Buffett/Berkshire - general news

3 hours ago, stahleyp said:

I would take the other side of that bet. I would be very, very surprised if this is not too big of a beast for someone less capable than Buffett to manage. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a bunch of spin offs down the road.

To each his own. We are all free to bet the way we want & that's what makes it a market. 

1 hour ago, cubsfan said:

How does Warren do this when he's made clear to many sellers that their companies will not be sold once acquired for Berkshire?   I believe his only condition was that unless the business was struggling and forecasting unending losses - he would not sell the founder's business for a few extra points of return to Berkshire.

He's not going to violate that promise, given his reputation.

True. He's also unlikely to be around making or keeping promises for many more decades.

Nobody thinks it will be broken up in his lifetime. 10-15 years down the road after his A shares have been converted to Bs it's more possible.

24 minutes ago, bizaro86 said:

True. He's also unlikely to be around making or keeping promises for many more decades.

Nobody thinks it will be broken up in his lifetime. 10-15 years down the road after his A shares have been converted to Bs it's more possible.

I likely didn't say this correctly. My assumption was that his promise is for Berkshire to keep forever. 

Maybe that's not true?  

If the company could be taken over - that's different. 

But I expected as long as the acquisition was not a sustained money loser OR it damaged Berkshire's reputation - subs would not be sold to make a few bucks. Doesn't seem like the board would bend on this. And as stated, the corporate structure seems deliberate to make it difficult.

Anybody know if Warren's promise to selling founders extends beyond his passing?

Sooner or later someone is going to ask them to do Liberty style tracking stocks. I mean who wouldn’t want to buy some $BAPLK (Berkshire Apple Group Series C) and get AAPL at a 40% discount plus some shares of See’s Candy and Benjamin Moore thrown in for free?

23 hours ago, cubsfan said:

How does Warren do this when he's made clear to many sellers that their companies will not be sold once acquired for Berkshire?   I believe his only condition was that unless the business was struggling and forecasting unending losses - he would not sell the founder's business for a few extra points of return to Berkshire.

He's not going to violate that promise, given his reputation.

He won't, I agree. That doesn't mean someone else won't. Unless there is some legal binding thing I'm not aware of, seems like it's doable and dare I say, likely, when he's no longer running the show.

5 hours ago, MCR said:

Just saw Adam Mead Tweet about ROIC.AI: "It's like ValueLine for free."

What do you think? https://roic.ai/company/BRK-A

I like the layout but wonder why you cant create a portfolio of stocks you want to keep tabs on rather than always having to search each individually. Seems like a pretty basic offering that all the other info providers have ie. Finviz, yahoo, google. 

7 hours ago, Kuhndan said:

I don’t have a subscription to the article but it is about this guy

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BSWQP3Y7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860&asin=B0BSWQP3Y7&revisionId=&format=4&depth=1

I just visited his website. Seems alot of self promotion and not sure why he is publishing some of his buys... Is he legit? 

Edited by throw123

28 minutes ago, John Hjorth said:

This is the letter the SEC sent

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1067983/000000000022009598/filename1.pdf

Berkshire's response "As requested, we confirm that we will enhance future proxy disclosures in accordance with topics discussed in the Corp Finance Letter as well as to any material developments to Berkshire Hathaway's risk oversight structure."

It also asked Berkshire to address whether its lead independent director can override Buffett on risk matters or ask the board to consider them. 

Where in the world will you find somebody better than Charlie to do that? We have here the two most risk averse guys in corporate america and we have to find somebody to check them...

Hey Mr Buss you better find somebody who will teach Lebron how to play before giving him all that money!!! 😂

5 minutes ago, MarioP said:

It also asked Berkshire to address whether its lead independent director can override Buffett on risk matters or ask the board to consider them. 

Where in the world will you find somebody better than Charlie to do that? We have here the two most risk averse guys in corporate america and we have to find somebody to check them...

Hey Mr Buss you better find somebody who will teach Lebron how to play before giving him all that money!!! 😂

@MarioP,

Personally, I consider the question asked relevant. Let's see the Berskhire reply first, and then, let's discuss.

1 hour ago, gfp said:

Berkshire's proxy should be out any day now.  I don't even know who they are calling the "lead" independent director these days.  At one point it was Gates.

Based on your post, @gfp,

I tried to look around on the Berkshire website, also out in the corners. All to no awail about determining ""lead" independent director".

Hum-ho, change gonna come.

Edited by John Hjorth

2 hours ago, John Hjorth said:

Based on your post, @gfp,

I tried to look around on the Berkshire website, also out in the corners. All to no awail about determining ""lead" independent director".

Hum-ho, change gonna come.

Isn't Susan Decker considered the lead independent director?

On another topic, how many shares of OXY do you think Omaha scooped up today?