Great podcast episode recommendation thread

Liberty

Lately, I've been binging this podcast called Special Situation Investing.  They run a substack too (the pod is mostly reading the posts from the substack).

Nice little short weekly stock pitches and some asides about FI and wealth building etc from what sounds like two hobbyist/financially independent men.  Sounds like they are attempting to emulate the structure of the portfolio of buffett partnerships a bit (i.e., the workouts, generals, and so forth.  They discussed a few spins that were somewhat interesting. 

I haven't really liked anything they've looked at yet, but have enjoyed listening.  They talk a lot about Bitcoin, doomberg, the real vision blokes, pabrai, and the horizon kinetics guys so I would take them more than a pinch of salt. 

I like to imagine they are father and son and wonder if my children and I can similarly share this investing activity one day; maybe that's why I like it. haha.

Spotify has loads of audio books now included with memberships, so that's been great, but I feel I have to focus in more on those than pods.

Also that Knowledge project guy had Chris Davis on recently for a 2+ hour talk that was great.  Lots of repeat stuff but also some new.  Includes a little discussion of serving on boards including Berk, GHC, and KO.  A few new details (to me) about his famiglia.

Edited by CorpRaider

• 2 weeks later...

Jason McDonough has an excellent podcast where he reviews annual reports from historical companies that is surprisingly engrossing. He's gone over how Ford, GM, and NCR started and its extremely interesting to see how innovations that you never even thought about (the cash register) created huge value for the economy.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-10-k-podcast/id1690744153

I like the new BG2 podcast, with VCs Bill Gurley and Brad Gerstner. What's fascinating is that Gurley is genuinely interesting and has a distinctive perspective and Gerstner just spits out some words that make noise as if he were jerome Powell testifying in front of congress. I'm not going to be investing in startups but it is interesting to hear what Gurley thinks about self driving cars, LLMs, etc. Just fast forward through all the Gerstner parts.

8 hours ago, ratiman said:

I like the new BG2 podcast, with VCs Bill Gurley and Brad Gerstner. What's fascinating is that Gurley is genuinely interesting and has a distinctive perspective and Gerstner just spits out some words that make noise as if he were jerome Powell testifying in front of congress. I'm not going to be investing in startups but it is interesting to hear what Gurley thinks about self driving cars, LLMs, etc. Just fast forward through all the Gerstner parts.

Totally, Gurley is awesome, Gerstner just tries to sound intelligent. 

On 3/23/2024 at 12:05 PM, ratiman said:

any specific episode in that new series that you are recommending or general speaking 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Worth a listen if you got an extra hour but definitely not the best episode ever. What was notable was that as I listened the whole housing shortage thing that greg and others have been screaming from the rooftops finally hit me in the face...

After listening I think I'm going to look for some multifamily REITs to look into - I've always stayed away from REITs so I'd be open to some suggestions. 

13 hours ago, Eng12345 said:

Worth a listen if you got an extra hour but definitely not the best episode ever. What was notable was that as I listened the whole housing shortage thing that greg and others have been screaming from the rooftops finally hit me in the face...

After listening I think I'm going to look for some multifamily REITs to look into - I've always stayed away from REITs so I'd be open to some suggestions. 

nothing posted as podcast recommendation

• 3 weeks later...

I came across this video podcast which has some great interviews with people like Morgan Housel, Tom Gayner, Chris Davis and Reid Hoffman.  This one isn't finance related, but I always find that Seth Godin has thoughtful takes on business and life. 

• 3 weeks later...

If you follow media , The Town is a great podcast and I particular like the episode with Scott Galloway

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-town-with-matthew-belloni/id1612131897?i=1000659609901

He rips the writers union for striking and the studios for fighting with each other instead of banding together and going where the money is (tech and AI). I think he got this one right.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed William Green's interview  with Bob Robotti.  Transcription attached.  No doubt some confirmation bias on my behalf because what he is arguing is very much where Fairfax and Berkshire are investing today.

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/we-study-billionaires-the-investors-podcast-network/id928933489?i=1000659920472

1. Robotti believes we're entering a new "golden age" for value investing and active management. He argues:

"The next decade is going to belong to stockholders... the indexes will not outperform selecting stocks and the ability to identify, do research, select companies that are well positioned and have valuations that are attractive."

2. He sees major structural changes happening, including:
   - The "evolution of globalization" as manufacturing shifts from China to Southeast Asia and India
   - North America becoming structurally advantaged in energy-intensive industries
   - A global energy crisis driving demand for both fossil fuels and renewables

3. On energy, Robotti states:

"We're in a very tight supply demand balance in oil today, which I don't think is recognized at all in pricing and yet is an important backdrop." He emphasizes North America's advantage: "North America, because it has an abundance of natural gas that you can't export, has an energy cost that's disconnected from the rest of the world. And that is a persistent long-term advantage."

4. Robotti is particularly enthusiastic about opportunities in unfashionable "old economy" industries. He describes this as:

"the metamorphosis of the old economy. Poor industries that have done poorly for a long time are capital deprived, have consolidated, have restructured and maybe the underlying economic environment is different where they've gone from being disadvantaged to potentially very advantaged today."

5. He provides specific examples of old economy sectors with potential, such as chemicals, building products, lumber, and energy services. Robotti highlights companies like LSB Industries in ammonia production, noting how they benefit from low US energy costs and potential new markets in energy transition.

6. On these old economy stocks, Robotti emphasizes:

"These are fundamentally, structurally different businesses than they've ever been... And yet valuations are extremely modest because, oh, I know that business, it's a cyclical crappy business. It changed. It isn't what it used to be. It's a butterfly today. It's not a caterpillar."

7. He draws parallels to Warren Buffett's investment in railroads, noting how industries once considered terrible can transform into attractive investments due to changing economic conditions.

8. On indexing, Robotti predicts:

"It's the restoration of the fallen stock pickers, active managers. In the next decade, I think have a bright future. And I think I'll be shocked that they don't outperform industries."

9. Robotti credits much of his success to emotional fortitude:

"The successes we've had have been the ability to, the behavioural advantage, of being able to tolerate a loss."

Podcast: We Study Billionaires - Richer, Wiser, Happier.pdf

Edited by nwoodman

26 minutes ago, nwoodman said:

I really enjoyed William Green's interview  with Bob Robotti.  Transcription attached.  No doubt some confirmation bias on my behalf because what he is arguing is very much where Fairfax and Berkshire are investing today.

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/we-study-billionaires-the-investors-podcast-network/id928933489?i=1000659920472

1. Robotti believes we're entering a new "golden age" for value investing and active management. He argues:

"The next decade is going to belong to stockholders... the indexes will not outperform selecting stocks and the ability to identify, do research, select companies that are well positioned and have valuations that are attractive."

2. He sees major structural changes happening, including:
   - The "evolution of globalization" as manufacturing shifts from China to Southeast Asia and India
   - North America becoming structurally advantaged in energy-intensive industries
   - A global energy crisis driving demand for both fossil fuels and renewables

3. On energy, Robotti states:

"We're in a very tight supply demand balance in oil today, which I don't think is recognized at all in pricing and yet is an important backdrop." He emphasizes North America's advantage: "North America, because it has an abundance of natural gas that you can't export, has an energy cost that's disconnected from the rest of the world. And that is a persistent long-term advantage."

4. Robotti is particularly enthusiastic about opportunities in unfashionable "old economy" industries. He describes this as:

"the metamorphosis of the old economy. Poor industries that have done poorly for a long time are capital deprived, have consolidated, have restructured and maybe the underlying economic environment is different where they've gone from being disadvantaged to potentially very advantaged today."

5. He provides specific examples of old economy sectors with potential, such as chemicals, building products, lumber, and energy services. Robotti highlights companies like LSB Industries in ammonia production, noting how they benefit from low US energy costs and potential new markets in energy transition.

6. On these old economy stocks, Robotti emphasizes:

"These are fundamentally, structurally different businesses than they've ever been... And yet valuations are extremely modest because, oh, I know that business, it's a cyclical crappy business. It changed. It isn't what it used to be. It's a butterfly today. It's not a caterpillar."

7. He draws parallels to Warren Buffett's investment in railroads, noting how industries once considered terrible can transform into attractive investments due to changing economic conditions.

8. On indexing, Robotti predicts:

"It's the restoration of the fallen stock pickers, active managers. In the next decade, I think have a bright future. And I think I'll be shocked that they don't outperform industries."

9. Robotti credits much of his success to emotional fortitude:

"The successes we've had have been the ability to, the behavioural advantage, of being able to tolerate a loss."

Podcast: We Study Billionaires - Richer, Wiser, Happier.pdf 265.49 kB · 1 download

Thanks a lot for sharing!

On 6/22/2024 at 7:49 AM, Spekulatius said:

If you follow media , The Town is a great podcast and I particular like the episode with Scott Galloway

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-town-with-matthew-belloni/id1612131897?i=1000659609901

He rips the writers union for striking and the studios for fighting with each other instead of banding together and going where the money is (tech and AI). I think he got this one right.

i’ve never heard of this podcast before. But I’d love the episode. I also listened to the PARA episode. What I loved about both episodes was that the host and the guest were not in agreement about many things… more balanced that most other discussions, I thought.