Coronavirus

spartansaver

Watching Trump on Corona virus and in almost an hour I don't think the man has completed a sentence yet.

rb, don't let Cubs get to you. He brings up the most rediculous things and then if you ask him a question or to support his accusations he disappears or changes the subject. They have names for people like that.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching Trump on Corona virus and in almost an hour I don't think the man has completed a sentence yet.

rb, don't let Cubs get to you. He brings up the most rediculous things and then if you ask him a question or to support his accusations he disappears or changes the subject. They have names for people like that.

He had to complete at least one gloating/bragging about himself, right?

Why can't the Fed just pay all of our taxes so we don't have to worry about these silly tax bills? That'll juice the economy! Heck, we don't even have to work anymore.

Hey Cubs, I am no particular fan of China. But they did come to Canada's aid when our supposed best friend to the south flatly refused - or did you miss that fact. And unlike some I don't hate every poor person who happens to live in another country.

Hey Cubs, I am no particular fan of China. But they did come to Canada's aid when our supposed best friend to the south flatly refused - or did you miss that fact. And unlike some I don't hate every poor person who happens to live in another country.

You aren't insinuating that I hate poor people - now are you?

You have already said the poor of Cuba don't deserve help to fight the virus, right. Well there you go.

You really don't need to be a boldfaced liar because we disagree on politics.

Feel free to show me anything remotely close to your accusation. .

I've said the Communist government of Cuba has failed their people for 60 years

and the welfare of the people is the responsibility of the Cuban government.

So grow up already.

To be fair, it’s not just the US, 68 countries have banned exports of PPE..

https://globalnews.ca/news/6769162/canada-medical-supplies-coronavirus/

Germany blocks truck full of protective masks headed for Switzerland

https://www.thelocal.com/20200309/germany-blocks-protective-masks-headed-for-switzerland

More important question is not whether US will provide masks but why a so-called advanced nation like Canada cannot even produce enough masks for its own people..

https://www.thelocal.com/20200309/germany-blocks-protective-masks-headed-for-switzerland

More important question is not whether US will provide masks but why a so-called advanced nation like Canada cannot even produce enough masks for its own people..

What I was getting at is it's not that Canada can't produce. It's that Canada doesn't produce. It mostly buys from 3M.

An N95 respirator while looking simple is actually a fairly sophisticated product. So it takes time to setup an operation and a supply chain to mass produce them. You can't just flip a switch. But Canada can produce them, and so can Germany, and France, and the UK, and Switzerland, and Austria, and Sweden, and etc. They all have the technology and engineering capacity to do it.

So now once the decide to do it local (for a bit more money), cause you've decided to fuck with their supply, do you think that they'll task a foreign controlled company like 3M to do it for them? Or do you think they'll have one of their local companies do it? It'll probably cost a little bit more money since the local companies are not as good at it as 3M is, but now they've already committed to spending more on masks.

Expand this thinking to other medical products. A lot of them come from American companies. They're not low margin products either. So lots of shareholder value destroyed there.

Looks like we may be the early inning of governments executing more protectionist trade policies. The parallels with the 1920’s and 1930’s are growing in number and magnitude. “History doesn’t repeat itself but it often rhymes,” as Mark Twain is often reputed to have said.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoot–Hawley_Tariff_Act

The Tariff Act of 1930 (codified at 19 U.S.C. ch. 4), commonly known as the Smoot–Hawley Tariff or Hawley–Smoot Tariff,[1] was a law that implemented protectionist trade policies in the United States. Sponsored by Senator Reed Smoot and Representative Willis C. Hawley, it was signed by President Herbert Hoover on June 17, 1930. The act raised US tariffs on over 20,000 imported goods.[2]

The tariffs under the act, excluding duty-free imports (see Tariff levels below), were the second highest in United States history, exceeded by only the Tariff of 1828.[3] The Act and tariffs imposed by America's trading partners in retaliation were major factors of the reduction of American exports and imports by 67% during the Depression.[4] Economists and economic historians have a consensus view that the passage of the Smoot–Hawley Tariff exacerbated the Great Depression.[5]

Nice find Mcliu - kudos to you for providing some unbiased balance to this topic.

Cwericb - read it and weep.

68 countries have banned exports of PPE.

Cwericb - ...and I am still waiting for you to prove out your bold faced lie....

This whole mask thing is being blown out of proportion by the media just because it’s Trump.

If Canada faced the same problem as US and Toronto had 1,000 deaths everyday, we would ban our mask exports too. China also banned exports, they’re exporting now cause they don’t need it anymore.

Also if the Trump tweet never happened and media found out about 3M expots, the headlines would be:

“Trump exports N95 as US faces shortages.”

It’s all just for clicks.

You have a good point rb, but the govt is supposed to have policies that mitigates this, especially for critical materials and products. If you don’t produce, then have a stockpile. If you don’t stockpile, then be prepared to have the industry ready to ramp up. But we have neither.

Nice find Mcliu - kudos to you for providing some unbiased balance to this topic.

Cwericb - read it and weep.

68 countries have banned exports of PPE.

Cwericb - ...and I am still waiting for you to prove out your bold faced lie....

This is kind of my point that Ive made before. Some of them have zero objective in bringing balance to the table. No context. Just an agenda. Just like how its stated "clearly exponential growth" but then when there is an obvious slowdown its presented as "*might* have flattened"...

Yeah his ramblings are something to watch. He clearly doesn’t not how to conduct a meeting. These WH meetings are  a complete embarassement.

He should just set the tone agenda for the day and let those experts (Fauci, Birx) do most of the talking. Kushner as a logistic czar is a joke too (besides the bad optics) ,why not get a qualified army corps General in charge who knows he is he is doing.

This whole mask thing is being blown out of proportion by the media just because it’s Trump.

If Canada faced the same problem as US and Toronto had 1,000 deaths everyday, we would ban our mask exports too. China also banned exports, they’re exporting now cause they don’t need it anymore.

Mcliu - what a pleasure it is to have someone with some intellectual honesty here. Much too rare.

What I was getting at is it's not that Canada can't produce. It's that Canada doesn't produce. It mostly buys from 3M.

An N95 respirator while looking simple is actually a fairly sophisticated product. So it takes time to setup an operation and a supply chain to mass produce them. You can't just flip a switch. But Canada can produce them, and so can Germany, and France, and the UK, and Switzerland, and Austria, and Sweden, and etc. They all have the technology and engineering capacity to do it.

So now once the decide to do it local (for a bit more money), cause you've decided to fuck with their supply, do you think that they'll task a foreign controlled company like 3M to do it for them? Or do you think they'll have one of their local companies do it? It'll probably cost a little bit more money since the local companies are not as good at it as 3M is, but now they've already committed to spending more on masks.

Expand this thinking to other medical products. A lot of them come from American companies. They're not low margin products either. So lots of shareholder value destroyed there.

And the logical next step is for Canada and Europe and Asia to do something about Google, Amazon, Microsoft and Facebook (and every other US company with a monopoly type position in a vertical). If the US can no longer be trusted as a trading partner then it makes sense to me each Country/region needs local champions in all these verticals. Shades of Huawei. Perhaps similar to what China did (restricting these companies so local champions could grow). If the US is going to act like China then other countries had better get at making the transition. And this would be the ideal time to do it (when the economy is already a shit storm). The bottom line is everyone loses. Should be obvious but politics, just like in the 1930’s, will make a terrible situation much worse.

Why isn’t Africa as badly hit ?

WHO was so worried yet they are basically not experiencing anything even close to North America and Europe

Give it some time. They are probably not out of the woods. Every country in Latin America has it now. I was quite surprised

when my relatives told me.  Not only CV, but a massive Dengue fever outbreak as well. Unfortunately, they will probably get creamed.

The Dengue outbreak is well into the millions - and my uncle just died from Dengue. The hospitals are overloaded in many countries.

But as you know from Cwericb - I won't care - cause they are poor and all deserve it.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Exponential trend continues alarmingly in many countries: U.S., Spain, France, UK, German. Italy *might* be seeing a slope decline/flattening.

We must have a different definition of "exponential" I guess

Spain: new cases per day: stable number since March 24th

Germany: new cases per day: stable number since March 26th

Italy: new cases per day are clearly going down now. also, today for the 1st day Italian IC's were less full than they were the day before.

US still exponentially going up, I'll give you that. But obviously European semi-lockdowns are working.

Guys, the data is clearly on the web in a few clicks.  I screenshotted them to make it even easier.  Italy is clearly not linear in the log-graph which means it is flattening.  I watch the US graph everyday and wait for tell-tale signs that the same is happening to the US.

1363223316_Italy_Coronavirus_124632_Cases_and_15362_Deaths_-_Worldometer_-_Google_Chrome_005.thumb.png.e540e56b819aef6ae28b4df8065d8610.png

95858825_United_Kingdom_Coronavirus_41903_Cases_and_4313_Deaths_-_Worldometer_-_Google_Chrome_006.thumb.png.a52552c32e1b55441e9d27be41b62066.png

1338154760_United_States_Coronavirus_310286_Cases_and_8452_Deaths_-_Worldometer_-_Google_Chrome_004.thumb.png.ad87447789def57cf1ad92fa0166be03.png

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Exponential trend continues alarmingly in many countries: U.S., Spain, France, UK, German. Italy *might* be seeing a slope decline/flattening.

We must have a different definition of "exponential" I guess

Spain: new cases per day: stable number since March 24th

Germany: new cases per day: stable number since March 26th

Italy: new cases per day are clearly going down now. also, today for the 1st day Italian IC's were less full than they were the day before.

US still exponentially going up, I'll give you that. But obviously European semi-lockdowns are working.

Guys, the data is clearly on the web in a few clicks.  I screenshotted them to make it even easier.  Italy is clearly not linear in the log-graph which means it is flattening.  I watch the US graph everyday and wait for tell-tale signs that the same is happening to the US.

Pretty much--All except Italy continue to look exponential to me on mortality, but what do I know? Been posting "useless" exponential graphs since February. Turns out they were not that useless...

It's one thing to ban exports from your country to another, but another to do this:

Earlier this week, officials in both Germany and France accused the U.S. of diverting medical supplies meant for their respective countries by outbidding the original buyers.

On Friday, officials in Berlin alleged that the U.S. intercepted a shipment of medical equipment in Thailand from American medical supply company 3M and diverted it to the U.S., the German newspaper Der Tagesspiegel reported. Berlin's interior minister called the alleged interception "modern piracy."

U.S. gets to reap the benefits of having global corporate powerhouse firms like 3M that have moats and sell all over the world. Actions like this undermine those companies and longstanding relationships with Germany/France (NATO allies which are not valued these days).

As was mentioned on here, actions like this should merely encourage Germany and France to cut out 3M in the future and grow their own in house firms.