What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

Bought OTM puts on IWM early today to add to the pile of SPY puts we own.  Nice pop with the IWM puts up about 65% at the close.  Have been rolling some of the ITM SPY puts into longer duration OTM puts.

It's definitely nice to have an increasing store of potential dry powder in this decline.  It remains to be seen if, in the immortal words of George W. Bush, "This sucker's going down." :)

Bought OTM puts on IWM early today to add to the pile of SPY puts we own.  Nice pop with the IWM puts up about 65% at the close.  Have been rolling some of the ITM SPY puts into longer duration OTM puts.

It's definitely nice to have an increasing store of potential dry powder in this decline.  It remains to be seen if, in the immortal words of George W. Bush, "This sucker's going down." :)

+1. Let the discussion continue on whether it makes sense to hedge or not but it sure feels nice to have no impact on your portfolio when the markets go down 2%+, especially when you are at that time trekking in northern thailand's jungle! :d

+1. Let the discussion continue on whether it makes sense to hedge or not but it sure feels nice to have no impact on your portfolio when the markets go down 2%+, especially when you are at that time trekking in northern thailand's jungle! :d

It sure feels good when you timed it right... the thing is how often you timed it right. If one has the ability on timing (some do), there is much better way to make money than doing "hedges"

Smart employee benefits (seb.v), Biosyent (Rx.v) & XPEL (dap-u)

Great microcap

What are your views on Biosyent - specifically their product portfolio? Good growth as a mini-Paladin Labs.

Strong growth/margins, low capex, etc. I'd like to hear your views.

It sure feels good when you timed it right... the thing is how often you timed it right. If one has the ability on timing (some do), there is much better way to make money than doing "hedges"

The problem is being right twice. The next bounce up can easily kill the profits and because of the late buys the chance is good that the hedge result is a loss. I can`t foresee the future but the VIX has spiked to a 1 year high yesterday.

Guest wellmont

Ive been in YPF for a year, its been a wild ride, but it's dirt cheap on a NAV basis.

LL

Scared me, I thought you were buying Lumber Liquidators.

I would be scared to be short. one of the smartest stock pickers in the world just bought a big position.

Ive been in YPF for a year, its been a wild ride, but it's dirt cheap on a NAV basis.

LL

I would be scared to be short. one of the smartest stock pickers in the world just bought a big position.

I saw that, and everyone's favorite whipping boy Tilson has made a very loud short case. I don't have a position, but if I had to initiate one here it'd be short. Gross margins at all time highs, bulk of the remodeling done by the Blackstone's of the world to build the world's largest rental pool, and the business still only generates $40 MM in FCF (less than 2% FCF yield). I just don't see how you get significantly much more upside in the stock.

Guest valueInv

LL

I saw that, and everyone's favorite whipping boy Tilson has made a very loud short case. I don't have a position, but if I had to initiate one here it'd be short. Gross margins at all time highs, bulk of the remodeling done by the Blackstone's of the world to build the world's largest rental pool, and the business still only generates $40 MM in FCF (less than 2% FCF yield). I just don't see how you get significantly much more upside in the stock.

Who bought YPF?

prevalou,

Thanks for the feedback!  I knew ADT was a comp but I don't follow them, my bad I guess.  You are right on the FCF as well, found it in the citigroup conference presentation.  It still seems fairly cheap though given their historical growth.  I know it is with acquisitions but historically the acquisitions have translated well on a FCF / share metric.  The biggest issue I see is a fairly shallow moat and Malone selling a big chunk of shares.  I will probably watch them for awhile longer.

I give him credit.  He timed it perfectly and he had a reason...WSBASE...he called it on the way up too.