Liberty

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/30/2023 at 5:17 PM, Spekulatius said:

This is a short one from Motley Fool about Buffett buy framework, which I found very insightful:

https://www.fool.com/podcasts/motley-fool-money/2023-01-28-lessons-from-buffetts-investing

The Tod Combs interview from the Graham & Dodd breakfast referenced in this episode is extremely interesting. Highly recommend reading it.

https://investmentmanagementinsights.substack.com/p/graham-and-dodd-annual-breakfast

• 2 weeks later...

The all-in-postcast has an excellent show this week.  They discussed AI.  Some of my favorite parts:

• How legal/bias teams neuter/silence the AI to avoid controversy (and how prompt-injection hacks break through)
  • Whether or not competing AI will "capitalize" to give users choice (kind of like CNN/Fox)
  • Whether or not AI [moderators] will be able to "erase" people from history, like Stalin did (assuming AI becomes the most common source of info going forward).  Related example: is any company going to allow AI to answer the question "what are some of the good things Hitler did for Germany"
  • How insidious it is that OpenAI started as a non profit to keep AI from "taking over" and is now making billions producing a product that is moderating/filtering history [aka "taking over"]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
17 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

This is a fantastic interview with Aswath Damodaran:

Watched a little bit about that, always enjoy Videos with him! Although i probably disagree with his diversification appraoch, we also saw what the Berkshire Duo had to say to that on the AGM :D!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2023 at 9:24 PM, Spekulatius said:

This is a fantastic interview with Aswath Damodaran

Another great one from Damodaran here:

Again explains the story and numbers side of valuation and when it applies more when (stories matter more early in the life cycle, numbers more later)

A great example of valuation with Fisher and Paykel ( NZ medical business ) which is clearly a local market darling and Damodaran comes up with a way lower valuation than the current EV. Seems to upset some people attending but he explains that this may be a great example of a home bias (NZ stock market is small with very little growth companies and Fisher and Peykel is unique there which likely gives it a higher valuation than if listed elsewhere.

He makes some statement regarding AI: “When everyone has it, no one has an advantage etc”. He think if anything, AI will likely lower profit margins overall not increase them.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/389-benjamin-netanyahu-israel-palestine-power-corruption/id1434243584?i=1000620933397

Enjoyed this interview by Lex Fridman with Israel's PM.

Netanyahu is of course a politician who knows how to talk his book and make himself look good. Nevertheless I found it a good listen to balance out the overwhelmingly negative media coverage he gets.

• 3 weeks later...

Odd lots is probably one of the best Podcast on economy / business out there.

I found this episode on how the current Biden administration looks at antitrust very insightful. They are clearly taking a much broader approach than before and quite frankly US antitrust since the mid 80's didn't have much teeth. That has now changed and my guess is that even if the administration changes a tougher antitrust view willr emain in place.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-07-31/the-doj-s-jonathan-kanter-explains-the-bidenomics-approach-to-antitrust?srnd=oddlots#xj4y7vzkg

On 7/10/2023 at 5:54 PM, Spekulatius said:

Informative and entertaining. Moderators changed the topic quickly a few times. I am not sure I buy anything he is saying.

Every time I hear him I think he's very smart, but massively over-estimating his ability to know true things.

4 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

Odd lots is probably one of the best Podcast on economy / business out there.

I found this episode on how the current Biden administration looks at antitrust very insightful. They are clearly taking a much broader approach than before and quite frankly US antitrust since the mid 80's didn't have much teeth. That has now changed and my guess is that even if the administration changes a tougher antitrust view willr emain in place.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-07-31/the-doj-s-jonathan-kanter-explains-the-bidenomics-approach-to-antitrust?srnd=oddlots#xj4y7vzkg

I love listening to Joe and Tracy too, its a good podcast, but my one criticism is they have a little bit of Brogan disease. They tend to let guests run without any pushback when they say what appear to be very speculative things.

If you're old enough to have played Doom and Quake, this interview with John Romero is good:

Doom Legend John Romero — The Path to Prolific Innovation and Making 130+ Games, How to Find the Soul of the Work, Audacious Ambition, and Building in Monk Mode (#681) - The Blog of Author Tim Ferriss

This almost 4-hour interview with Richard Rhodes, author of the pulitzer-winning Making of the Atomic Bomb, is just AMAZING:

#146: The Making of the Atomic Bomb — Richard Rhodes (josephnoelwalker.com)

Pairs great with another long interview with the same author but that isn't too redundant:

https://www.dwarkeshpatel.com/p/richard-rhodes