What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

On 7/24/2024 at 11:04 PM, UK said:

Maybe it is not that bad, if you already know this:). And at least size accordingly:)

I love this story from Druckenmiller: 

"I made a lot of mistakes, but I made one real doozy. So, this is kind of a funny story, at least it is 15 years later because the pain has subsided a little. But in 1999 after Yahoo and America Online had already gone up like tenfold, I got the bright idea at Soros to short internet stocks. And I put 200 million in them in about February and by mid-March the 200 million short I had, lost $600 million on, gotten completely beat up and was down like 15 percent on the year. And I was very proud of the fact that I never had a down year, and I thought well, I’m finished. So, the next thing that happens is I can’t remember whether I went to Silicon Valley or I talked to some 22-year-old with Asperger’s. But whoever it was, they convinced me about this new tech boom that was going to take place. So I went and hired a couple of gunslingers because we only knew about IBM and Hewlett-Packard. I needed Veritas and Verisign. I wanted the six. So, we hired this guy and we end up on the year — we had been down 15 and we ended up like 35 percent on the year. And the Nasdaq’s gone up 400 percent. So, I’ll never forget it. January of 2000 I go into Soros’s office and I say I’m selling all the tech stocks, selling everything. This is crazy…at 104 times earnings. This is nuts. Just kind of as I explained earlier, we’re going to step aside, wait for the next fat pitch. I didn’t fire the two gunslingers. They didn’t have enough money to really hurt the fund, but they started making 3 percent a day and I’m out. It is driving me nuts. I mean their little account is like up 50 percent on the year. I think Quantum was up seven. It’s just sitting there. So like around March I could feel it coming. I just — I had to play. I couldn’t help myself. And three times the same week I pick up a — don’t do it. Don’t do it. Anyway, I pick up the phone finally. I think I missed the top by an hour. I bought $6 billion worth of tech stocks, and in six weeks I had left Soros and I had lost $3 billion in that one play. You asked me what I learned. I didn’t learn anything. I already knew that I wasn’t supposed to do that. I was just an emotional basket case and couldn’t help myself. So, maybe I learned not to do it again, but I already knew that."

Good stuff thanks bro

Posted Friday at 06:40 AM

On 7/25/2024 at 3:10 PM, Lance said:

New position in ETHA.  

Trimmed ABBV, nibbled on my tech/AI basket with the proceeds.

Wrote puts on UNG.  

Thanks

Lance

Expand  

What's your timing on the puts for UNG? Any reason to expect prices to not further decrease? 

Hi - typically about a month out.  I sold a few at 3 weeks.  When I write calls on any units that have been assigned I typically go shorter.  

Thanks

Edited by Lance

One of my positions went up a bit today after earnings report. It's my 3rd largest position. Shamelessly linking my writeup here incase anyone finds it useful, I havent sold a share yet and still think it is cheap.  My avg cost is $98.9.  Disclosure: I am long and not advise. 

https://https://mananainvesting.substack.com/p/lgi-homes-nasdaq-lgih

7 hours ago, mananainvesting said:

Any quick pitch on $SILA, I participated in the tender offer. Thanks for sharing. 

I posted it in the investment idea thread. In short its a super cheap low leveraged internally managed medical net lease REIT that just bought back 4% of outstanding shares. Its growing and from i could see has no troubles with tenants right now, unlike other publicy traded medical REIT's.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Malmqky said:

Some Valaris warrants...have a few limit orders that were partially filled.

Yeah, nice. Growing net income, clean balance sheet, tightening market, rates moving higher. All looking positive for the warrants.

9 hours ago, Stuart D said:

Yeah, nice. Growing net income, clean balance sheet, tightening market, rates moving higher. All looking positive for the warrants.

and the history of destruction of shareholder value on an epic scale:)

More HST. CD/money market replacement with > 5% yield and modest inflation hedge. Not expected to be a home run by any stretch, but sometimes three yards and a cloud of dust works just fine. 

Well now I am buying Fairfax again.  1500.50 CAD and 1086 USD

And again 1490 CAD and 1078 USD

again at 1069 USD - loving this.  That might be it for now, seems like someone stepped in to buy

Edited by gfp