attractive, and with 4 years of approx $2 bn in interest and dividends pretty much assured, it seems likely to me that without big cat losses or a disastrously softening insurance market that we could well substantially beat the normalized figure over the next few years and perhaps can build the normalized run rate to something even higher. So 12% ish, is probably a fairly conservative lower bound expectation and there's a good prospect of something in the high teens to maybe lie 20s at least for the next 4 years or so.

I've only had a position in FFH (and now FRFHF too) for about half a year since becoming convicted I needed a starter position but I'm glad to have taken the chance to add to my position at about $910 USD last week and make this a high conviction part of my concentrated portfolio.

16 minutes ago, Dynamic said:

The $125 estimate of normalized earnings would improve imply 12.2% normalized earnings yield at today's close of 1022 USD, which seems attractive, and with 4 years of approx $2 bn in interest and dividends pretty much assured, it seems likely to me that without big cat losses or a disastrously softening insurance market that we could well substantially beat the normalized figure over the next few years and perhaps can build the normalized run rate to something even higher. So 12% ish, is probably a fairly conservative lower bound expectation and there's a good prospect of something in the high teens to maybe lie 20s at least for the next 4 years or so.

I've only had a position in FFH (and now FRFHF too) for about half a year since becoming convicted I needed a starter position but I'm glad to have taken the chance to add to my position at about $910 USD last week and make this a high conviction part of my concentrated portfolio.

The interesting thing to me is a few short years ago lots of people invested in Fairfax more for the investment gains not operating income. Now it has flipped and the focus is on operating income (which is not a bad thing).

The funny thing is the investments/insurance holdings have never been better positioned. At the same time, we are seeing record earnings getting reinvested each year into new income streams. This suggests to me that investment gains will be very robust moving forward.

Edited by Viking

14 minutes ago, Viking said:

At the same time, we are seeing record earnings getting reinvested each year into new income streams.

This is the secret sauce.  The market is starting to recognize the earnings power that's there, but doesn't understand the compounding that can happen from here.

53 minutes ago, SafetyinNumbers said:

There is nothing to suggest that the next three years can’t look similar although that’s not my base case. I do think the odds of a 20% CAGR in BV including dividends to the end of 26 is higher than a 10% CAGR.

This is an interesting question.  The past 3 or 4 years have been fascinating because even with BV growing at 15% or 20%, FFH has been capital constrained.  If your insurance subs had an ROE of 15%, they pretty much needed to retain the totality of that income if they wanted to grow their book by 15%+ the next year (which they did, over and over!).  Every dollar that the insurance subs retained enabled them to write $1.70 or $2 of new premium, which earned 7% from underwriting profit last year plus roughly 4-5% from interest (Treasury bond rates), meaning that the capital retained in the insurance subs could basically earn an ROE of 20%-ish.  In short, over the past few years, the insurance subs were able to basically suck up pretty much as much new capital as FFH could earn, and it was effectively reinvested in growing the book very profitably at a rapid pace.

Okay, so what about 2023?  The insurance book grew 4.8% in 2023, which is far lower than the return on equity for the year.  Unless we see FFH suddenly put the pedal to the metal on underwriting, the insurance subs won't be sucking up nearly as much capital in 2024 to be invested in growing the book at the delicious ~20% ROE.  So, now maybe FFH will have to take a step or two down on the hierarchy of capital uses in 2024 by dividending more money to the holdco to be used for something else.   But, whatever that "something else" is, it will probably have an ROE lower than 20%.

Let's just hope that the underwriting accelerates in 2024. 

SJ

Edited by StubbleJumper

10 minutes ago, Santayana said:

This is the secret sauce.  The market is starting to recognize the earnings power that's there, but doesn't understand the compounding that can happen from here.

Not just at the Fairfax level but also at big holdings like Atlas and Eurobank.

14 minutes ago, StubbleJumper said:

This is an interesting question.  The past 3 or 4 years have been fascinating because even with BV growing at 15% or 20%, FFH has been capital constrained.  If your insurance subs had an ROE of 15%, they pretty much needed to retain the totality of that income if they wanted to grow their book by 15%+ the next year (which they did, over and over!).  Every dollar that the insurance subs retained enabled them two write $1.70 or $2 of new premium, which earned 7% from underwriting profit last year plus roughly 4-5% from interest (Treasury bond rates), meaning that the capital retained in the insurance subs could basically earn an ROE of 20%-ish.  In short, over the past few years, the insurance subs were able to basically suck up pretty much as much new capital as FFH could earn, and it was effectively reinvested in growing the book very profitably at a rapid pace.

Okay, so what about 2023?  The insurance book grew 4.8% in 2023, which is far lower than the return on equity for the year.  Unless we see FFH suddenly put the pedal to the metal on underwriting, the insurance subs won't be sucking up nearly as much capital in 2024 to be invested in growing the book at the delicious ~20% ROE.  So, now maybe FFH will have to take a step or two down on the hierarchy of capital uses in 2024 by dividending more money to the holdco to be used for something else.   But, whatever that "something else" is, it will probably have an ROE lower than 20%.

Let's just hope that the underwriting accelerates in 2024. 

SJ

Good points. I was focused more on returns on the investment portfolio and growth in associates income can push ROE closer to 20% than 10%.

3 hours ago, MMM20 said:

How does the massive float at FFH factor into your calculation of intrinsic value these days?

The leverage of float is already accounted for in the portfolio income.  I don't give it any additional weight than that, since float cuts both ways. 

If you are valuing FFH on earnings, then float is accounted in the income/loss statement.  If you are valuing FFH on book value, float is also accounted for since it will have both a positive and negative effect on book value depending on catastrophe losses. 

Float is just a more useful version of debt.  There is no net tangible increase or decrease in value from float. 

Cheers!