Buffett/Berkshire - general news

36 minutes ago, yesman182 said:

Glad he read the proxy 

yup, I love Buffett still remains rational and looks to protect BRK (and the shareholders) in the future, by “nudging” the board to own more stock. Again, totally opposite to most boards where directors own little stock. I’d love too see everyone on the board REALLY scale up their holdings.

Edited by longlake95

55 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

Haha - swingtrader Warren:

Cool find. 

I'd be curious to see this on a dollar basis. I would guess holding longer naturally makes the ones he's held longest the highest dollar basis. I also think it shows a strategy of buying and killing. As in start to buy something and then kill it so it leaves the portfolio quickly.  

2 hours ago, spartansaver said:

Cool find. 

I'd be curious to see this on a dollar basis. I would guess holding longer naturally makes the ones he's held longest the highest dollar basis. I also think it shows a strategy of buying and killing. As in start to buy something and then kill it so it leaves the portfolio quickly.  

So maybe the Oracle does a ton more DD after an initial purchase, just like a lot of people 😜

23 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

swingtrader Warren

Does anyone else wonder if he sort of HAS to do this to prevent even more cloning that pushes prices up prohibitively? If all of his purchases were "forever" buys, then the initial price spikes on the news of him buying would be even higher, preventing him from accumulating as big a position as he might want. So maybe he needs to mix in some low conviction buys that he's likely to sell after a couple of quarters to dilute his overall signaling to the market.

We need to differentiate between Educational Buffett, 2023 Buffett, Turnaround Buffett, and Asset-based Buffett.

• Educational Buffett refers to Buffett sharing knowledge with followers who often have less than $1 million in investments.
  • 2023 Buffett represents Buffett with significant cash reserves, which limits his investment opportunities due to the sheer size of the investments required.
  • Turnaround Buffett focuses on companies in crisis with low prices compared to their true business value.
  • Asset-based Buffett looks for businesses like oil companies with a high proportion of assets compared to their price.

Buffett evaluates the best opportunity, and if he had a smaller sum to invest in a single great company for the long term, he would likely do that, unless there were other major opportunities available.

23 hours ago, dymanojbabu said:

@dymanojbabu,

With all respect and politiliness, we don't need  - blank - links to substack items here on CoBF. What we may demand is your personal comments to such, expressing your opinion at the matters at hand.

Otherwise, we all drown in posts here on CoBF about etc. how many shares has Mr. Abel acquired this week et. al.- or what do I know. 

In short, please put our own personal angles to your postings to spice things up, and those will be met by a lot constructive interaction.

16 minutes ago, dealraker said:

Buffett...99% of his net worth in one stock since 1965.

That's called buy and hold.  

Well, may be more accurate to replace the word "stock" with "business"

Point is Buffett has been in a few key businesses the majority of his career, in, out, and back in of others, and gave up on still others. So maybe 1 stock but quite a few businesses.   

Anyways it’s a moot point but in general I think Buy and hold works for the index. Selling fax machines  works until it doesn’t. 

Edited by LC

On 3/25/2023 at 10:12 PM, LC said:

Point is Buffett has been in a few key businesses the majority of his career, in, out, and back in of others, and gave up on still others. So maybe 1 stock but quite a few businesses.   

Anyways it’s a moot point but in general I think Buy and hold works for the index. Selling fax machines  works until it doesn’t. 

Yes.

On 3/25/2023 at 12:35 PM, John Hjorth said:

@dymanojbabu,

With all respect and politiliness, we don't need  - blank - links to substack items here on CoBF. What we may demand is your personal comments to such, expressing your opinion at the matters at hand.

Otherwise, we all drown in posts here on CoBF about etc. how many shares has Mr. Abel acquired this week et. al.- or what do I know. 

In short, please put our own personal angles to your postings to spice things up, and those will be met by a lot constructive interaction.

Completely agree, nothing aimed at the original poster. But a quick summary of why the link was interesting to to poster or why the board would benefit seems reasonable. 

1 hour ago, BiggieCheese said:

This is a request, so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong spot, but has anyone come across a good primer/industry overview of the Japanese trading houses?

https://www.marubeni.com/en/research/report/political_economy/global/data/shoshaexp-20170629_003.pdf

This might help.

Also at least a couple seeking alpha articles taking a look since Berkshire's investment became public -

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4373016-reverse-engineering-buffetts-thinking-those-japanese-trading-companies

5 hours ago, gfp said:

Thanks @gfp

i emailed the CNBC marketing person and got two indecipherable responses to this question:

We know that CNBC “streams” the meeting on their “website”.

Q: Does CNBC broadcast the meeting on their TV channel?

… I’m preparing a watch party at my house …

Edited by crs223

On 3/31/2023 at 7:46 PM, crs223 said:

i emailed the CNBC marketing person and got two indecipherable responses to this question:

We know that CNBC “streams” the meeting on their “website”.

Q: Does CNBC broadcast the meeting on their TV channel?

… I’m preparing a watch party at my house …

Here you go...

IMG_4377.jpg

On 3/25/2023 at 2:35 PM, John Hjorth said:

@dymanojbabu,

I appreciated the link.  There were some articles or information I didn't see.  I liked the summary.

On 3/31/2023 at 10:41 AM, BiggieCheese said:

This is a request, so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong spot, but has anyone come across a good primer/industry overview of the Japanese trading houses?

All the companies have very good investor relations sections on their websites in English with lots of interesting information. Happy digging!