Coronavirus

spartansaver

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the thing is, I don't believe you. Because people have told you at least 10 different concrete things that Trump did that were terrible, and you disregarded them all in order to cheer for Trump and repeatedly trumpet the one thing he did properly.

In other words:

Believe what you like - and ignore what he has done:

Very funny Mr. Know-it-all --  keep telling us how that Trump is obviously crazy and belongs in a mental hospital or that he wants to hide the American body count so he can get re-elected.

No way your credibility is at all suspect.

As recently as last week, on March 25th, Trump was still laying it all out in broad daylight:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1242905328209080331

His tweet:

"The LameStream Media is the dominant force in trying to get me to keep our Country closed as long as possible in the hope that it will be detrimental to my election success."

Herbert Trump going down on his own incompetence, his election chances falling as fast as bank stock tangible book values.

-Follow-up to StubbleJumper and orthopa about expectations in Ontario (largest province in Canada) and potential implications.

They have just released data, 'projections' and rationale for policy making (see slides):

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-covid-projections-1.5519575

The info shows what is expected to happen during April, which is the critical time period although the effects may evolve over many months.

Slide on page 4 shows that 90% of people dying are age 60 or older.

The typical mortality for flu episodes is about 1400 cases per year.

Some could argue that they may overestimate the effects of previous policy actions but they're within reasonable territory.

Slide on page 13 shows the projections for deaths, with and without measures.

Slide on page 14 shows the ICU projections.

@Orthopa

You may want to make your own projections and compare to what is being presented today and may consider commenting about the public policy costs versus person-year savings.

@SJ

The evolution of Ontario or Toronto and Quebec or Montreal is very similar even if a superficial assessment of some data would suggest otherwise. The number of 'cases' is higher in Quebec but can be explained by a proportional higher testing rate per capita. The death rates, which are not liable to such distortions, show very comparable new daily deaths by one million population (3-day moving average) and come to 0.43 vs 0.46. I've often felt that the two-solitudes problem was primarily related to the fact that people simply did not talk with one another.

Some submariners might be the last to know about the pandemic:

Mariners aboard ballistic submarines are habitually spared bad news while underwater to avoid undermining their morale, say current and former officers who served aboard France’s nuclear-armed subs. So any crews that left port before the virus spread around the globe are likely being kept in the dark about the extent of the rapidly unfurling crisis by their commanders until their return, they say. [...]

Speaking exclusively to The Associated Press, Salles said he believes submariners will likely only be told of the pandemic as they head back to port, in the final two days of their mission. [...]

“No matter how serious an event is, there is nothing a submariner can do about it. And since he cannot do anything, better that he know nothing,” Salles said. “They know that they won’t know and accept it. It’s part of our deal.”

https://apnews.com/82739c3cf06b8acc415b71fd3c950aa1

-Follow-up to StubbleJumper and orthopa about expectations in Ontario (largest province in Canada) and potential implications.

They have just released data, 'projections' and rationale for policy making (see slides):

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-covid-projections-1.5519575

Projected 3,000 to 15,000 deaths in Ontario.. More than Hubei province in China, up to 5x more. How is Trudeau/Ford govt managing this well?

Projected 3,000 to 15,000 deaths in Ontario.. More than Hubei province in China, up to 5x more. How is Trudeau/Ford govt managing this well?

I think you're not really interested in an answer. If I'm wrong, the answer has been all over this thread. Go look it up.

I'm surprised that you have so much faith in the transparency of the Chinese Communist Party in sharing the number of deaths.

(It's still noteworthy that USA has a 5x per capita death rate compared to Canada. If you think Canada's managing this poorly, you must think that the USA is managing this horrendously.)

I think you're not really interested in an answer. If I'm wrong, the answer has been all over this thread. Go look it up.

I'm surprised that you have so much faith in the transparency of the Chinese Communist Party in sharing the number of deaths.

(It's still noteworthy that USA has a 5x per capita death rate compared to Canada. If you think Canada's managing this poorly, you must think that the USA is managing this horrendously.)

Aren’t they projecting 150k deaths in the US? US definitely managed this horribly. There was opportunity for them to do very well had they acted early. But  I’m not that optimistic about the situation in Canada. I think it’s being mismanaged here as well..

The federal heath minister just said there’s no reason to doubt Chinese #s. It’s a conspiracy that Chinese #s are higher..

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-health-minister-says-canada-has-no-evidence-that-china-is-under/

Aren’t they projecting 150k deaths in the US? US definitely managed this horribly. There was opportunity for them to do very well had they acted early. But  I’m not that optimistic about the situation in Canada. I think it’s being mismanaged here as well..

The federal heath minister just said there’s no reason to doubt Chinese #s. It’s a conspiracy that Chinese #s are higher..

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-health-minister-says-canada-has-no-evidence-that-china-is-under/

I trust muscle 10x more than China or Trudeau.

After hearing the White House say critical supplies are going to commercial distributors who are then selling them to the states which are begging for help, I called

[General] @ltgrusselhonore who commanded federal troops after Hurricane Katrina to get his reaction. Watch this:

@SJ

The evolution of Ontario or Toronto and Quebec or Montreal is very similar even if a superficial assessment of some data would suggest otherwise. The number of 'cases' is higher in Quebec but can be explained by a proportional higher testing rate per capita. The death rates, which are not liable to such distortions, show very comparable new daily deaths by one million population (3-day moving average) and come to 0.43 vs 0.46. I've often felt that the two-solitudes problem was primarily related to the fact that people simply did not talk with one another.

That's a possibility.  I tend to discount Ontario's deaths a bit because they are really skewed by a very small but very bad outbreak in a nursing home (for US members who don't much pay attention to Canadian news, we have one nursing home in Ontario with 65 beds and already 20 residents have died from Covid...the resident death rate in that facility is 30% and counting).  Perhaps it's wrong-minded to do a little bit of mental accounting to discount the impact of that one facility, but if you do that, things are far better in Ontario than in Quebec.

SJ

As recently as last week, on March 25th, Trump was still laying it all out in broad daylight:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1242905328209080331

His tweet:

"The LameStream Media is the dominant force in trying to get me to keep our Country closed as long as possible in the hope that it will be detrimental to my election success."

March 25th.

But but but "Trump couldn't have done anything differently!"

Edit: not to fear: the one proactive thing from this administration for this crisis: prepping 100k body bags so the dead can be quickly/quietly tucked away from the "lame stream media". We don't want a repeat of Wuhan where the dead can be photographed!

I don't fully understand why it matters what a country's exact death count is. If it's what's being reported or that amount times three, it's still insignificant on the bigger picture. We've shut the country down to prevent deaths in the hundred of thousands or even millions, so what does it matter if the exact death toll right now is 5000 or 15000?