Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

Some pretty good stuff on Amazon Prime video:

The Covenant:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B0B8NZG52Y/ref=atv_dp_share_cu_r

Dungeons and Dragons:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B0B692N4KW/ref=atv_dp_share_cu_r

(much better than I expected, Sort of like the old Indiana Jones movies, Chris Pines does an excellent job playing this with some irony).

Running Scared:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B002R1UQW2/ref=atv_dp_share_cu_r

(older mobster and action movie, pretty hard hitting)

Check this short TV show out on Prime. My god what a story. Really well made. 

It came out in 2020 yet somehow I didn’t even aware of its existence. 

The buyers are Italians. The sellers are Mexicans and the middlemen are Americans.

8 hours ago, Xerxes said:

The buyers are Italians. The sellers are Mexicans and the middlemen are Americans.

Thoroughly agree, one of my favourites.  I have watched it a couple of times.  Interesting to see it’s now on Amazon, I think I came across it on free to air during covid and ended up buying it, to avoid ads.   Dark, gritty, and reminds me of so many great movies/shows but still unique storytelling.  Glad you are enjoying it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 1:40 PM, Xerxes said:

Fantastic show. I watched it a while back on one of our lesser-watched local free-to-are channels.

On 10/20/2023 at 8:14 AM, Xerxes said:

“Gangs of London” had also good reviews

Wife suggested it. Watched most of the first episode; not impressed until - an exceptional fight scene. 

Credits roll - "Directed by Gareth Evans". I'm like "oh ok". Gareth Evans directed The Raid (2011). (If you know, you know.)

On 10/22/2023 at 10:08 PM, Pessoa said:

Wife suggested it. Watched most of the first episode; not impressed until - an exceptional fight scene. 

Credits roll - "Directed by Gareth Evans". I'm like "oh ok". Gareth Evans directed The Raid (2011). (If you know, you know.)

thanks. 
looks like I need to look into The Raid 

On 10/20/2023 at 9:06 AM, UK said:

! am waiting very much for https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13287846/ and https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5537002/.

Meanwhile, I finally have started watching Game of Thrones:)))

Seinfeld and Cheers defined the 90s for me

Games of Thrones defined the 2010s for me. 

2020s there is no flagship. Just one giant pile of good shows. 

3 hours ago, Xerxes said:

Sopranos and Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul? These two, plus Fargo, are basically the only series I have watched or remember:)

Edited by UK

1 hour ago, UK said:
4 hours ago, Xerxes said:

Sopranos and Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul? These two, plus Fargo, are basically the only series I have watched or remember:)

My Classics by decade 

1950s : I Love Lucy,  The Honeymooners

1960s : Green Acres,  The Beverly Hillbillies

1970s : All in the Family,  The Jeffersons

1980s : Married With Children, Roseanne (80s was not the best decade for TV)

1990s : Seinfeld

2000s : Sopranos, Breaking Bad

2010s :  Shameless

2020's : (Nothing yet that I think will be a classic which defined the decade like the above shows).

I think "The Bear", The Expanse" may be decade defining TV for me.

In terms of Zeitgeist, the "Yellowstone" western universe is hard to beat right now. "Stranger Things" is probably second.

The last decade was really about "Walking Dead" which set us up for a Zombie Multiverse. I think it has been more decade defining that "Game of Thrones" in a way.

This decade is just getting started, so who knows what else is coming?

The Bear is really good.  If they can keep knocking it out of the park for 6-7 seasons then you could be correct.

I couldn't get into Yellowstone and Stranger Things is just 80s nostalgia.

I loved S1 of Walking Dead, but then got bored with it by the end of season 2 and never watched it again, there is only so many Zombies you can shoot before it gets old.  I know some people can't get enough of this stuff, but it gets repetitive to me.

Yeah Sopranos and The Wire and who can forget “24”. Damn good times. 

fun fact about the main actor playing Sopranos (James G.)(RIP): HBO apparently paid him to not work on any project after the conclusion of Sopranos series. In order not to dilute his character brand, given how much he was associated with that face. 

4 hours ago, UK said:

80's - Miami Vice, Cosby Show (😬), Cheers

90's - ER, Seinfeld, Frasier

00's - Sopranos, The Office

10's - Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead (first 5 seasons)

20's - House of the Dragon, Yellowstone

Cheers!

I think to really define decade, a show needs to play in the present. So SciFi or Fantasy shows can’t really define a decade. That’s why Yellowstone or The Bear are sort of iconic shows, as Sopranos was 20 years ago. They play in a subculture, but the characters live in the present and are relatable. Yellowstone  plays a bit into flee the city narrative. The Bear is just the opposite about the City of Chicago.

Come to think about it Reservation dogs maybe such a show. I have not seen it, but it does get good ratings and is definitely designed to capture Zeitgeist.

Edited by Spekulatius

4 hours ago, Xerxes said:

Yeah Sopranos and The Wire and who can forget “24”. Damn good times. 

fun fact about the main actor playing Sopranos (James G.)(RIP): HBO apparently paid him to not work on any project after the conclusion of Sopranos series. In order not to dilute his character brand, given how much he was associated with that face. 

I forgot "24"...yeah terrific show!  Cheers!

I enjoyed Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Band of Brothers, Pacific, GOT

Yellowstone is OK, I think it had potential but focuses more on drama than the lifestyle, I liked the spin offs better, 1883, 1923. 

Also for those that like the mob type shows, check out Boardwalk Empire, been a while since I watched it but thought it was pretty decent and as I recall its based on real characters and the Atlantic City mob, Capone is in there also. 

I don’t watch a lot of TV, and I wouldn’t consider myself a huge Sci-fi fan, but I watched the seasons of Star Trek Next Gen and the storylines were pretty good, written well, all the other ST series I thought were kinda lame and never watched them all, couldn’t get into it. 

Also recently I’ve been on a Gunsmoke kick. Black and white, and old, but I love westerns and the episodes are written well I think, enjoy watching them. 

Generally I get kinda bored watching TV and has to be a decent show for me to sit down and actually watch without doing something else at the same time, other than sports.