Fairfax 2024

Whats funny is a lot of what he's s saying WAS true, and the stuff I used to bitch about here all the time. What he's missing(or purposely omitting) is that these issues have largely dissipated over the past 3 years, or simply become irrelevant in their size. But I think it tells you everything when some jackass needs to "make an announcement" let alone go on TV to bash a company. Its as deliberate an attempt to move the share price as it gets. I would be shocked if he wasnt actively transacting in the stock in the coming days. 

This is where the tyranny of the book value people gets ridiculous. I can personally come up with twice his 18% number in fair value over carrying value and show that book value is at least 18% understated. He ignores the fact that cash flow has exploded 3-4x structurally higher over the past few years and that the stock is now trading at 6-8x those cash flows. All of the historical transactions can be explained by the fact that they were short on cash for a few years... but they're not anymore. The irony is he nailed the GE comparison... in the Danaher / Culp era. Decentralization, quality upgrades, massive turnaround, and now a well-run cash machine. 

Edited by MMM20

Well he would be smart to exit before the annual report comes out, that's for sure.  I suspect his best exit opportunity in the shares was to exit on this morning's open but I assume he expressed this "short" in the credit default swap market so who knows how those spreads look (not me).

Fairfax has no options and trades in in Canada and OTC - this isn't a very good "short and distort" candidate to get others on the bandwagon.

5 minutes ago, MMM20 said:

This is where the tyranny of the book value people gets ridiculous. I can personally come up with twice his 18% number in fair value over carrying value and show that book value is at least 18% understated.

well said.

Earlier today, Muddy Waters Research issued a report regarding Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited (“Fairfax”) (TSX: FFH and FFH.U) suggesting that the book value of Fairfax was overstated. Fairfax disagrees with the allegations and insinuations contained in the report, and would like to assure all shareholders that Fairfax has prepared its financial statements and reporting in accordance with all applicable accounting principles.

Through the first nine months of 2023, Fairfax has achieved record earnings driven by record operating income. Fairfax will release its fourth quarter and year-end financial results next Thursday, February 15, 2024, and a conference call will follow on the morning of Friday, February 16, 2024, and the management of the company is pleased to address any questions relating to those results or the report issued today at that time.

Fairfax is a holding company which, through its subsidiaries, is primarily engaged in property and casualty insurance and reinsurance and the associated investment management.

For further information contact: John Varnell, Vice President, Corporate Development at (416) 367-4941

9 minutes ago, MMM20 said:

This is where the tyranny of the book value people gets ridiculous. I can personally come up with twice his 18% number in fair value over carrying value and show that book value is at least 18% understated. He ignores the fact that cash flow has exploded 3-4x structurally higher over the past few years and that the stock is now trading at 6-8x those cash flows. All of the historical transactions can be explained by the fact that they were short on cash for a few years... but they're not anymore. The irony is he nailed the GE comparison... in the Danaher / Culp era. Decentralization, quality upgrades, massive turnaround, and now a well-run cash machine. 

Quite true. Looking through the report on +/- basis it just looks like a bunch of minor round downs.   Yeah some of their marks are a little funky at times, but then you get a pet insurer sold out of nowhere.  

If this is the extent of any short thesis then I am sleeping easy. 

24 minutes ago, gfp said:

Well he would be smart to exit before the annual report comes out, that's for sure.  I suspect his best exit opportunity in the shares was to exit on this morning's open but I assume he expressed this "short" in the credit default swap market so who knows how those spreads look (not me).

Fairfax has no options and trades in in Canada and OTC - this isn't a very good "short and distort" candidate to get others on the bandwagon.

Yea, I dunno about how he expressed the short, but I tend to agree with Greg's take here. 

I'd prefer Fairfax without all of the inter-related transactions, paper gains, etc. because it definitely muddies the waters 😉 

That being said, the transactions that are the most questionable are tiny, the transactions he points at that are off-balance sheet debt have already been identified as such here and were obvious done to raise liquidity and stay compliant with bond covenants amongst other things, and ultimately I would argue it's probably a good thing Fairfax has these relationships and avenues for recognizing value when the market won't give it to him given the regulatory importance of book value and liquidity for underwriting. 🤷‍♂️

Just glad I got to pick up more shares before what is likely to be an absolute smasher of Q4 earnings. Looking at $1+ billion just in fixed income gains/coupons - not even touching equities or insurance which we know also did strongly. 

Edited by TwoCitiesCapital

Fun times, IMO short report misses the forest for the trees...market does seem to be a bit concerned though, short sellers really are the sleaziest of em all...remember the PDD report that came out...they want to create fear and panic and suck the blood out of unknowing investors. Especially if the short thesis is just weak as it is here...