Question For Those That Voted For Trump

Parsad

“... the board would be much improved if political discussions were aggressively moderated. You're right that political events can have effects. But that is not close to what is being discussed here. Most of the posts in this thread have absolutely nothing to do with investing. They are attacks on either politicians or other posters.”

Seriously??  Really??  Why would anyone say this?

Furthermore, it is not the “board” that is involved in political discussion. Of the thousands of threads on this board, there might be a handful that are directly involved in political discussion. 

Furthermore, the catagory says: “General Discussion - Feel free to talk about anything and everything on this board.” Isn’t that plain English?

There are thousands of threads on the board. No one is compelled to read or involve themselves in any discussion. Sure we often disagree, and sometimes heatedly, but isn’t that what makes a “discussion”. What makes you think our discussions should be censored? Should discussions on FFH and BRK perhaps be censored for negative comments?

The value of this board is centered around discussions of the positives and negatives of specific subjects. But if you don't want to be involved in a political discussion, why would you click a title that says “Question For Those That Voted For Trump”? Why on earth would you not expect there the thread just might be a little political ? The election results were controversial, Donald trump is controversial, so why wouldn't any discussion involve some controversy?

This is not a children's board. We are adults having adult discussions and the idea that we should have our discussions censored by someone is really just a little over the top.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And PS.

I am not a Trump fan. I do not like him. I think he is a dangerous buffoon.

However, I hope to be proven wrong and I sincerely hope he becomes one of the greatest presidents ever. But like him or not, he is the democratically - elected - president - of - the - USA and to those of us didn't support him, give him a freaking chance before criticizing and protesting against him. Three months, six months, a year, from now if he is screwing up (bigly) then go out and protest or whatever. But for crying out loud wait and see what the guy can accomplish before trying to pull the rug out from under him. That's my 2 cents worth.

And PS.

However, I hope to be proven wrong and I sincerely hope he becomes one of the greatest presidents ever. But like him or not, he is the democratically - elected - president - of - the - USA and to those of us didn't support him, give him a freaking chance before criticizing and protesting against him. Three months, six months, a year, from now if he is screwing up (bigly) then go out and protest or whatever. But for crying out loud wait and see what the guy can accomplish before trying to pull the rug out from under him. That's my 2 cents worth.

+1.

Criticize the things he does, not the things you dream up in your imagination that he might do.  I'm sure he's going to do a ton of things which I will absolutely hate, but on day two: so far so good.  He's continuing the drone war which I am not happy about, but Hillary would have done that as well.  He signed a few executive orders which I think don't go anywhere near far enough (defunding foreign aid for abortions, for example. I'd like to see all foreign aid eliminated), but small steps in the right direction are still steps in the right direction.  I wouldn't expect to agree with almost anything Hillary did.

It seems ridiculous but I have to wonder if something more sinister is going on. See https://twitter.com/rascouet/status/823035518313267202

the good news - probably not an opening move in a carefully orchestrated plan to manipulate the flow and reception of information.  the bad news - probably not an opening move in a carefully orchestrated plan to manipulate the flow and reception of information.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-first-days-inside-trumps-white-house-fury-tumult-and-a-reboot/2017/01/23/7ceef1b0-e191-11e6-ba11-63c4b4fb5a63_story.html?utm_term=.e2bc985113fa

It seems ridiculous but I have to wonder if something more sinister is going on. See https://twitter.com/rascouet/status/823035518313267202

the good news - probably not an opening move in a carefully orchestrated plan to manipulate the flow and reception of information.  the bad news - probably not an opening move in a carefully orchestrated plan to manipulate the flow and reception of information.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-first-days-inside-trumps-white-house-fury-tumult-and-a-reboot/2017/01/23/7ceef1b0-e191-11e6-ba11-63c4b4fb5a63_story.html?utm_term=.e2bc985113fa

Couldn't have said it better. Occam's razor.

I think that many of you miss the forest for the trees. I also think that a lot of the leftist money managers on this website should be highly thankful to the American people for electing Trump since otherwise they would have had a lot of explaining to do with their clients for poor returns had it not been for this late stage rally.

While Trump is unable to be politically correct and will keep on making inflammatory statements, here is what the tangible actions are since he is in on Friday:

1- Monday: meets with business and union leaders to discuss job creation, producing locally, taxes, regulations.

2- Today: meets with the big 3 auto CEO's again on the same topic. NBC reports that he will push ahead with Keystone XL and Dakota pipeline.

3- .... You get the picture?

I find that a whole lot better than the communist well spoken orator that we have had for 8 years. All he could do was to tell bankers that he was the only protection between them and the furious public. Then he regulated and created this no hope, no dream, moribund atmosphere. Well, maybe that I am vastly exagerating but, he certainly did not live up to my expectations of Hope and Change.

I will make the two following predictions and you can laugh at me in 4 years or before if I am wrong:

1- In 4 years, the world will do more trade than ever before and by a long shot. When America is at the top of its game, then everyone has to up its game. What people perceive as a trade war will turn into a massive push for every country to be more efficient and innovative which will drive up jobs, growth and innovation. Quite different than this zero sum game being played now.

2- China will no longer be communist. If we can get rid of this regime then the Taiwan, South China Sea, Hong Kong and North Korea issues go away. I do believe that it is the strategy of this administration or to liberate the Chinese people from this evil. If you are looking for a Hitler then look to this leadership instead and these comments are exactly what Hitler used to get to power following The Crash:

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/23/china-we-can-lead-world-after-crisis-in-western-democracy-capitalism.html

Cardboard

Cardboard, have you been to China in the last few years?  It's nothing like you are saying or imagining.  They've embraced capitalism in such a way, that it would make Adam Smith blush.  I saw as many people suffering there, as I do in Canada or the United States...and the prosperity was equal as well.

In terms of the deception, control, restriction of freedoms and rights, etc, it's probably no better or worse than any Western democracy.  I would say that such behavior will become part of this new U.S. administration rather quickly as well...both driving the capitalist engine and censoring the press, freedoms, rights and deception is already part of their manifesto.  Cheers!

Since we are making predictions 4-years forward, I'll offer another:

Race relations in America, as measured by opinion polls, will show overwhelming improvement from today.

Yes, when presented as "alternative facts"!  ;D  Cheers!

And PS.

+1.

Criticize the things he does, not the things you dream up in your imagination that he might do.  I'm sure he's going to do a ton of things which I will absolutely hate, but on day two: so far so good.  He's continuing the drone war which I am not happy about, but Hillary would have done that as well.  He signed a few executive orders which I think don't go anywhere near far enough (defunding foreign aid for abortions, for example. I'd like to see all foreign aid eliminated), but small steps in the right direction are still steps in the right direction.  I wouldn't expect to agree with almost anything Hillary did.

I agree...in terms of business and the economy, so far so good.  I just wish he would worry about that more than how he is portrayed, or crowd size, etc. 

I'm also terribly worried that this administration will take women's rights backwards a couple of decades.  I don't have any children of my own, but I do have cousins and nieces in the U.S.  We will watch and see!  Cheers!

<In terms of the deception, control, restriction of freedoms and rights, etc, it's probably no better or worse than any Western democracy. >

Chinese people are as free as American or European citizens? Is anyone telling us how many children we can have, or jailing / torturing journalists?

Parsad, am I understanding you correctly?

<In terms of the deception, control, restriction of freedoms and rights, etc, it's probably no better or worse than any Western democracy. >

Chinese people are as free as American or European citizens? Is anyone telling us how many children we can have, or jailing / torturing journalists?

Parsad, am I understanding you correctly?

I think Sanjeev will have to "walk this one back", as they say on CNN.

See, for instance:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Firewall

Guest Schwab711

To be fair, several journalists have been arrested in Furgueson/Baltimore riots, Dakota pipeline, women's march, ECT. Generally on flimsy charges.

Most police forces have more military vehicles/ammo than some countries. Every call and email is monitored (and saved if speaking with any foreign person, including Canadians and British). We have secret courts, extrajudicial killings of citizens, and a court system that infringes on the rights to a competent attorney and speedy trial.

China does not seem all that different. I think our issues are more rare but the West is not without numerous flaws.

To be fair, several journalists have been arrested in Furgueson/Baltimore riots, Dakota pipeline, women's march, ECT. Generally on flimsy charges.

Most police forces have more military vehicles/ammo than some countries. Every call and email is monitored (and saved if speaking with any foreign person, including Canadians and British). We have secret courts, extrajudicial killings of citizens, and a court system that infringes on the rights to a competent attorney and speedy trial.

China does not seem all that different. I think our issues are more rare but the West is not without numerous flaws.

OK. Clearly western democracies are not perfect, and the freedoms we enjoy are not absolute.  In my opinion we've been moving in the wrong direction in terms of personal freedoms for many years now.  But it's disingenuous to draw a few parallels and then claim China does not seem all that different.  It's like saying, "Humans have two eyes, a nose, and legs.  Humans don't seem all that different from dogs."  You're just ignoring the major differences.  For instance, in addition to your examples of governmental infringements, China has formal state censorship, aggressive suppression of dissent, and restrictions on procreation.  We're nowhere close. (Yet!) 

Censorship:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/badlands-national-park-twitter-goes-rogue-starts-tweeting-facts-about-the-environment/

I agree, we are more similar to China than most people think

I think the strength of your example perfectly illustrates how *different* censorship is in the US compared to China.

True, and I was being semi facetious. Nonetheless this clearly demonstrates the elements fascism present in this administration, along with the other examples in just the first few days of office. No, we're not quite China or Russia, but nothing changes that drastically overnight.

Parsad

Whilst I respect you enormously and have no doubts about your integrity - I'm offended by the statement you made at the bottom.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Having grown up on the wrong side of the iron curtain, I can tell you that any such regime is not 'more or less' the same as Western style democracy. In China, I very much doubt you can speak your mind (look at what's going on in HK with people not wishing to come under the party rule thumb) ... at least not if your views or beliefs are contrary to that of the ruling party. In China, if the government wants to take your land - it will. And will give a fig about your rights or compensating you.

This does not happen in Italy, Spain, Germany, the UK, France, the US, Canada, etc. Etc. So I seriously think that was an inconsiderate and ill considered remark.

C.

I think that many of you miss the forest for the trees. I also think that a lot of the leftist money managers on this website should be highly thankful to the American people for electing Trump since otherwise they would have had a lot of explaining to do with their clients for poor returns had it not been for this late stage rally.

While Trump is unable to be politically correct and will keep on making inflammatory statements, here is what the tangible actions are since he is in on Friday:

1- Monday: meets with business and union leaders to discuss job creation, producing locally, taxes, regulations.

2- Today: meets with the big 3 auto CEO's again on the same topic. NBC reports that he will push ahead with Keystone XL and Dakota pipeline.

I find that a whole lot better than the communist well spoken orator that we have had for 8 years. All he could do was to tell bankers that he was the only protection between them and the furious public. Then he regulated and created this no hope, no dream, moribund atmosphere. Well, maybe that I am vastly exagerating but, he certainly did not live up to my expectations of Hope and Change.

I will make the two following predictions and you can laugh at me in 4 years or before if I am wrong:

1- In 4 years, the world will do more trade than ever before and by a long shot. When America is at the top of its game, then everyone has to up its game. What people perceive as a trade war will turn into a massive push for every country to be more efficient and innovative which will drive up jobs, growth and innovation. Quite different than this zero sum game being played now.

2- China will no longer be communist. If we can get rid of this regime then the Taiwan, South China Sea, Hong Kong and North Korea issues go away. I do believe that it is the strategy of this administration or to liberate the Chinese people from this evil. If you are looking for a Hitler then look to this leadership instead and these comments are exactly what Hitler used to get to power following The Crash:

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/23/china-we-can-lead-world-after-crisis-in-western-democracy-capitalism.html

Cardboard

Cardboard, have you been to China in the last few years?  It's nothing like you are saying or imagining.  They've embraced capitalism in such a way, that it would make Adam Smith blush.  I saw as many people suffering there, as I do in Canada or the United States...and the prosperity was equal as well.

In terms of the deception, control, restriction of freedoms and rights, etc, it's probably no better or worse than any Western democracy.  I would say that such behavior will become part of this new U.S. administration rather quickly as well...both driving the capitalist engine and censoring the press, freedoms, rights and deception is already part of their manifesto.  Cheers!

Parsad

Whilst I respect you enormously and have no doubts about your integrity - I'm offended by the statement you made at the bottom.

Having grown up on the wrong side of the iron curtain, I can tell you that any such regime is not 'more or less' the same as Western style democracy. In China, I very much doubt you can speak your mind (look at what's going on in HK with people not wishing to come under the party rule thumb) ... at least not if your views or beliefs are contrary to that of the ruling party. In China, if the government wants to take your land - it will. And will give a fig about your rights or compensating you.

This does not happen in Italy, Spain, Germany, the UK, France, the US, Canada, etc. Etc. So I seriously think that was an inconsiderate and ill considered remark.

C.

Cardboard

Thankyou Sunrider. 

I agree...in terms of business and the economy, so far so good.  I just wish he would worry about that more than how he is portrayed, or crowd size, etc. 

I'm also terribly worried that this administration will take women's rights backwards a couple of decades.  I don't have any children of my own, but I do have cousins and nieces in the U.S.  We will watch and see!  Cheers!

I agree with your first statement above.  He is obviously letting what people say get to him.  He needs to get over it and rein in his ego a bit.

As for women's' rights I know he said that he is against abortion, but that ship has sailed, he will never be able to ban abortion in the US.  It isn't going to happen.  What he can do is stop government funding, which is something I support.  Government should stop funding a lot of things.  We'll see, but I don't think he can do much damage to women's rights even if he wanted to, which is something I doubt.  Just as he goes on and on about God all the time, I don't think he is really any more religious than I am.  He talks about god and abortion because he thinks he has to.  That is what his base of support expects.  I doubt he really cares about it though.  What concerns me most about him is three things: Military spending/war, protectionism/trade restrictions, and this stupid "build a wall" idea he has.

Parsad

C.

Cardboard

Thanks for this.  Someone needed to say it.

China vs the West on freedom is night and day. They may have embraced capitalism but, without democracy, it is not a free state.

Regarding freedom, there is something however that is fundamentally wrong in Western democracies:

1) Paid demonstrators and trouble makers/riot organizers.

2) Media lies that can severely hurt to all the way destroy individuals.

This should be looked at and stronger laws put in place to prevent such abuse. It is part of democracy to demonstrate and have a free press but, there should be limits when it infringes on individual rights and property.

Cardboard

China vs the West on freedom is night and day. They may have embraced capitalism but, without democracy, it is not a free state.

Regarding freedom, there is something however that is fundamentally wrong in Western democracies:

1) Paid demonstrators and trouble makers/riot organizers.

2) Media lies that can severely hurt to all the way destroy individuals.

This should be looked at and stronger laws put in place to prevent such abuse. It is part of democracy to demonstrate and have a free press but, there should be limits when it infringes on individual rights and property.

Cardboard

Never forget that China is a communist state, it is controlled by the PRC, they are very good at what they do, & not about to give it up.

What the west sees of China, is primarily what the PRC wants the west to see. The use of propaganda is routine, & effective.

Of course all states use propaganda, & have done so for centuries.

We think it also likely there will be more trade in 4 years than there is now, but it will also look very different.

In the business world we routinely negotiate agreements bi-laterally, & usually for no more than 5 year chunks with 1-2 option extensions at best; it's quicker, agile, a lot easier to achieve, and explicitly recognises that times change. However, this kind of approach is highly threatening to a great many people - so expect aggressive & nasty pushback.

Leopards, & crocodiles, don't change their character; they change their masks.

Rebranding the KGB to the 'newer, friendlier FSB' - didn't change what it does, how it does it, or the former head of it.

He just wears a nicer suit.

SD

Parsad

In China, I very much doubt you can speak your mind (look at what's going on in HK with people not wishing to come under the party rule thumb) ... at least not if your views or beliefs are contrary to that of the ruling party. In China, if the government wants to take your land - it will. And will give a fig about your rights or compensating you.

C.

Let me start by saying that I am Chinese Canadian and have long believed many of the preconceptions that the West has about China, including some of the things you said here. But my views have changed as I've gotten older and have come to understand China and its government better.

1) With respect to freedom of speech:

Yes, it is far restricted compared to what happens in the West. But it's far less than what many think. The Chinese people frequently criticize the Communist Party, so much so that my parents here are annoyed by their relatives' complaining in China.

Don't mistake the Chinese people for being ignorant about their government's faults - they know plenty (internet is a huge source of information). But for now, they are willing to put up with a lot of things because they're getting wealthier. That's the key for both the Chinese people and the Communist Party - economic growth.

2) Property rights and the government's ability to appropriate:

This is a patently false. Granting property rights to citizens was one of the key policies that jump-started China's growth after Deng Xiaoping came into power. Property is also the most valuable asset by far in Chinese households. Chinese government officials know how important this is and they also value social stability above all else.

A municipal government has to pay for property to make way for more development. Now, that is not to say shenanigans doesn't happen. In some places, such transactions are rigged with information asymmetry and the transaction process is highly corrupted. This drew a lot of attention some time ago and such practices are being cracked down on.

In sum: there are plenty of things wrong about China, but there is no doubt that it is improving. The senior officials of the party aren't like the ideologues of the past - many of them have experienced some of the worst that happened during the Mao years. In my view, the Chinese leadership today are more pragmatic than ideological and they think long-term. They know that economic growth requires more reform and more opening but they also value social stability above all else which is why they want the changes to happen gradually.

"...the Chinese leadership today are more pragmatic than ideological and they think long-term. They know that economic growth requires more reform and more opening but they also value social stability above all else which is why they want the changes to happen gradually."

Sorry but, LOL.

The only reason why they are doing this is to retain their power. It is not like someday they will say: "Oh, the economic growth and reform has reached a sufficient level. We can now have free elections."...

Then their continued support of North Korea. Trying to acquire a vast chunk of Ocean with force. No other nation does that. Threathening with force Taiwan if they ever wanted to become independent.

The latter is actually what we need to help happen. Then the whole One China thing will collapse along with Mongolia and a few other Provinces. It will put the final touch on Mao's legacy and his Red Army.

Cardboard

"...the Chinese leadership today are more pragmatic than ideological and they think long-term. They know that economic growth requires more reform and more opening but they also value social stability above all else which is why they want the changes to happen gradually."

Sorry but, LOL.

The only reason why they are doing this is to retain their power. It is not like someday they will say: "Oh, the economic growth and reform has reached a sufficient level. We can now have free elections."...

Then their continued support of North Korea. Trying to acquire a vast chunk of Ocean with force. No other nation does that. Threathening with force Taiwan if they ever wanted to become independent.

The latter is actually what we need to help happen. Then the whole One China thing will collapse along with Mongolia and a few other Provinces. It will put the final touch on Mao's legacy and his Red Army.

Cardboard

Of course they want to retain their power and they also believe that they also believe that they are the only party who can govern China. Whether that is right or wrong, who knows?

But keep in mind this: before the Communist Party came into existence, China was largely a feudal society that went no where for over a century. The country has NEVER EVER had a democracy in its history...you think that such radical change can happen cold turkey? This will take time to develop.

The rest of your post just reveals a deep ignorance on geopolitics.