What Are You Drinking?

Castanza

29 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

I got put on the order list at the local store recently. They said it only recently became more available, never goes on the shelf, and it takes a week or two to get in upon order. First reservation, first serve. $82. Cautiously optimistic. 

Prior I’d been getting it for $150 from a local guy who runs a massive chain of stores. Didn’t like paying that, but what are you gonna do? Need something to wash down the Natty Lights. Those are still the bargain of the century at $18.99 a 30 pack. 20 years ago I was buying that same 30 pack for $14.99.

Yeah there has been no inflation of Miller Lite, thankfully.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a treat - pay $50 or $60 for a bottle of John J. Bowman Single Barrel (available most often at Total Wine) that knocks the socks off anything else BT distills for under $100 including Blanton's and all the Weller products.

If you want something sweet get a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch Select.

For the adults who like a kick in the mouth - go Old Forester 1920 or a Knob Creek 120. 

I have a whisky/ey and wine hobby but I'm not about to enter lotteries or sit at 3am and wait for a liquor store to open to buy hard to find bottles. I have abused my liver enough to know what's good.   

2 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

Dude I need JPow to kill the economy. Monkfish should not be $15/lb!

To recycle my Twitter joke: He's going to keep hiking until the "yield farmers" are out there sowing some wheat!

Edited by CorpRaider

20 hours ago, Williams406 said:

Have an almost full bottle of Michters bourbon.

Lucky man

20 hours ago, Ross812 said:

Our local Costco has Michters bourbon right now for $40.

I really like some of the new distilleries around the area.  Two of the good ones are New Riff and Wilderness Trail right now. Wilderness Trail was started by two consultants who have developed yeast strains for most of the distilleries in Ky. They are super sharp and know more about fermentation than your average master distiller.  

Nice I'll have to check them out! Unfortunately no Costco in my area (probably different stock anyways). I am lucky to have a friend in KY who I have grab a few bottles for me whenever we meet up. His wife actually designed the new tasting room at Heaven Hill. 

Edited by Castanza

7 minutes ago, Castanza said:

Nice I'll have to check them out! Unfortunately no Costco in my area (probably different stock anyways). I am lucky to have a friend in KY who I have grab a few bottles for me whenever we meet up. His wife actually designed the new tasting room at Heaven Hill. 

My wife was in the industry for several years and I have a lot chem. e. and MBA friends who still work for various companies. The bourbon industry in Ky is still pretty old school entertaining clients at fancy catered house parties and after hours meet ups at old haunts. The real "good stuff" is held back for "R&D" and gets passed around the industry for "testing".

Have your friend buy a few barrel picks from local small liquor stores for you. The master distiller/taster will pull better barrels for the local guys with a decades long relationship. The distiller knows the big stores are going to buy 6 barrels regardless of how good they are. The saying goes "There's bourbon made for sellin and bourbon made for drinkin."  

20 minutes ago, boilermaker75 said:

My wife's drink of choice is bourbon. Not surprising as she was born in KY.

Her favorite is Town Branch, which I don't believe I have seen mentioned.

I am having a hard time finding it for her. As you can see, she is down to one shot.🙁 

Town Branch.jpg

This is always sad. That last drop is the toughest one. Especially when there’s no reliever in the bullpen 

On 5/25/2022 at 3:05 PM, Ross812 said:

If you want a treat - pay $50 or $60 for a bottle of John J. Bowman Single Barrel (available most often at Total Wine) that knocks the socks off anything else BT distills for under $100 including Blanton's and all the Weller products.

Decided to take your suggestion on this. Expectations are high 

AE982FA7-55EF-4230-9EAC-9B5E042B3D07.jpeg

Working from home this afternoon, so I got started with a Margarita early (based on input upthread). I did learn one thing when I went to the NH liquor store. Was looking for mid price Tequila and the Jose Cuervo Silver and Gold are not 100% Agave while the much less prominently displayed Jose Cuervo Traditionale that goes for about the same price is 100%. Went with the latter because I believe in the power of ingredients.

Cheers.

6149728C-CA32-4106-ABDB-2C677502CCDF.jpeg

On 5/25/2022 at 9:27 PM, Ross812 said:

On a side not, bourbon drinkers and reddit have had a hard on for Buffalo Trace products for 5 or 6 years which includes Blanton's and Eagle Rare. They are still hard to find and I haven't seen Blanton's at MSRP for years. I will say very very few bourbons are worth $80 a bottle. Ten years ago all these "unicorn" bottles were cheap and available for $40 and under including Old-Fo Birthday bourbon, Pappy 15, Weller 12 ($18 all-day until December 2013), and Stagg Jr. Eagle Rare was a mixing bourbon. I switched to scotch years ago for bottles I would pay up for.  

Yep, I see people showing off their new bottles of Weller 12 and Old Antique like come on that isn't impressive. Kind of like you, I was a big bourbon fan back in the day. Don't really drink too much any more, Old Grand Dad 114 seems to have not made the pappy fantastic list yet so that's my go-to if imbibing. The BTAC and Four Roses Limited Editions (primarily 2012s) have went up in value so much from when I bought them that I will never bring myself to ever drink them. It's the best investment, unwittingly, I've ever made.

Edited by Gamecock-YT

11 hours ago, boilermaker75 said:

Neighbor had me over tonight for a couple of beers. He has learned well having beers at my house. He had some Three Floyds Robert the Bruce.

Robert the Bruce.jpg

Three Floyds is phenomenal. Zombie Dust, Dreadnought, Robert the Bruce. Had the pleasure of eating at the pub before they closed it. Food was nearly as good as the beer.

• 3 weeks later...

We had friends over and cooked a fancy dinner tonight.  Bought and opened my wife's favorite bottle of champagne which is up $10/btl, opened a chateau nuf, and Russian river valley pinot from the cellar. Doing my part to stimulate the economy through frivolous conspicuous consumption.