Liberty

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great episode of Odd Lots on Tractor Supply $TSCO and how they cultivate extremely knowledgeable staff. I've never been in one but sounds like a store I'd enjoy. The chicken swaps anecdote where TSCO's parking lot essentially becomes a local marketplace for hobby farmers was fascinating too. 

I highly recommend the podcast / youtube series from Asianometry:

https://www.youtube.com/@Asianometry

He discusses some long forgotten stocks like Wang Computer, Norsk Data, Olivetti computers etc. as well as many more topics.

FWIW, I actually owned Norsk Data stock at some point (lost a bit of money on it before I bailed) - yes I am that old.

• 3 weeks later...

Really enjoyed the Bill Chen YAVP interview. I still find it hard to get excited about a 7% cap rate, but I do like his point that some public co’s have long term debt fixed at 3-4%, so with any sort of rental appreciation the math starts to become more attractive.

Edited by Stuart D

• 2 months later...

On a friend's recommendation I started listening to the Empire podcast.  Season 1 is about the Brits in India, Season 2 is the Ottoman Empire etc. I'm only a few episodes in, but if you like history it's a good podcast to listen to on your commute. 

1 hour ago, Saluki said:

On a friend's recommendation I started listening to the Empire podcast.  Season 1 is about the Brits in India, Season 2 is the Ottoman Empire etc. I'm only a few episodes in, but if you like history it's a good podcast to listen to on your commute. 

thank you. Sounds interesting. 

I highly recommend this specific episode where the host is interviewing former Mossad director and another gentleman. You can hear the pain and anguish in their voice. The event clearly left a mark. they seem to be right on point on many issues that need to be resolved. 

It is a great listen specifically for non-Middle eastern folks such as North Americans and Europeans whose interest and understanding ebbs and flows depending on what else is exciting and popping in the world. 

IMG_0218.thumb.jpeg.0b580ef202221329d97fb1eadbcec052.jpeg

Thanks for all the recommendations. I've have just subscribed to many of them.

I like the 3 episodes about cybersecurity from The stock Universe. It's very specific about fundamentals and with many tech details:

https://podcasts.apple.com/dk/podcast/the-stock-universe/id1692081810?i=1000617001065

https://podcasts.apple.com/dk/podcast/the-stock-universe/id1692081810?i=1000623466788

https://podcasts.apple.com/dk/podcast/the-stock-universe/id1692081810?i=1000628850983

Edited by competitive-advantage

• 2 months later...

Apple's podcast app is really starting to piss me off. Every couple of weeks it just reverts its settings to default. The skip back/foward time changes, and above all it reverts to continuous playback.

Any recommendations for a better podcast app? What are you guys using?

4 hours ago, backtothebeach said:

Apple's podcast app is really starting to piss me off. Every couple of weeks it just reverts its settings to default. The skip back/foward time changes, and above all it reverts to continuous playback.

Overcast.  It has "Smart Speed" (cuts out silences) and you can also pay $9.99/yr for some premium features, like ability to upload your own mp3 files to your own private 10gb of file space.  I take epub books that aren't available on Audible, and convert them to mp3 file using some scripts I wrote and Amazon's Polly service, then upload the mp3s so I can listen to them.  

The app is great, even if you don't need to premium features.

16 minutes ago, nafregnum said:
4 hours ago, backtothebeach said:

Overcast.  It has "Smart Speed" (cuts out silences) and you can also pay $9.99/yr for some premium features, like ability to upload your own mp3 files to your own private 10gb of file space.  I take epub books that aren't available on Audible, and convert them to mp3 file using some scripts I wrote and Amazon's Polly service, then upload the mp3s so I can listen to them.  

The app is great, even if you don't need to premium features.

I switched about a year ago from Overcast to Pocket Casts.  You have more control over the silence trimming.  You can set it to mild, medium, or "Mad Max".   Medium is my setting.   Also has speed control and a volume boost which makes voices louder.  On top of all of that, I like the UI better than Overcast.  I used to pay the $9.99/yr for overcast, but I canceled my subscription.  Now I pay for Pocket Cast $14.99/yr.  It's a little more, but the app is so much nicer to use.  Also I just looked you can play your own files with Pocket Casts as well, but I haven't tried that feature yet. 

Edited by rkbabang

1 hour ago, rkbabang said:

I switched about a year ago from Overcast to Pocket Casts.  You have more control over the silence trimming.  You can set it to mild, medium, or "Mad Max".   Medium is my setting.   Also has speed control and a volume boost which makes voices louder.  On top of all of that, I like the UI better than Overcast.  I used to pay the $9.99/yr for overcast, but I canceled my subscription.  Now I pay for Pocket Cast $14.99/yr.  It's a little more, but the app is so much nicer to use.  Also I just looked you can play your own files with Pocket Casts as well, but I haven't tried that feature yet. 

Ooh, thanks, I didn't know anything about Pocket Cast before - I'm going to check it out.