Coronavirus

spartansaver

I in no way am defending the government of Cuba.

But punishing the PEOPLE of Cuba with the U.S. blockade is

A) inhumane and

B) forces Cuba to rely on China and Russia for their needs - what choice do they have?

After 60 years shouldn't it have ocured to someone that it is has not worked?

More deflection from you. Who is ULTIMATELY responsible for the welfare of the Cuban paradise?  The USA or the Communist regime? 

I hear North Korea has free health care and free education. But the real bonus for you Cwericb - NO reported cases of CV

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a Trump quote

"I don't think I'm going to be doing it," he said, going on to suggest it was hard to envision such a thing in the Oval Office: "Wearing a face mask as I greet presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings, queens — I just don't see it."

Contrast this with the Chinese leader Xi - wearing a mask.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/united-states/2020-04-03/chinas-coming-upheaval

Trump doesn't get it.  Memo to Trump:  We are in a pandemic - wear a mask.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Exponential trend continues alarmingly in many countries: U.S., Spain, France, UK, German. Italy *might* be seeing a slope decline/flattening.

Some countries (i.e. UK) have close to 10% dead of confirmed cases which likely indicates lack of testing. This is in contrast to Germany where it's close to 1%. Discrepancy in age of those infected cannot explain such a gap alone.

Here in Iceland there have been tests made by random sampling of the population. Based on random sampling, around 0.3%  of the population tests positive. Obviously, this is not representative for other countries or populations. In Iceland most of the effort has gone to tracing infections and quarantining people who have been in contact with infected people. By now, over 50% of people who test positive are already in quarantine when tested.

https://www.covid.is/data

Yeah, Iceland seems to be doing well, but a small country with a concentrated population in a small area (like Singapore) would be much easier to manage w something like this.

The random sampling showing only 0.3% infected obliterates the "this disease has been widespread for a long time" thesis. Makes you realize how impossible achieving herd immunity will be (without having large magnitude of deaths/healthcare overload).

By now, over 50% of people who test positive are already in quarantine when tested.

That's excellent.

Cubs, everything I said was quite straightforward with no deflection.

However, you still haven’t answered any of the questions I asked. Try this one:

How do you justify Trump’s unconscionable order to withhold medical equipment to Canada and other countries? Are we not all in this together?

Cubs, everything I said was quite straightforward with no deflection.

However, you still haven’t answered any of the questions I asked. Try this one:

How do you justify Trump’s unconscionable order to withhold medical equipment to Canada and other countries? Are we not all in this together?

I won't venture an answer since I don't know the specifics. Try asking Pompeo.

Why don't you invert the issue re: Cuba for once? - what responsibility does the communist leadership that has suppressed the

population for 60 years have in bettering the average citizen's life? Is 60 years not enough time to reverse being a pariah state?

Where is your outrage for the leaders of the country?

Do you really think they care about the people or just their own power?

Why might Cuba be in this predicament?

You certainly won't ask those obvious questions when you can deliver your vitriol to Trump - will you?

You'll pin all Cuba's problems you can find on the President - so why bother with you.

Paul, my sources are not biased. I was there.

I don't agree with Trump on this but lc's source is very, very much left.

Here ya go buddy. Hope this makes you feel better:

https://apnews.com/2858fbaa2dd5460fa2988b888fc53748

Until I see it reported on Hannity, it's fake news.

Who is responsible for Cuba's circumstances? Castros and communism most likely culprit, but does that matter w this pandemic? In the power of POTUS to reverse embargo, but as stated before:

He does not think about starving/ill Cubans and does not care about long term strategic benefits of having Cuba-U.S. aligned. It's a purely self interested action from someone who has a multi-decade track record of self interested actions (i.e. par for the course, don't be surprised).

In fact, you can argue that if he hadn't harmed relations with China all this time ("China virus", trade wars), he could have solicited a lot more aid from the world's manufacturing powerhouse for PPE, masks, vents, etc instead of having Jack Ma, Elon, and other private individuals scramble for private jets from China. Trump gotta save face and maintain confrontational relationship with China, even if they could help us right now.

In the meantime, screw over Canada, Europe, Latin America and attack 3M for daring to send them N95 masks...

Too bad--we only maintain good relations with the likes of Putin and MBS now. Nice friends to have who will surely lend U.S. a hand in trying times.

What part of : "I in no way am defending the government of Cuba. But punishing the PEOPLE of Cuba with the U.S. blockade is A) inhumane" did you not understand so I can explain that to you as you think I somehow support the regime?

Cubs when I asked “How do you justify Trump’s unconscionable order to withhold medical equipment to Canada.” You have no answer. But it is a really, really stupid decision that he refuses to change.

What if Canada stop supplying the products to make those masks? What if Canada stops the 3,000 nurses that cross the border every day to staff Detroit’s hospitals? What if Canada was to throw the switch on the power Canada supplies to keep the lights on in New York, Boston, etc.

The point I am trying to make is that this is an example of how your guy keeps making embarrassing knee jerk reactions to things he doesn’t fully understand.

In other news there is some good news coming out of NYC

More pts discharged then admitted, should start to take strain off of the system. 1095 admitted, 1592 discharged. 

The Institute of health medicine projections on a state by state basis still way, way over estimating need although death close. 6 more days to peak deaths in NYC.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page

cases, hospitlization and deaths trending down.

This is a Trump quote

"I don't think I'm going to be doing it," he said, going on to suggest it was hard to envision such a thing in the Oval Office: "Wearing a face mask as I greet presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings, queens — I just don't see it."

Contrast this with the Chinese leader Xi - wearing a mask.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/united-states/2020-04-03/chinas-coming-upheaval

Trump doesn't get it.  Memo to Trump:  We are in a pandemic - wear a mask.

I fully support Trump's decision not to wear a mask and strongly suggest the other members of his administration to follow his example!

Apparently Oregon is sending 140 ventilators to NYC per Cuomo.

Something isnt adding up regarding these models though. Peak need apparently still coming for Oregon, May 5th.

http://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

ED visits for Covid like symptoms and percentage too.

https://govsite-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/9BrRkUvtT8aMSfPNGWf7_Oregon-COVID-19-Update-04-03-2020-FINAL.pdf

Im not necessarily calling the model gospel but is there another reliable one as detailed per state? Wondering though because WH expecting 100k-240k deaths and this model which has GREATLY over estimated need but is closer on death is estimating 93k.

What model/projections are the white house using?

The states who were the slowest to implement travel restrictions also seem to have some of the lowest deaths per 1000. Mainly in the south eastern part of the country. Is the heat/humid weather playing a role? Louisiana the early outlier.

With all the spring breakers/beaches and the elderly population you would think Florida would be a graveyard by now, have tested the 7th most cases and just locked down yesterday.

Texas still has no stay at home order and essential travel and services not closed and have 97 deaths.

We are coming to the expected peak in the next 7-14 days for many states will be interesting to watch

NY is in a class of its own. If the worst case is near peak very soon we should be through this sooner then later.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

Dear Mr. Trump.

You can keep your masks. We have just sent Air Canada to China to pick up a few million of them. While we will not forget, we do have enough class class to continue to provide you with the materials to make those precious masks that you stole from us.

We will not shut the power off to Boston and New York, nor will we prevent the 3,000 Canadian nurses who cross the border daily to staff Detroit’s hospitals. And the next time you have a 911, we will still allow your planes to land here and take in your people.

But it is nice to know who your true friends are in times of need.

Am I reading this right? WH took down their estimates for deaths by 60k within a week from 100k to 40k with the caveat of "still listening to us"?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/03/white-house-advisor-says-another-coronavirus-epidemic-like-nyc-could-change-us-mortality-rate.html

This makes sense because every model out there predicting exponential death and millions of deaths have been way off.

Dear Mr. Trump.

You can keep your masks. We have just sent Air Canada to China to pick up a few million of them. While we will not forget, we do have enough class class to continue to provide you with the materials to make those precious masks that you stole from us.

We will not shut the power off to Boston and New York, nor will we prevent the 3,000 Canadian nurses who cross the border daily to staff Detroit’s hospitals. And the next time you have a 911, we will still allow your planes to land here and take in your people.

China true friend of Canada?

Dear Mr. Trump.

China true friend of Canada?

As an dual citizen I am pretty upset how Trump is treating Canada. Even a purely sentimental gesture would have been better than straight-up saying "Screw you Canada!" and having China look like a better friend.

It's appalling and Canada has the right to blame Trump and every jingoistic American that Trump is catering to with these actions.

i think lessons learned for everyone

i am certainly disappointed as a canadian

but it highlights a point about  not having all the eggs in one basket on supply chains... in this case china...

I can see why Canada continues to be very friendly to China - even went as far as saying the journalist asking question about china's number as feeding into the conspiracy theory lol    hard to be in between two big countries

time for canada to grow up and not just be the 'nice' guy.

Germany shows how to do testing right (a.k.a. what could have been for the United States if Feds at CDC/FDA didn't botch things back in Jan/Feb):

By 29 March, laboratories had tested about 918,460 samples for the new coronavirus for official statistics, and about 64,910 were found to be infected. This corresponds to a share of seven percent. 93 percent of the tests were negative.

About 500,000 tests for the new coronavirus are carried out in Germany every week, said virologist Christian Drosten of the Charité hospital in Berlin

https://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/medizin/corona-wie-viele-tests-sind-negativ-a-130acc46-b203-4c2d-845e-0594d1dbf87a

Full Translation:

Trump is a passing phase, he has at most 4 more years left. Shouldn’t let the hate for Trump cloud the big picture.

A substantial pivot to China/Comunist Party might result in today’s equivalent of the Soviet Union winning the Cold War. Would the world really be a better place?

Many politician are falling in line.

Time to 学中文?

Trump is a passing phase, he has at most 4 more years left. Shouldn’t let the hate for Trump cloud the big picture.

A substantial pivot to China/Comunist Party might result in today’s equivalent of the Soviet Union winning the Cold War. Would the world really be a better place?

Many politician are falling in line.

Time to 学中文?

Who cares if Cuomo thanks China for sending 1,000 vents? U.S. isn't going to become communist by saying "thank you" when someone helps us during dire times.

NY governor had to go to China to get around scum Kushner. That's the key fact to note here.