What Are You Drinking?

Castanza

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bottle of cotes du rhone.

I couldn't resupply today. I spent the day reading ARs and by the time I went to the store there was a 40 person line outside of the store. Cause hey, social distancing. So I was like Fuck That! and grabbed a bottle from the good 'ol cellar.

Had some Woodchuck cider as a starter and I am now sipping Sonoma county Cabernet. I’m well stocked and can last probably 2 month. Plus I get a shipment from my Finger lake wine club early April.

If you like wine, wine clubs are great way to support a winery by the way. Mine allows to customize shipments and shipping is only $5, plus I get a 20% discount.

• 3 weeks later...

This one seems appropriate!

Any good? Making a beer run tomorrow

It is pretty good. Do you like porters? I would go for the Founders porter instead if they have it.

If you like stouts, I would get the Kalamazoo stout.

If you like Imperial Stouts I would get the Old Rasputin.

Big fan of Belgian beers - Chimay and Leffers a value option. Some local breweries make awesome variants of the belgian originals. I miss going to the craft beer places

Big fan of Belgian beers - Chimay and Leffers a value option. Some local breweries make awesome variants of the belgian originals. I miss going to the craft beer places

All of our beers are sours ... but sadly it either takes decades to mutate the yeast to Belgian levels; or you have to referment multiple times, over 20+ months, at volume losses of 50%+ The yeast spores are also highly resistant to deep cleaning, so sour's production is typically an either/or thing.

2 years from now, a number of craft brewers will have some extremely good sours available, but in very limited supply.

Hard to find a master brewer today, who isn't putting a stash away somewhere. Then there are the gretzky brewers who can make pomegranate .... while the rest of us mere mortals are stuck with raspberry, peach, and blackberry!

SD

If you like wine, wine clubs are great way to support a winery by the way. Mine allows to customize shipments and shipping is only $5, plus I get a 20% discount.

One of my favorite wineries Scherrer Winery sent out an email last Saturday saying many of their wholesale accounts couldn't meet their commitments (for obvious reasons). Solution - he offered the wine to his mailing list for half price and free shipping. He was swamped with orders and quickly sold out of several wines, though there is still some left. https://scherrerwinery.com/

What a creative and quick response by Fred. This is ready to drink wine of older vintages, the stuff that would go on restaurant wine lists now. I can't wait to crack a bottle of the 2013 Russian River Valley Pinot.

One of my favorite wineries Scherrer Winery sent out an email last Saturday saying many of their wholesale accounts couldn't meet their commitments (for obvious reasons). Solution - he offered the wine to his mailing list for half price and free shipping. He was swamped with orders and quickly sold out of several wines, though there is still some left. https://scherrerwinery.com/

What a creative and quick response by Fred. This is ready to drink wine of older vintages, the stuff that would go on restaurant wine lists now. I can't wait to crack a bottle of the 2013 Russian River Valley Pinot.

Got to try these guys one day. I drove past this winery a few times when I lived in the area but never tried their product. I do like the Russian River wines, it’s a good area for Pinot Noirs I think.  I just ordered some from Kenwood Vineyards ( I know it’s corporate now, but i lived closed to their vineyard and have been drinking it now for 20 years so it’s friend with my liver now.

https://kenwoodvineyards.com/shop/six-ridges-spring-sale

(Doesn’t even need membership)

I am also member with Buttonwood Grove. Visited the vineyard when we went a trip to the finger lakes and started to like their whites:

https://www.buttonwoodgrove.com/

End of shameless plugs.

All of our beers are sours ... but sadly it either takes decades to mutate the yeast to Belgian levels; or you have to referment multiple times, over 20+ months, at volume losses of 50%+ The yeast spores are also highly resistant to deep cleaning, so sour's production is typically an either/or thing.

2 years from now, a number of craft brewers will have some extremely good sours available, but in very limited supply.

Hard to find a master brewer today, who isn't putting a stash away somewhere. Then there are the gretzky brewers who can make pomegranate .... while the rest of us mere mortals are stuck with raspberry, peach, and blackberry!

SD

I am not a big fan of the source, but they gained quite some following and some breweries specialize on them . They are very hard to get right,  as I understand it. I do like the Belgian Whitbeer (which is a yeasty summer beer every one every in a  while .Some microbreweries do homedeliver as the state relaxed the laws around this, allowing these guys to stay in business better I hope most  of them survive as checking them out is something I look forward to whentjisasll goes back to the new normal.

In the brewing world, we have the annual Iron Brewer competition. Look up what's in your area.

Most of the time it's an invitation only black-tie food/beer event, hosted on a rotating basis, at the major brewers hospitality room. Typically 12 rounds of judging by master brewers; the last 2 of which are the closed door 'master's class - restricted to submissions by just those in the room, and the full resources of their supporting breweries. Much resembles going to church!

https://reggiebeer.com/ReggieWeb.php?Web=1000317

The Belgian Family Brewers association is a great source. They will ship to the US, but small brewers (with small quantities) ship only to those whom they know; pretty much have to have met some people at an Iron Brewer.

https://belgianfamilybrewers.be/

NA has some very good sour beer makers, but the yeasts are still 'new' to it. 

In Toronto, Bellwoods Brewery. In Colorado, New Belgium Brewing. Both will ship to the US.

https://bellwoodsbrewery.myshopify.com/pages/shop

https://www.newbelgium.com/beer/sour/

Enjoy!

SD

I have a kegerator with 4 kegs, have been home brewing with wort pre-made bags for 10 years now.

On keg 1 is cider made from apples from an orchard near by. It's close to 6 months of age now and it's surprisingly getting a smoother taste over time. i would not have expected flavors to change in cider in cold + carbonated conditions.

On Keg 2 is a Festa Brew White beer infused with dried Hybiscus flowers. For any white beer lovers I'd recommend hybiscus infused beers, they tend to replace any aftertaste for a more floral tone.

On Keg 3 I have All dressed beer, which is basically the leftovers from a 22L batch that can't fit into a 19L keg. It actually does not give bad results. Certainly blends in a lot of tones!

On keg 4 tomorrow I'll be kegging a Festabrew West Coast IPA dry hopped with 1 Oz Citra. I might add another once in the keg. It really makes the citrus takes come out but ruins the first 5 beers as the leaves did not have time to settle completely yet.

I'm fully stocked with 5 boxes 22L of wort unfermented and 1 in the carboy. I should be good to survive the next few months.

BeerBaron

I have a kegerator with 4 kegs, have been home brewing with wort pre-made bags for 10 years now.

On keg 1 is cider made from apples from an orchard near by. It's close to 6 months of age now and it's surprisingly getting a smoother taste over time. i would not have expected flavors to change in cider in cold + carbonated conditions.

On Keg 2 is a Festa Brew White beer infused with dried Hybiscus flowers. For any white beer lovers I'd recommend hybiscus infused beers, they tend to replace any aftertaste for a more floral tone.

On Keg 3 I have All dressed beer, which is basically the leftovers from a 22L batch that can't fit into a 19L keg. It actually does not give bad results. Certainly blends in a lot of tones!

On keg 4 tomorrow I'll be kegging a Festabrew West Coast IPA dry hopped with 1 Oz Citra. I might add another once in the keg. It really makes the citrus takes come out but ruins the first 5 beers as the leaves did not have time to settle completely yet.

I'm fully stocked with 5 boxes 22L of wort unfermented and 1 in the carboy. I should be good to survive the next few months.

BeerBaron

Invest in 2 50l Nalgene Carboys, and ask a farmers market apple juicer to fill one up for you at the end of winter.

Add a pound of molasses for colour, ferment until dry on the existing wild yeast, and a White Labs Scottish Cider Blend Yeast (WLP773).  You'll end up with a basic dark cider, resembling Magners; dry hop with one of the aromatic hops to add your own style.  On completion, have your local store carbonate and keg it for you. Volume loss will be around 4%.

SD

https://www.thermofisher.com/ca/en/home/life-science/lab-plasticware-supplies/reusable-plasticware/carboys/50-liter-13-gallon-carboys.html

https://www.whitelabs.com/beer/cider

http://www.hopslist.com/hops/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Costco is selling a 3 liter wine box of Kirkland Cabernet Sauvignon.  It works out to $3.75 per 750 mL bottle.

It's honestly quite good.

Trying the Pinot Grigio now. I was planning to use it for cooking but it’s much better than expected. One of the most drinkable cheap wines I’ve tried.

Costco is selling a 3 liter wine box of Kirkland Cabernet Sauvignon.  It works out to $3.75 per 750 mL bottle.

It's honestly quite good.

Trying the Pinot Grigio now. I was planning to use it for cooking but it’s much better than expected. One of the most drinkable cheap wines I’ve tried.

For a $20 bottle we tried their Oakville Cabernet and it's incredibly good for that price.  For a bit less their Napa Cab is great too.

The ability to buy booze in Costco is one thing I truly envy about the United States.

I'm finishing off a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12 year old Scotch. It tastes like it should cost twice what it does.