Could any US parents give some tips on kids going to private schools?

muscleman

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have concerns that private schools are so expensive and lots of money to pay before she goes to college. But WA is pushing sex education to Kinder garden, which makes me furious. And 90% of that sex education is about LGBTQ.  >:(

My kids went to good public schools in Massachusetts and New Hampshire, but If I had to do it over again, I think I would have put them in a Montessori type school in the younger grades.  Kindergarten for sure.  Forcing young kids into desks for hours on end had got to be the most unnatural thing we do to them.  Sex education of any type at 5 years old is insane as well.  Let kids be kids.  By the time high school comes around any good school private or good public will do.  My kids used to come home from school and tell me how their teachers or administrators were trying to brainwash them.  Simply being raised right by you should be enough of an immunity to that type of nonsense.

Nailed it. Agree 100% with everything you said.

I was trying to figure out what exactly I wanted out of education for my children. I ended up realizing that my goal as a parent should be to give them an education and family life such that they would end up at the top 5 percentile of income and top 5 percentile of happiness. They may end up doing whatever they want but at least I want to give them a chance at this.

I think you can do that with either public or private school.

Vinod

Why are public schools pushing LGBTQ sex ed so early?

https://nypost.com/2020/10/26/tampax-under-fire-after-tweeting-not-all-people-with-periods-are-women/

I did actually LOL here. Its a jungle out there. I think folks just want their children to be raised with a good head on their shoulders and I agree, sex, regardless of what the narrative and slant, doesnt belong in the classroom until middle school.

Do you want your kid be ultra competitive and a “survivor”, or you want your kid be nurtured, around nice people, learning because of curiosity and do things that she likes to do?

If I am poor and I want my kids to be rich, I will send them to boarding school. I myself lived in boarding school the year before college. Came to USA alone to attend college when I was 17.

Now i have a bit of money and I want my daughter to do what she likes and definitely not boarding school.

But I heard sometimes the kids are the ones who requested it. :)

A lot depends on the age of the kid, the circumstances, and how long they will be there for. Kids are pretty resilient, most are pretty fair minded, and many are only temporarily at these schools because of a family break-up. While the break-up is going on, it's often a more structured and better environment than it would be at home.

In most places a kid is grown up by 18 - when they are drafted. Hence a year or two before 18, kids get sent to boarding school.

If the kid subsequently chooses to serve, he/she will have an easier time of it. If the kid chooses to dodge the draft, the life skills will help them land on their feet. But no matter what - it's a responsible kid making the decision.

Predators and bullying are part of life, all kids have to learn how to deal with it. Obviously, the sooner the better.

Seldom mentioned is that a lot of predators in private schools, have the unhealthy habit of attempting to fly from high places. A trip and fall from 3 stories up, cures a lot of attitude. 

SD

Do you want your kid be ultra competitive and a “survivor”, or you want your kid be nurtured, around nice people, learning because of curiosity and do things that she likes to do?

If I am poor and I want my kids to be rich, I will send them to boarding school. I myself lived in boarding school the year before college. Came to USA alone to attend college when I was 17.

Now i have a bit of money and I want my daughter to do what she likes and definitely not boarding school.

Good question. I'd like her to be nurtured around nice people, but they need to have common sense.

There’s two kind of private schools. The catholic ones. And the none catholic ones.

The none catholic ones can be a lot more liberal than the public ones. The catholic ones have their problems too, like half of the kids don’t have immunizations.

I noticed some schools are called Catholic and some schools are called Christian. I wonder if they are different?

Generally speaking a "Catholic" school is operated by Catholics, and a "Christian" school is operated by Protestants. If you have a religious preference between the two presumably you'd go that way. If you don't, I doubt the differences would be meaningful.

Good question. I'd like her to be nurtured around nice people, but they need to have common sense.

There’s two kind of private schools. The catholic ones. And the none catholic ones.

The none catholic ones can be a lot more liberal than the public ones. The catholic ones have their problems too, like half of the kids don’t have immunizations.

I noticed some schools are called Catholic and some schools are called Christian. I wonder if they are different?

Generally speaking a "Catholic" school is operated by Catholics, and a "Christian" school is operated by Protestants. If you have a religious preference between the two presumably you'd go that way. If you don't, I doubt the differences would be meaningful.

You also have to get a certificate/sign off from your church to attend these schools. Your kids have to be baptized.

I don't know what Catholic schools are like now, but I went to a Catholic school K-2nd grade and it was hell.  The nuns were vicious sadistic demons.  They couldn't hit you anymore, but they wanted to.  And they found alternative ways to torture you.  My parents felt bad for me and moved me to public schools, for which I was grateful beyond measure.

You also have to get a certificate/sign off from your church to attend these schools. Your kids have to be baptized.

This isn't true for any of the ones I am aware of. Plenty of Jews, Muslim, even atheist, etc go/went to the ones I am familiar with. Most of the parents, provided they have the money to get it, care about academics and/or athletics, that is it. And the schools, while having a religion class and for the holidays, mandatory mass during school hours, generally milk the athletics and academics as well. I remember having off of school after beating the rival Catholic school in football, and off again for the state championships. Further, there were boosters and even under the table scholarships/grants if your kids happened to be really good at football or basketball. The schools do have alignments, but also are run by intelligent and well connected folks who know where their bread and butter is. As a parent, if you know where it is too, use that to your advantage. Raising a student-athlete? That might be your cup of tea. Raising a rocket scientist? Dont pay up for athletics, if that makes sense.

Anecdotal additions.

It really boils down to personal values and the choices available in your area.

i went to private skools (classic corpus, latin, uniforms, religious framework, the whole shebang) and we've decided to send our kids to public schools, even if private schools are partially publicly subsidized in our jurisdiction (long story). The main reason is that being exposed to a wide variety of opinions and to the 'real' world has potentially positive consequences. Participation in enriched courses and programs is an interesting way to integrate this aspect with more limited impact on the 'core' curriculum. i agree with what some mentioned above when children reach the transition to adulthood whereby an easy course should be challenged. For our children, we decided to have them go through high school (ages 12 to 17) immersed in a different language than the one typically used in the household.

One has to realize that, for most kids, the place where they attend school will have a relatively small impact on the overall academic progress and 'outcome'. i think the major influence, for most, is not the wealth of the parents or even the educational achievement of the parents, it's the parental attitude to education.

One has to realize that, for most kids, the place where they attend school will have a relatively small impact on the overall academic progress and 'outcome'. i think the major influence, for most, is not the wealth of the parents or even the educational achievement of the parents, it's the parental attitude to education.

Yes.  And the personality of the child.  I have two children who attended the same schools and obviously had the same parents, yet one never did well in school where the other excelled.  My daughter who did not do well in school at any level and never went to college is still doing well however as a young adult.  School isn't the only road to success in life.  Every child is different, sometimes it really is nature over nurture, and some people take different paths to get to where they want to be.

Both my sister and I went to all girl and all boy boarding schools. Very 'Eton', right down to the dress, high tables, etc - every wall proclaiming the names of former students who went on to win Beit or Rhodes Scholarships, become cabinet ministers, or lords of the empire, etc. Both of us did very well, but ultimately we didn't send the kids to boarding school.

The view was that the kids would be better served if they just went to school with ordinary people. Add tutors as/when needed, immersive experiences in overland travel and refugee camps at 16-17, and grown up by 18. Mature well beyond their years, they are now their own men, and both have become babe magnets. So far, the preference seems to be strong women, who speak their minds!

Point is, give them their independence, and get out of their way.

SD

We're facing this same question currently with two little ones about to start their school careers. Our main driver towards private school is that most districts in this area (Mass) are in hybrid or full remote "school" which isn't satisfactory for us. We'll likely end up sending them to Catholic school for K-8 and then re-evaluate for keeping them in for HS, or make a push for one of the more prestigious schools in the area.

The fact that public teachers unions are pushing this remote model of school is troubling, and sadly hurts those who need school the most. I am concerned that this will wind up becoming a regular occurrence, with hybrid/remote school from Nov-March each year to avoid cold/flu seasons.

We're facing this same question currently with two little ones about to start their school careers. Our main driver towards private school is that most districts in this area (Mass) are in hybrid or full remote "school" which isn't satisfactory for us. We'll likely end up sending them to Catholic school for K-8 and then re-evaluate for keeping them in for HS, or make a push for one of the more prestigious schools in the area.

The fact that public teachers unions are pushing this remote model of school is troubling, and sadly hurts those who need school the most. I am concerned that this will wind up becoming a regular occurrence, with hybrid/remote school from Nov-March each year to avoid cold/flu seasons.

So basically you want teachers to die for the privilege of teaching your kid?

Because the radical left Democrats want to lock in more voters at such an early age. Republicans are kinda anti-LGBTQ so if the Democrats can turn a kid into LGBTQ type then they can lock in a life time voter for them.  >:(

Because the radical left Democrats want to lock in more voters at such an early age. Republicans are kinda anti-LGBTQ so if the Democrats can turn a kid into LGBTQ type then they can lock in a life time voter for them.  >:(

That is nonsense.

I just spent 2 years in Music Theory etc., with a young guy who was flamingly gay & a vocal Trump supporter.

Another one claimed to be bisexual & was a bible thumping Trumper.

Get your homophobic database straightened out.

That is nonsense.

I just spent 2 years in Music Theory etc., with a young guy who was flamingly gay & a vocal Trump supporter.

Did you ask them why?

Of course there are always exceptions to the rules, but in general wouldn't you say that republicans are anti-LGBTQ and most LGBTQs vote for Democrates?

I've already said teaching kids about sex at 5 yrs old is beyond insane, but I don't think you can convert a straight person to be gay anymore than you can convert a gay person to be straight. Ask yourself what would convince you to enjoy having sex with the gender that you are not attracted to?  If, as was said above, that Republicans are anti LGBQT, isn't it a good question to ask why?  Why would a political party feel the need to dictate how people live and who they decide to have sex with? And maybe they deserve to lose those votes until they can learn to mind their own business and let people live the way they want.

That is nonsense.

Did you ask them why?

Of course there are always exceptions to the rules, but in general wouldn't you say that republicans are anti-LGBTQ and most LGBTQs vote for Democrates?

I didn't ask them why. We didn't interact a whole lot other than time spent in class. I had a small group I studied with & these 2 weren't in it.

I would say most republicans are manipulated by fear & most democrats are manipulated by hope.

I'm trying to be more of an eightfold path kind of guy but am still susceptible to both.

I've already said teaching kids about sex at 5 yrs old is beyond insane, but I don't think you can convert a straight person to be gay anymore than you can convert a gay person to be straight. Ask yourself what would convince you to enjoy having sex with the gender that you are not attracted to?  If, as was said above, that Republicans are anti LGBQT, isn't it a good question to ask why?  Why would a political party feel the need to dictate how people live and who they decide to have sex with? And maybe they deserve to lose those votes until they can learn to mind their own business and let people live the way they want.

Heinlein wrote a short story called Coventry that was presented at the end of Revolt in 2100.

Everything was legal except that which caused harm to another. Humanity had advanced enough to handle this kind of society. I believe the story was simply intended to illustrate how many legal disputes are based on fictitious harm.

The lead character punched someone in the nose for calling him a name. The judge deemed him guilty of assault & gave him the choice of either mental rehabilitation or expulsion from Coventry. He argued that the man had hurt him, but he was unable to prove physical harm. He refused rehab & was placed outside the gates & told that he was welcome back if he changed his mind.

He started traveling the wide world outside Coventry & got waylaid multiple times by other expats.

I won't spoil the rest of the story for anyone adventurous enough to take on a bit of obscure Heinlein societal satire.

Revolt in 2100 is my absolute favorite dystopian story about theocracy.

Canticle for Leibowitz (Miller) is a close second.

So basically you want teachers to die for the privilege of teaching your kid?

Yes.

If there is anything in this world worth dying for it is the education and betterment of the next generation, but you're being hyperbolic with asking teachers to die to educate kids. So let's move on.

Are 70yr old grocery store workers any less important? How about that high-risk instacart driver bringing you your groceries so that you can stay home and collect social credits by posting your virtues on twitter? Who are we really trying to protect here? The wealthy? Or those truly at risk of dying?