Jump to content

5 Habits That Will Make You POWERFUL Beyond Belief - Jordan Peterson Motivation


LongHaul
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

 

5 Habits That Will Make You POWERFUL Beyond Belief - Jordan Peterson Motivation 

 

Peterson reminds me of Charlie Munger in a lot of ways.   I definitely enjoy listening to him on almost all topics.  Extremely well read, articulate and wise.

 
The $100 example of a game was really fascinating.  Imagine someone offers $70 and the other person says no I won't take $70 - how about $50 for both.  
Essentially win/win long term.   I don't think it is a coincidence that Ben Franklin, Buffett and Munger and Jordan Peterson came to that conclusion. 
It makes the most sense for everyone long term.  One has to give of their time/money and ego to be generous for the long term.  
 
Enjoy

 

 

 

Edited by LongHaul
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here let me break it down for you

-don't become a junkie

-exercise and stay healthy

-be generous with other people

 

Not rocket science but the best messages are worth repeating. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Isn't this the guy who went on an all meat diet and then got so hooked on benzos that he asked some Russian doctors to put him in a coma? Ya, I think I'll do the opposite of whatever he's doing.

 


https://nypost.com/2021/01/31/jordan-peterson-says-he-was-suicidal-addicted-to-benzos/

LOL. Do as I say, not as I do.
 

America is addicted to self help gurus. You can save yourself the effort and just use some common sense instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's like when famously overweight Dr. Phil wrote a diet book.

 

I guess Peterson has found being a snake oil salesman pays much better than Canadian academia.

Oh, and his daughter now charges people for advice on eating only meat. Worked out great for dad!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your choice of who to listen and learn from.  

I have seen zero evidence of him being a snake oil salesman, but enlighten me if I am incorrect.  

If fact I would say the opposite is true - tons of free content on youtube with many nuggets of wisdom.   

I find his cast of mind very wide and he makes great connections.  

 

One that he said that I confirmed is that 100 million people have died from internal repression from communism.  People don't like to talk about that but 

it is an important fact.

 

Being in a position where extreme leftists bully him, etc (essentially acting like thugs) who are afraid of his ideas is not easy.

I give him a lot of credit for having a lot of courage to say what is not popular but often true.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LongHaul said:

Your choice of who to listen and learn from.  

I have seen zero evidence of him being a snake oil salesman, but enlighten me if I am incorrect.  

If fact I would say the opposite is true - tons of free content on youtube with many nuggets of wisdom.   

I find his cast of mind very wide and he makes great connections.  

 

One that he said that I confirmed is that 100 million people have died from internal repression from communism.  People don't like to talk about that but 

it is an important fact.

 

Being in a position where extreme leftists bully him, etc (essentially acting like thugs) who are afraid of his ideas is not easy.

I give him a lot of credit for having a lot of courage to say what is not popular but often true.  

 

Agree with you LongHaul !

greenwave 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, LongHaul said:

Your choice of who to listen and learn from.  

I have seen zero evidence of him being a snake oil salesman, but enlighten me if I am incorrect.  

If fact I would say the opposite is true - tons of free content on youtube with many nuggets of wisdom.   

I find his cast of mind very wide and he makes great connections.  

 

One that he said that I confirmed is that 100 million people have died from internal repression from communism.  People don't like to talk about that but 

it is an important fact.

 

Being in a position where extreme leftists bully him, etc (essentially acting like thugs) who are afraid of his ideas is not easy.

I give him a lot of credit for having a lot of courage to say what is not popular but often true.  

 

The dude has done some fantastic work - and would be well worth many people studying. I did not know so many people were without flaws? and that Peterson was somehow supposed to be perfect?      Typical bullshit reactions.  You're correct on his discussions of socialism/communism and his debates with many of the morons on the LEFT. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IDK but personally I think you can learn something from anyone. Whether its knowledgeable things they do well, mistakes they make, a thought process or pattern, or simply other behavioral stuff. But we live in a world were the media has molded us to immediately identify with folks as either friend or enemy. If any enemy, its become a trained behavior to just find some surface issue, and dismiss absolutely everything about the person. Oh well. If everyone wasnt so dumb it would be a lot harder to excel in life. So be grateful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, well - if you really want to understand group think, racism, identity politics, transgender issues, anti-semitism, the links between biological predispositions and psychological behavior, and male/female behavior differences - all you need to do is study this guy.  And like you say, forget the bullshit the media tries to sell you as propaganda.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Peterson's message would be pretty unremarkable at any other time in history but stands out today because it is in opposition to the "you're ok, I'm ok" ethos that we surround ourselves with these days. The man has absolutely struggled with his physical and mental health but that doesn't reduce the importance of his message. In my opinion it only strengthens it, because it's coming from a place of wisdom and experience that few of us have had to deal with. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The issue with this kind of stuff like the majority of low-level self-help out there which Americans have an addiction to, is that knowing this stuff makes literally no difference. The access to getting this stuff is not through the epistemological domain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cubsfan said:

^ His group-think message is just as powerful.  

 

"I'm a victim, you're my oppressor - therefore, I've no accountability"

Exactly, losers dont like to be accountable. Its not your fault, its because you're white and white people are quickly becoming the minority and the left wants to scrub you out and take your guns and jobs and make you a third world citizen. Thats the mantra on the right. On the left its basically the same; its not your fault, America has been out to screw colored people because the country is run by evil supremacists. This type of net catches like 80% of the population. Only 20% see that white folks aint endangered and with the proper skillset can easily get what they want and that colored folks are pandered to to such an outrageous degree that its almost impossible to fail if you make any effort. The later requires work though but if willing is a huge opportunity. I remember in History classes thinking how crazy it was that back in the day the American Dream required saving for freaking months to by a ticket to make a weeks long journey on a fucking disgusting ship and then go through a shit hole like Ellis Island and then after that start from complete scratch without even having a place to stay, and then go find work in a non industrialized setting. Today you literally just have to get off your ass. Mental set is the key though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gregmal said:

Exactly, losers dont like to be accountable. Its not your fault, its because you're white and white people are quickly becoming the minority and the left wants to scrub you out and take your guns and jobs and make you a third world citizen. Thats the mantra on the right. On the left its basically the same; its not your fault, America has been out to screw colored people because the country is run by evil supremacists. This type of net catches like 80% of the population. Only 20% see that white folks aint endangered and with the proper skillset can easily get what they want and that colored folks are pandered to to such an outrageous degree that its almost impossible to fail if you make any effort. The later requires work though but if willing is a huge opportunity. I remember in History classes thinking how crazy it was that back in the day the American Dream required saving for freaking months to by a ticket to make a weeks long journey on a fucking disgusting ship and then go through a shit hole like Ellis Island and then after that start from complete scratch without even having a place to stay, and then go find work in a non industrialized setting. Today you literally just have to get off your ass. Mental set is the key though. 

 

THIS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I were to go bankrupt; not just bankrupt, but so financially ruined that I felt the need to flee into the arms of a totalitarian regime to get myself straight again, I don't think I'd be fit to give any financial advice beyond 'don't be like me'. I certainly wouldn't be hocking a book titled '12 Rules for Getting Rich'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If your analysis is "this guy said or did something bad at some point therefore he's bad", you have no one left. Especially, those who tread on difficult ideas. In the age of cancel culture, total connectedness, twitter, mobs etc. 

 

Imagine the incredible stress Jordan went through doing a zillion interviews/live lectures/debates/podcasts/youtube videos/being hated/being loved/traveling all to the umpth degree for years while he's losing one job and his income is growing exponentially/starting many businesses. Perhaps you could say he took on to much, or you could say he rose to the challenge but flew too close to the sun. People fall apart. 

 

My bro watched his paragliding friend explode in front of his face falling 500 feet severing the bottom and top half of his body while he stared into my bro's eyes. 

My bro has been in/out of institutions and is now on Anti psychotic injectables, massive delusions big anger etc. 

 

You are all much closer to madness than you expect. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Gregmal said:

IDK but personally I think you can learn something from anyone. Whether its knowledgeable things they do well, mistakes they make, a thought process or pattern, or simply other behavioral stuff. But we live in a world were the media has molded us to immediately identify with folks as either friend or enemy. If any enemy, its become a trained behavior to just find some surface issue, and dismiss absolutely everything about the person. Oh well. If everyone wasnt so dumb it would be a lot harder to excel in life. So be grateful. 

 

Exactly.  Steve Jobs thought he could cure his cancer with vegetable smoothies or something.  Brilliant people can have wacky beliefs outside their circle of competence.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Gregmal said:

… I remember in History classes thinking how crazy it was that back in the day the American Dream required saving for freaking months to by a ticket to make a weeks long journey on a fucking disgusting ship and then go through a shit hole like Ellis Island and then after that start from complete scratch without even having a place to stay, and then go find work in a non industrialized setting. Today you literally just have to get off your ass. Mental set is the key though. 


Amen. America is the land of opportunity like no other. Work, work, work and it’s likely you’ll succeeded. 

Edited by Morgan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why do we spend so much time taking advice or at least seeking knowledge from those that suffer from deep inadequacies, failures and insecurities themselves?  Anything that starts with "Five Habits..." or "The Seven Secrets..." is probably a waste of time.  Peterson has showcased his inability to control drugs, money, etc. 

 

Just like I'm not going to listen to Oprah about Weight Watchers, I'm not about to listen to Peterson about an all-meat diet.  They are two of the same...cut from the same cloth, but different ends of the spectrum...opportunists, who shill themselves as self-help gurus, but suffer the same angst, anxieties, problems and insecurities that everyone else does.  Rubbish! 

 

I learn more about what is important in life from my six-year old nephew.  Amazing how enlightened children really are!  Cheers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pauly, 

 

I would recommend reading the article.  Sounds like what happened was a really bad series of events.  Wife got cancer, etc.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/31/jordan-peterson-says-he-was-suicidal-addicted-to-benzos/

 

One of the comments Peterson made that also struck me was that you can learn a lot from an enemy who tells you the hard truth.  

I thought it was a great point to keep in mind and open to be rational about it.

 

I agree with Flesh - we are all human and who knows where each us can crack.   Someone devious enough could probably crack anyone.

 

Ultimately whatever your politics I think Peterson has some really great wisdom.

 

If he is a Snake oil Salesman then I am the toothfairy!

(Caveat: I haven't read his books)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He who hasn't heard this song in their heart is lost...

 

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your hometown
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

 

Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

 

And you run, and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

 

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...