Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

I guess all of you heard already heard about Chernobyl, the latest HBO miniseries. Super hyped and now the highest rated tv series ever on IMDB. Not sure if that will last, but we watched it and both thought it was very good. Highly recommended.

I'm a big fan of the Coen brothers but I watched the first 10 minutes of 'The Ballad of Buster Scruggs' and thought it was awful and switched it off. Was more of a gay musical rather than a cool film. Bit of a taste thing I guess. Usually I like my entertainment dark and gritty, and especially without singing. Talking about dark and gritty, recently I rewatched 'Sicario'. Underrated movie.

I'm a big Ricky Gervais fan too. His latest mini-series, 'After life', was also very enjoyable though not mind-blowing.

And last but not least, the next season of Rick and Morty will air in a few months! Wubba lubba dub dub!

Chernobyl's pretty interesting because it's so hyped, but all the reviews I've read also make it seem like it genuinely lives up to the billing.

I enjoyed After Life too. It was definitely more reflective and sentimental than any of his previous material. Thankfully, his scything wit and ability to mock are still as omnipresent and hard-hitting as ever.

I'll throw out the names of a few shows that I haven't yet seen mentioned on this thread:

Band of Brothers, Counterpart, Altered Carbon, Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown, Borgen, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, and Bron, are to my mind all very high quality productions that are up there with the best of their respective genres.

As far as guilty pleasures go, I will admit to occasionally enjoying both Inspector Montalbano and Terrace House (https://www.theringer.com/tv/2019/3/14/18264896/terrace-house-netflix-reality-tv), but that is as much as I will say without an attorney present.

One that I haven't seen yet but that I only hear good things about these days is Chernobyl (2019, HBO, 5-episode miniseries). No spoilers please, it's on my "to watch next" list.

I realize it's not the best thing to put a recommendation for something I haven't seen, but it was the highest rated series on IMDB last I checked, so it's probably a fairly safe bet.

A Netflix series I really liked:

"Fauda"      Start with season 1. Fauda in Hebrew or Arabic means "chaos". About the IDF and the battles with Palestinian terrorists (Hamas).

Done in English, Hebrew and Arabic - with subtitles.  It has you on the edge of your seat most of the time.

The series is a winner of plenty of international awards.

• 1 month later...

Just saw a screening of Armstrong. I highly recommend. I had the opportunity to meet and speak with Neil on several occasions. This documentary does an accurate job of depicting him, unlike the movie First Man. The director and three producers were there and spoke after the film. They said Neil's son provided them with all their family videos, and some Neil had from test flights, which had never been seen before. During the closing credits the background music was written by Neil's son Mark and song by his granddaughter Kali.

Edit: Link to Kali Armstrong, Neil's granddaughter, singing Flight of Fancy, written by Mark Armstrong, Neil's son. Some of the film footage was never seen by the public before,

• 2 months later...

I haven't watched it yet, but Marc Andreessen recommended the TV series 'Halt and Catch Fire' as a good look into the startup/hyper-growth business world.

It's a period piece based on a fictionalized company that represents Compaq computers. It's available on Netflix here in Canada. I've got good feedback about it from those who've seen it and it has good ratings on IMDB, so it's on my list to check out:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543312/

• 1 month later...

Just watching “The Crown” on Netflix and it keeps getting better through the seasons. I am in the middle of season 3 and it is exceptional well made TV.

Is it soapy with exaggerated overacting?

I've recently watched, again, Ken Burns' The Civil War. Fantastic, as always.

The Expansion season 4 and The Witcher are coming soon, looking forward to both.

Just watching “The Crown” on Netflix and it keeps getting better through the seasons. I am in the middle of season 3 and it is exceptional well made TV.

The Expansion season 4 and The Witcher are coming soon, looking forward to both.

I don’t think “The Crown” has any overacting, I found the acting exquisite. It’s a bit like Downton Abbey in a way, except all the characters and events are real.

The season 1 was slow at times and I almost thought I would skip and look for something else, but Season 2 and especially Season 3 got better and better.

I don’t think “The Crown” has any overacting, I found the acting exquisite. It’s a bit like Downton Abbey in a way, except all the characters and events are real.

The season 1 was slow at times and I almost thought I would skip and look for something else, but Season 2 and especially Season 3 got better and better.

Speaking of the UK, I just finished watching all 3 seasons of "Harlots" on Hulu.  Good show.

I'm just 6/8th of the way through season 1, but I can recommend "Killing Eve".

This season has Phoebe Waller-Bridge as showrunner, and it shows. The writing is really good.

She's the main actor and writer of the also great show 'Fleabag' (Amazon Prime Video). I've seen the first season of that and really liked it.

This season has Phoebe Waller-Bridge as showrunner, and it shows. The writing is really good.

She's the main actor and writer of the also great show 'Fleabag' (Amazon Prime Video). I've seen the first season of that and really liked it.

Yes, Fleabag is also great. I just can’t watch this when my son is around. ;D.

That’s the thing with Netflix, they have a lot of foreign TV. I am sucker for Brit TV and now Netflix also has a lot of German TV series, Chinese and Korean costume movies and who knows what else. Amazon Prime has one of this too, but no ones else comes close. To get these things one needed  to buy a special subscription, which would cost quite a bit, now it is  included in Netflix and Amazon “all inclusive” streaming buffet.

Disney can’t beat that, but of course they have another angle.

You're right, binged the first two episodes and the acting is indeed superb. I'm hooked. Thanks!

off-topic: I really liked John Malone's recent CNBC interview were he goes over netflix, disney, apple, google etc. worth watching.

That’s the thing with Netflix, they have a lot of foreign TV. I am sucker for Brit TV and now Netflix also has a lot of German TV series, Chinese and Korean costume movies and who knows what else. Amazon Prime has one of this too, but no ones else comes close. To get these things one needed  to buy a special subscription, which would cost quite a bit, now it is  included in Netflix and Amazon “all inclusive” streaming buffet.

I haven't seen them yet, but I've heard good things about 'Dark' (German) and 'Money Heist' (Spain -- La Casa Del Papel).

I haven't seen them yet, but I've heard good things about 'Dark' (German) and 'Money Heist' (Spain -- La Casa Del Papel).

“Dark” is excellent, but it’s also really dark. Money Heist is on my “to view list”.

A recent Netflix docu-series is "Flint Town" which covers some of the themes of my favorite show of all time, HBO's "The Wire".  Flint Town focuses on law enforcement/politics/poverty in Flint, Michigan.

Another documentary also on Netflix is "American Factory" which is about a Chinese glass company opening a factory in Dayton, Ohio.  You get to see how Chinese management/workers mix with American workers.

“Dark” is excellent, but it’s also really dark. Money Heist is on my “to view list”.

I haven't seen "Dark", but "Money Heist" is excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't watched it yet, but Marc Andreessen recommended the TV series 'Halt and Catch Fire' as a good look into the startup/hyper-growth business world.

It's a period piece based on a fictionalized company that represents Compaq computers. It's available on Netflix here in Canada. I've got good feedback about it from those who've seen it and it has good ratings on IMDB, so it's on my list to check out:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543312/

I actually just got through Halt and Catch Fire after your recommendation. Me getting through a TV series is a feat in and of itself. Overall I liked this show. Seasons 1 and 3 were great. Season 1 in particular was amazing. Season 2 was terrible IMO. Basically a frat house with daytime drama and relationship bs. Season 4 kinda sucked as well IMO. After a while, you also kind of just roll your eyes at how the story continues to push ahead. First these guys stole the IBM product, and would've/could've/should've been the ones to create the Mac. Then, they basically developed Ebay. Next they invent Google. Like I wasn't around that environment and dont know what it was like in that space; maybe everyone in SV was really all on the cusp of creating the same things...but I dont buy it. Keep it grounded in reality. You dont need to have Joe McMillan stare off into the distance, and dramatically deliver a "what if...we took.......(insert major tech them that emerged half a decade later)" in EVERY SEASON.