Where are you going.. (Travel Thread)

Longnose

14 hours ago, Blugolds said:

Good tips for travel with kids already, we have traveled multiple times with our twin boys 16mo, basics already covered above, plenty of diapers, wipes, snacks, pacifiers in diaper bag for easy access. Your kids are older so it may not all apply, might be "easier" for you as they are communicating. 

As for travel in airport etc. We had small strollers that folded, one for each kid. What we found to be a lifesaver were backpacks! Walking around airport we put the boys in backpacks, we both wore a kid. Small strollers we used as luggage carriers and it frees up both hands and you dont have to keep tabs on the kids. When we got to the gate, we had large bags (like hockey bags) that packed into the backpacks lower compartment, at the gate, the backpack and stroller folded up and went into the gate check bag, drop them at the entrance of the plane and the plane throws them in the belly, when you get off the plane they are there waiting for you, grab them and as soon as we got back to the boarding area we unpacked them, kids back in backpacks, strollers out for carrying stuff etc. 

The only way I could figure out movement with kids as well as rolling luggage etc without a monster cart. It worked really well. 

Only other challenge was the actual flights, and as stated above, plenty of distractions worked for us. A variety of snacks, we went to the dollar store and bought about $20 worth of cheap trinkets and sticker books that they had never seen before and would give them one when they started getting fussy, then when they got bored, we would switch them out. Helped a lot. Empty water bottles for the kids and fill them at the airport or when walking around at destination. 

4yr old might be a little big for a backpack, but 2yr old would work, technically I think they do work for 4yr old depending on size. They have been a lifesaver because the kids are super chill in them, it frees you up to do whatever you need to do without keeping tabs on them and gives you both hands etc. 

We usually buy diapers/wipes etc at destination, dont know availability in the area that you will be traveling but what we found was that when traveling you either pay to pack everything and check what you need or pay to buy new when you get there and use what  you need and leave the rest, we found it easier to pack and travel with less, buy what we need when we get there and leave what we dont use, didnt waste much and made everything significantly easier. Just something to consider. 

Also the tip on one person responsible for passports was good. The wife loses literally everything constantly so Im that guy. When I travel internationally I have an inside pocket or money belt type thing that holds a credit card and passports, its always on me close so that if a bag is stolen or lost or any other possible issue, we still have money and a way to get home without hassle, the rest I really dont care about and would be a minor inconvenience, but not having $ or passports turns a minor inconvenience into a nightmare. 

kids are a lot of work. 

That is why Xerxes manages a diversified portfolio of nieces and nephews. 

Much easier, no logistics involved and you get all the upside. 🙂 

On 8/31/2024 at 5:49 AM, villainx said:

We are in Barcelo Maya resort now.  Weather and water is pretty decent. 

Love to hear it. We are headed there during Thanksgiving. Hoping for good weather and lots of pool time for the kids.

On 8/31/2024 at 10:53 AM, Xerxes said:

kids are a lot of work. 

That is why Xerxes manages a diversified portfolio of nieces and nephews. 

Much easier, no logistics involved and you get all the upside. 🙂 

Yes, and money, but with the right woman, it is so worth it!  People like you - wealthy, well rounded and educated should have kids, rather than people who don't care about their offspring.  Perhaps you are depriving the world of the new Avicenna. 

7 hours ago, Dinar said:

Yes, and money, but with the right woman, it is so worth it!  People like you - wealthy, well rounded and educated should have kids, rather than people who don't care about their offspring.  Perhaps you are depriving the world of the new Avicenna. 

Thanks Dinar. Much appreciated. 

I actually didn’t know Ibn Sina was written/known as Avicenna in the West. 🙂

Edited by Xerxes

Planning a trip to costa rica during thanksgiving week. kids are 21 and 16 who would like to do activities like ziplining, snorkeling, hiking etc

can suggestions on the top places to visit during this 8 day trip ? any do's , don't or suggestions ?