What Are You Drinking?

Castanza

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/12/2022 at 10:34 AM, Castanza said:

What's your GoTo golf or yard work cigar? Looking for something cheap that's still a decent smoke. Probably on the mild/medium side. 

I've cut back over the years...I only enjoy 1, maybe 2 a year now if that!  I've always been partial to Montecristo cigars...especially the Montecristo Especial No.1...my favorite for 20+ years!  It's a longer, thinner cigar, but lights nicely and the smooth flavours are great as you go through the cigar.  Lasts about 40 minutes to an hour depending on how fast you burn.  Great on the golf course, sitting on your deck having a scotch or even a really good cup of coffee! 

Not sure you guys can get them though...the true Cubans.  But based on the quality of Montecristo cigars, I would still buy them in the U.S., even if they come from the Dominican or Nicaragua.  The terroir is different, so the flavours will be different...probably a bit harsher and less smooth than the terroir in Cuba from what I've experienced.  But they are generally wrapped well and burn smooth.

Cohibas are great too!  But the flavours aren't nearly as smooth as Montecristos.  They are bold, strong notes that really need a good scotch or bourbon.  Padrons are good too, but you really have to taste a bunch of different ones to see which you prefer...the flavours and strength really run the gamut.  Even the Dominican, Nicaraguan version of these two brands should be nice cigars.  

I'm of the opinion that if you are going to smoke a cigar, smoke a good one, because you aren't going to do it often and you really want to enjoy it.  Cheaper cigars are really trial and error in terms of flavour, how they are wrapped and how they light/burn.  You don't want your, once in a few months cigar, to have a bitter aftertaste or it burns irregularly so that the flavours are awful and the taste becomes horrible. 

If you are going to go cheap and often, then a maduro wrapper will hide some of the deficiencies and smooth the flavour a bit.  Cheers!

Its not about taste, the better quality stuff is like drinking silky water. Typically I agree though. Have two vodkas in the house. Platinum which is $15 handle stuff for mixed drinks and whatnot. Theres virtually no difference between that and the other bottles on the shelf. And then Beluga which IMO is in a league of its own. 

Agree with Gregmal here. I didn't see the point of premium vodka either, but a Russian mate introduced me to Beluga, and changed my mind. I do think it is worth the extra few rubles.  

He recommended drinking it from the freezer. I've heard others call that sacrilege. But to each their own. Never tried Gold though.  

Polished off the last of a bottle of Beluga Transatlantic a few days back.  

On 3/5/2022 at 12:13 AM, Parsad said:

I've cut back over the years...I only enjoy 1, maybe 2 a year now if that!  I've always been partial to Montecristo cigars...especially the Montecristo Especial No.1...my favorite for 20+ years!  It's a longer, thinner cigar, but lights nicely and the smooth flavours are great as you go through the cigar.  Lasts about 40 minutes to an hour depending on how fast you burn.  Great on the golf course, sitting on your deck having a scotch or even a really good cup of coffee! 

Not sure you guys can get them though...the true Cubans.  But based on the quality of Montecristo cigars, I would still buy them in the U.S., even if they come from the Dominican or Nicaragua.  The terroir is different, so the flavours will be different...probably a bit harsher and less smooth than the terroir in Cuba from what I've experienced.  But they are generally wrapped well and burn smooth.

Cohibas are great too!  But the flavours aren't nearly as smooth as Montecristos.  They are bold, strong notes that really need a good scotch or bourbon.  Padrons are good too, but you really have to taste a bunch of different ones to see which you prefer...the flavours and strength really run the gamut.  Even the Dominican, Nicaraguan version of these two brands should be nice cigars.  

I'm of the opinion that if you are going to smoke a cigar, smoke a good one, because you aren't going to do it often and you really want to enjoy it.  Cheaper cigars are really trial and error in terms of flavour, how they are wrapped and how they light/burn.  You don't want your, once in a few months cigar, to have a bitter aftertaste or it burns irregularly so that the flavours are awful and the taste becomes horrible. 

If you are going to go cheap and often, then a maduro wrapper will hide some of the deficiencies and smooth the flavour a bit.  Cheers!

Thanks for the recommendations, you’re probably right that just going with some good sticks is better than dealing with inconsistencies of cheaper ones. Montecristo sounds about right for what I’m looking for. I don’t smoke very often either so I tend to stick with mild vs anything robust. Smoked some Oliva Maduro golfing once and it about put me on my ass lol 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2022 at 6:13 AM, Parsad said:

I've cut back over the years...I only enjoy 1, maybe 2 a year now if that!  I've always been partial to Montecristo cigars...especially the Montecristo Especial No.1...my favorite for 20+ years! 

A fine cigar now an then is great! I've restricted myself to 1-2 a year too. I'll give the Especial No.1 a try! Speaking of Montecristo's, I'lll never forget the Double Corona's I had with a couple of friends on the day of my colloquium.

The Romeo y Julieta Churchill is great as well.

One of my personal heroes is George Washington. I visited Mt. Vernon most recently. At the end of Washington's life, he built a distillery and some estimates suggest he was making more whiskey than anyone in the United States. Relatively recently the distillery was rebuilt in the same location as the original and they began making whiskey using 18th century methods. They even found Washington's recipe among preserved records and that's what is used today. I bought a bottle while I was at Mt. Vernon. Very expensive but pretty good! 

https://whiskey.mountvernon.org/

Edited by tede02

On 3/19/2022 at 8:55 PM, tede02 said:

One of my personal heroes is George Washington. I visited Mt. Vernon most recently. At the end of Washington's life, he built a distillery and some estimates suggest he was making more whiskey than anyone in the United States. Relatively recently the distillery was rebuilt in the same location as the original and they began making whiskey using 18th century methods. They even found Washington's recipe among preserved records and that's what is used today. I bought a bottle while I was at Mt. Vernon. Very expensive but pretty good! 

https://whiskey.mountvernon.org/

If you're ever out near Dayton check out Carillon Brewing Co. It's a historical brewery all done with methods from 1850. I think it's one of if not the only brewery in the US that does this. 

8 minutes ago, Castanza said:

If you're ever out near Dayton check out Carillon Brewing Co. It's a historical brewery all done with methods from 1850. I think it's one of if not the only brewery in the US that does this. 

I've always wanted to visit the National Museum of the Air Force. Now I have two reasons for going to Dayton!

1 hour ago, boilermaker75 said:

I've always wanted to visit the National Museum of the Air Force. Now I have two reasons for going to Dayton!

I'll give you a third :classic_biggrin:The Dublin Pub in the Oregon District of Dayton....top 10 Irish Pubs in the states

On 3/19/2022 at 2:03 PM, bargainman said:

hmm..  I got a nespresso clone machine during the pandemic, does that count? 🙂

What's a Nespresso clone machine?  You mean a non-Nespresso brand that uses Nespresso capsules?  If so, yeah it's all good!  Who cares if it isn't the Nespresso brand.  As long as you still get good coffee out of it! 

I have an older Nespresso, and I use it only for espresso.  Otherwise, I do pour overs using non-bleached filters and an old small strainer.  You don't need fancy, schmancy stuff to make good coffee.  But you do need good coffee to make good coffee!  🙂  Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Margarita perfected during the covid lockdown (Covarita)-

Juice from one small lemon

2 parts Costco anejo tequila 

1 part 80 proof orange liqueur

2 parts Trader Joe's fresh limeade 

Grand Marnier float

Edited by Ross812

11 hours ago, Ross812 said:

Grand Marnier float

I like the frugal aspect of using Costco and TJ ingredients. I think I am going to try this recipe.

12 hours ago, Ross812 said:

Grand Marnier float

Thanks, I'm going to give a modified version of this a try.  I've been searching for the perfect Margarita for over 25 years.  I went to visit my wife's uncle in Arizona back in the mid 90's (maybe 1996 or so) and he took us to a restaurant in Nogales, Mexico.  You could order pitchers of Margaritas.   They were the best Margaritas I've ever had in my life.  Since then I've ordered Margaritas at bars and restaurants all over the place (New England, Cancun, Texas, Arizona, San Diego, Las Vegas, Tijuana, ...) as well as countless tries at home and have never come across a Margarita that was nearly as good.  Most the Margaritas in the US bars/restaurants are sugary chick-drinks the one I had in Nogales was not sweet at all, so I've come closest at home with just 1 part freshly squeezed limes, <1part tripplesec or grand marnier, and >2 parts tequila (I've tried all different brands/types).   It never comes out as good as that one I had in Nogales, so I must be missing something.   I'm going to try your recipe with squeezed limes rather than the limeade, because I don't like sugar in my margarita.  Maybe the lemon is the key, I've tried adding orange juice, but I don't think I've ever tried adding a lemon.  I wish I remembered the name of that restaurant (my wife's aunt and uncle are no longer living).

Edited by rkbabang

1 hour ago, Spekulatius said:

I like the frugal aspect of using Costco and TJ ingredients. I think I am going to try this recipe.

6 people (covid bubble) auditioned many tequilas and re-auditioned several more when Costco had supply chain issues with their anejo. We were doing "product research" at a rate of a liter a night a couple nights and you start to feel guilty turning a $60+ bottle of tequila on end. The Kirkland brand won out against all the cheaper readily available tequilas - Don Casamigos, Hornitos, 1800 Cuervo, El Jimador, Casadores. The next favorite was Milagro Anejo at around $45 for 750 ml. The group agreed the Anejo versus the typical Blanco tequila made for a more complex margarita where the blanco had a stronger tequila flavor and brighter citrus.   

The Costco Anejo Tequila is from Distileria Santa Lucia. Their cheapest brand of anejo tequila is La Puerta Negro (The Black Door) at $20 for 750 ml. La Puerta Negro is significantly lighter in color than the Kirkland Brand and the distillery's next brand up is Newton at $70 a bottle for the anejo. I would guess Costco is big enough to have Santa Lucia contract distil for them and I would guess its somewhere in between in quality.   

TJ's fresh squeezed limeade is much more lime forward and acidic than the other supermarket brands. Simply Limeade makes a sweet watery margarita! In a pinch, frozen canned limeade can be used if mixed with a bit less water. 

1 hour ago, rkbabang said:

Thanks, I'm going to give a modified version of this a try.  I've been searching for the perfect Margarita for over 25 years.  I went to visit my wife's uncle in Arizona back in the mid 90's (maybe 1996 or so) and he took us to a restaurant in Nogales, Mexico.  You could order pitchers of Margaritas.   They were the best Margaritas I've ever had in my life.  Since then I've ordered Margaritas at bars and restaurants all over the place (New England, Cancun, Texas, Arizona, San Diego, Las Vegas, Tijuana, ...) as well as countless tries at home and have never come across a Margarita that was nearly as good.  Most the Margaritas in the US bars/restaurants are sugary chick-drinks the one I had in Nogales was not sweet at all, so I've come closest at home with just 1 part freshly squeezed limes, <1part tripplesec or grand marnier, and >1 part tequila (I've tried all different brands/types).   It never comes out as good as that one I had in Nogales, so I must be missing something.   I'm going to try your recipe with squeezed limes rather than the limeade, because I don't like sugar in my margarita.  Maybe the lemon is the key, I've tried adding orange juice, but I don't think I've ever tried adding a lemon.  I wish I remembered the name of that restaurant (my wife's aunt and uncle are no longer living).

Fresh squeezed citrus is the key. The TJ's limeade is pretty lime forward and not nearly as sugary as most of the grocery store brands. I've found if you go without the limeade you end up using more triple sec so the sugar content is in the same neighborhood. I don't really measure out the ingredients unless I am making a big batch. For a single drink, I take a rocks glass with three square 1"x1" cubes and pour tequila till the cubes are floating (about half the glass), juice the lemon into the glass, large splash 80 proof triple sec (Drilland is a good cheap one from Total Wine), then fill the remainder of the glass with limeade. 

Going with all fresh citrus is great, but we are often batching for a group. In a pitcher you have 4-5 lemons and 9-10 limes. You can get to drinking faster if you skip the limes!  

I'm way late on the cigar question but my go-to yard-work/mowing the lawn smoke would be a Romeo Y Julieta 1875 or a Macanudo (Connecticut wrap for both because I like a more mild smoke). Last few summers I've gone with some "Connecticut samplers" which as worked out well.