What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

4 hours ago, gokou3 said:

Interesting idea. In the past, share prices of rate-reset prefs tend to correlate with general interest rates.  The consensus seems to be that the current rate cycle is closer to the top than the bottom.  Are you concerned about an rate decrease in the next year or so?

Obviously they do better if rates are high (attractive as not many assets have this characteristic). If we go back to ZIRP they may struggle. 

11 hours ago, lessthaniv said:

Not sure I'm understanding the math on your comment? Can you elaborate on your calculation?

The following is from the Aug 2nd, 2023 newswire but the 5yr hasn't moved materially. 

image.thumb.png.acd9e457c711df5cda3bfce4fed7a41f.png

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/enbridge-provides-notice-of-series-h-preferred-shares-conversion-right-and-announces-reset-dividend-rates-301892118.html

Oh, thanks for making me aware that the rate had already been reset. I missed that news release (and it is also on the Enbridge website, so I can't believe I missed it).
Yes, like @maplevalue mentioned, the 6.112% rate on $25 face value is $1.528 which represents 8.9% on the $17.11 I paid for the lot I bought.

Decided to listen to the gentlemen in the CKX thread and value the company myself/think about the upside a bit more/stop being lazy.

Anyways, I’ve gotten a little smarter and am working on building a larger position. Downside is minimal and upside is $15+ per share. Even if it takes over a year that’s a near guaranteed 25%+ return. 

Also trying to buy more FRPH 🙂

I'm fully invested but a dividend payment landed in my account so I picked up a few shares of SWBI.   It's down about 8% in the past couple of days ahead of the earnings release. It still looks cheap, has no debt, is buying back shares and growing the dividend. I think it will stay cheap until 2024 when the new factory is up and and running and they will have no need for more big capex projects and more cash available to distribute to shareholders or do buybacks. 

LTPZ, this is the only ETF (that i could find) that owns long term TIPS, trades $7mm / day, $635mm market cap

It charges 20 bps/year for the privilege, but I'm willing to pay that given I'm buying these with dividends/interest coming in and sometimes buying only a few k at a time which is quite cumbersome/impossible if you're buying such small pieces of actual direct treasuries. 

20-30 year TIPS yield about 2% real.

If you bought this ETF in 11/2021 when real rates were -0.5%, you've lost about 30% in total return since then, which is roughly in line with the 32% one would have lost buying TLT. Effectively the long duration of long term TIPS offset any gains in par value coming from inflation increasing your principle. Long term TIPS are a terrible short term inflation hedge if real rates rise by 2.5% as they did. 

I don't think they'll continue to rise, and if they do, Ill buy much more. A move to 4% real would cause another 38% decline for these things. I'd be tempted to put a huge portion of my money at that price. 

~20% in bonds of varying kinds, 2.5% in LTPZ.

long term TIPS can only be bought in an IRA. paying tax today on accretion of principle that you won't get until 2053 would be a crazy thing to do. very unnatractive for taxable account. 

3 hours ago, Castanza said:

Not sure if it’s the lack of sleep from the baby or the constant hammering from the roofers….held my nose and bought some M the last two days. 

Also added to NTDOY

@Parsad I’ll bite on the return to fair value thesis 👌

LOL!  Don't worry...I eat my own cooking!

Just remember to keep averaging down slowly if it goes down further.  That's what keeps losses to a minimum and improves the upside if the thesis is correct.

People who just bought META when I started buying obviously didn't do nearly as well as those that kept averaging down with me.  It was the difference between a 20% return and a 120% return!

In the mean time, just enjoy the fat 5.4% dividend that they've paid out for the last 20 years!

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Eng12345 said:

Bought some more C today. Becoming a large position for me with a cost basis around $44.5 - which I’d like to lower a bit more

Your posts reporting on the C position build-up made me take a quick look at the fundamentals:

P/B = 0.42 (ycharts)

P/E = 6.55 (google finance)

Div yield = 5.13% (google finance)

C almost meets the definition of Peter Cundil's magic sixes: 

"They are companies trading at less than 0.6 times book value (less than 60% of book value), 6 times earnings or less, and with dividend yields of 6% or more." ("There's Always Something To Do" Christopher Risso-Gill)

I may add C to the watchilist!

Cheers!