What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

Adding to SPHR in low 30's.. I think they are working on some sports affiliations which will be very profitable. Their tech is a little ahead of the game now but as the world catches up to them, it will be the only game in town. White elephant or trophy property?

Edited by Cod Liver Oil

I bought some Berkshire b shares today. 

The statistical weak month of October is ending (some equity strategies start investing in November), Berkshire is quite cheap on a P/B basis and Q3 will be released soon, so that will probably decrease P/B further.

Edited by Charlie

13 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I bought some Berkshire b shares today. 

The statistical weak month of October is ending (sone equity strategies start investing in November), Berkshire is quite cheap on a P/B basis and Q3 will be released soon, so that will probably decrease P/B further.

Same.

I’m using Brk and Frph as cash positions essentially for obvious reasons, so happy to be overweight in both.

I doubled down on MAA and CPT yesterday, not by purchasing more, but by converting some holdings held in IRA to Roth, paying >40% taxes for the privilege. it's optimal to wait until low income years to do this, but I just want to build a ladder of liquidity/availability over time, try to do it with the more beaten down names.  

12 hours ago, thepupil said:

I doubled down on MAA and CPT yesterday, not by purchasing more, but by converting some holdings held in IRA to Roth, paying >40% taxes for the privilege. it's optimal to wait until low income years to do this, but I just want to build a ladder of liquidity/availability over time, try to do it with the more beaten down names.  

If you do not mind, could you explain why you like each?  Thank you.

21 minutes ago, Dinar said:

If you do not mind, could you explain why you like each?  Thank you.

I like all blue chip multifamily (I think he who has lowest basis, lowest leverage, and lowest g&a will preserve & grow capital over time). Don't take any of my individual purchases as "I love california vs southeast" or vice versa or "i think UDR's mgt team is better than CPT's". I try to be cute and buy them when mkt doesn't like because of impending negative earnings momentum or general fears (ESS has outperformed this year because it did worst in '22 because of tech downturn/west coast general fears, was buying in '22 haven't bought this year, sunbelt rents are rolling over and there's a supply overhang so CPT/MAA doing poorly, so I'm buying).

It's nice to own a number of them (to extent owned in taxable) as you can swap comps to generate tax losses / maintain exposure. I'll probably sell my ie I'll probably sell my MAA in Nov to buy more CPT and then switch back to owning both...

Maybe buy a little EQR today. 

On 9/26/2023 at 10:14 PM, Spekulatius said:

$CASH (rebought), a bit more BTI and a starter in $CNHI

Also have been adding to PRNDY / RI.PA recently.

Curious to know if you have added to the starter in $CNHI as it has kept falling, trading at 52-week low today.? Any thoughts or expectations for the upcoming Q3 report?

1 hour ago, henrikgn said:

Curious to know if you have added to the starter in $CNHI as it has kept falling, trading at 52-week low today.? Any thoughts or expectations for the upcoming Q3 report?

I have done one small add in CNHI at $11.5 but not buying more although the price seems tempting. I am going to check the Q3 report first.

4 hours ago, thepupil said:

I like all blue chip multifamily (I think he who has lowest basis, lowest leverage, and lowest g&a will preserve & grow capital over time). Don't take any of my individual purchases as "I love california vs southeast" or vice versa or "i think UDR's mgt team is better than CPT's". I try to be cute and buy them when mkt doesn't like because of impending negative earnings momentum or general fears (ESS has outperformed this year because it did worst in '22 because of tech downturn/west coast general fears, was buying in '22 haven't bought this year, sunbelt rents are rolling over and there's a supply overhang so CPT/MAA doing poorly, so I'm buying).

It's nice to own a number of them (to extent owned in taxable) as you can swap comps to generate tax losses / maintain exposure. I'll probably sell my ie I'll probably sell my MAA in Nov to buy more CPT and then switch back to owning both...

Maybe buy a little EQR today. 

Do you know if any of those other guys have supervision that owns a fair bit of stock/units?  Like say more than Terry Toupee' over at AIRC.  I almost bought more EQR "for grandmother" at $54 a few days ago (before you highlighted the swap into ATL).  

Edited by CorpRaider

38 minutes ago, CorpRaider said:

Do you know if any of those other guys have supervision that owns a fair bit of stock/units?  Like say more than Terry Toupee' over at AIRC.  I almost bought more EQR "for grandmother" at $54 a few days ago (before you highlighted the swap into ATL).  

I don't really regard it as important.  They're all going to build their empires. Manage in slightly different ways, get paid handsomely. Chai Truct Co LLC  (Zell [RIP] Family Office) owns $300m of stock, but not clear to me what that does and now that Sam's gone, it's just another company in terms of board composition. 

Mark Parell (CEO) owns  like 240K shares ($12mm) which isn't really a lot of money relative to his comp. Bloomberg says he made $8.5mm in 2022.  Proxy says $8.5-$11mm / year for last 3 years. Keeping job much more valuable than stake in company. Probably true for all blue chip REIT C Suite. 

Add to CROX at $80. Dude is a dud but at 7 times earnings and plenty of discretionary cash flow to pay down debt and buy back stock, I don't care. With a little multiple expansion, a little market cap shrinkage and a little growth, this could double without much fuss.  I will keep it below 500bp because my estimation of the moat may be off.

Edited by Cod Liver Oil

1 minute ago, Malmqky said:

Am I cloning you?

Starter in AMR, seriously considering OXY as well.

Wise man, bought at market open, i am just getting into oil now, late to the party but had time to read up and listen to interviews etc, i am still seing value 🙂