What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

Hedging. After all, there’s dumb fuck Canadians banning French fries with gravy because if you pronounce poutine wrong it sounds like Putin. And some US govs ordering vodka to be thrown out. The woke stupidity knows no bounds.

C2E040EE-3C1E-4327-9188-45662911E76E.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

After all, there’s dumb fuck Canadians banning French fries with gravy because if you pronounce poutine wrong it sounds like Putin.

Those "dumb fuck" Canadians are French Canadians.  And, in French, the correct pronunciation of the food "poutine" and the person "Putin" are identical.  The dish is not banned, but rather one restaurant in Drummondville has elected to change the name of the dish at least temporarily.  

SJ

They’re still making a stink about French fries…while in the US….

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zacharysmith/2022/03/01/10-states-have-banned-russian-vodka-a-symbolic-gesture-with-little-economic-punch/amp/

Fascism is indeed thriving. People have been getting fired for….being Russian. Private citizens are having their assets seized or frozen and it’s not as though they donated to some peacefully protesting truckers. Shit has gone absolutely off the rails lately. Everywhere.

3 hours ago, Gregmal said:

Hedging. After all, there’s dumb fuck Canadians banning French fries with gravy because if you pronounce poutine wrong it sounds like Putin. And some US govs ordering vodka to be thrown out. The woke stupidity knows no bounds.

C2E040EE-3C1E-4327-9188-45662911E76E.jpeg

@Gregmal hey, you might want to step back from the ledge… what is up with all the anger and hate? ‘Dumb fuck Canadians’? Seriously? You realize there are Canadians on this board. Whether you meant it or not you just insulted all of us. If you have an issue with what a restaurant owner does, i can understand that. But to extrapolate that to ‘Dumb fuck Canadians’ is crossing the line. At least from my perspective. i hope we can all show some restraint and show some respect for other board members, regardless if we agree with their views.

—————

Now you realize it was one restaurant in Quebec. For the simple reason Stubble suggest. And was a symbolic gesture. It was done because the restaurant owner wanted to support Ukraine and denounce Putin. 
https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-diner-drops-poutine-from-the-menu-the-word-not-the-dish-to-denounce-putin-1.5800157

After Russia, Canada has the largest population of Ukrainians in the world living outside of Ukraine. So yes, LOTS of people in this country are wanting to do whatever they can to show support. Personally I applaud what they are trying to do. But hey, each unto their own… 

1 hour ago, Gregmal said:

They’re still making a stink about French fries…while in the US….

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zacharysmith/2022/03/01/10-states-have-banned-russian-vodka-a-symbolic-gesture-with-little-economic-punch/amp/

Fascism is indeed thriving. People have been getting fired for….being Russian. Private citizens are having their assets seized or frozen and it’s not as though they donated to some peacefully protesting truckers. Shit has gone absolutely off the rails lately. Everywhere.

Did you know that those funds and the bitcoin wallets are still frozen?  Yep, and it's not the executive branch of government this time, it's the courts.  The funds and crypto are frozen pending the outcome of a class action lawsuit on behalf of the citizens of Ottawa against the participants of the three week occupation of Ottawa and the donors who funded it. 

Last time I read, the lawsuit was for CAD$300m+.  I doubt they'll get a judgement of that magnitude, but certainly double-digits wouldn't surprise me.  Those donated funds will likely be tied up for years before they are either released following an unsuccessful lawsuit, or used to satisfy part of the ultimate award.

I would not want to be one of the John Doe's named on that lawsuit because the Province of Ontario employs the legal doctrine of joint and several responsibility.  Somebody who is found to be 0.1% responsible for the damages to the citizens of Ottawa would be on the hook for any shortfall if the other parties are unable to pay their share of the ultimate award.  Most of the John Doe's won't have a pot to piss in, so it could be bad news for the few who have meaningful assets.

SJ

30 minutes ago, Viking said:

@Gregmal hey, you might want to step back from the ledge… what is up with all the anger and hate? ‘Dumb fuck Canadians’? Seriously? You realize there are Canadians on this board. Whether you meant it or not you just insulted all of us. If you have an issue with what a restaurant owner does, i can understand that. But to extrapolate that to ‘Dumb fuck Canadians’ is crossing the line. At least from my perspective. i hope we can all show some restraint and show some respect for other board members, regardless if we agree with their views.

—————

Now you realize it was one restaurant in Quebec. For the simple reason Stubble suggest. And was a symbolic gesture. It was done because the restaurant owner wanted to support Ukraine and denounce Putin. 
https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-diner-drops-poutine-from-the-menu-the-word-not-the-dish-to-denounce-putin-1.5800157

After Russia, Canada has the largest population of Ukrainians in the world living outside of Ukraine. So yes, LOTS of people in this country are wanting to do whatever they can to show support. Personally I applaud what they are trying to do. But hey, each unto their own… 

Unless you’re one of the French fry with gravy name changing virtue signaling advocates I am not sure why you’d take offense to anything I said…..the criticism is equally spread, including amongst a very large faction of red states here in the US(which are the ones leading the charge with the ban anything Russia rhetoric) The degree to which the world is going off the rails is pretty remarkable. Whether it’s outright war, or just horrendously misplaced priorities….like gee let’s bait a foreign country with democracy, then abandon them, and then cut off resources so our citizens see 30% price increases at the pump inside of a whole week….my gosh. 

Geez, some people just love having reasons to be offended. You can literally call me any name of your choice; I would fully allow you to think of the worst, most offensive names….it doesn’t bother me, at all. Grow some skin. I know many of the folks on these boards outside of these boards. We re good. No one forced anyone to do anything or like/dislike anyone.

Edited by Gregmal

Everyone talks about the repeats of things from ww2 and all that. Hitler and nazis and then communism. You know what no one talks about? How horrifically Asians in America were treated during that timeframe. History of course is written by the winners.

And as they say, if you don’t learn from the past….most don’t even know about it! Yet here we go again from our ivory towers and gated communities. 

53 minutes ago, Viking said:

—————

Viking, I'm not particularly offended.  It seems to me that Greg is suffering from the Fox News effect, where relatively minor things are exaggerated and blown out of proportion.  The asset freezing scandal is a prime example.  Last month, assets for a grand total of four people were frozen in a country of 38 million.  And, as it happens, three out of four of those people are currently in prison pending trial on criminal charges related to the freezing of their assets, while the fourth person is out on bail while he awaits his court date. 

Christ, since September 2001 at the request of the United States, we've been routinely freezing assets of people suspected of being engaged in terrorist groups.  Investigations are conducted and either the assets are released or the guy faces criminal charges for terrorism.  And we also do it with organized crime when criminal charges are pending.  It's pretty routine stuff.  But, the Fox News version is that we are a totalitarian state.  Whatever.

And the news that a single restaurant has nixed the word "poutine" in a country of 38 million?  It's not fake news, but it sure is focusing on the obscure.

SJ

9 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

Unless you’re one of the French fry with gravy name changing virtue signaling advocates I am not sure why you’d take offense to anything I said…..the criticism is equally spread, including amongst a very large faction of red states here in the US(which are the ones leading the charge with the ban anything Russia rhetoric) The degree to which the world is going off the rails is pretty remarkable. Whether it’s outright war, or just horrendously misplaced priorities….like gee let’s bait a foreign country with democracy, then abandon them, and then cut off resources so our citizens see 30% price increases at the pump inside of a whole week….my gosh. 

Geez, some people just love having reasons to be offended. You can literally call me any name of your choice; I would fully allow you to think of the worst, most offensive names….it doesn’t bother me, at all. Grow some skin. I know many of the folks on these boards outside of these boards. We re good. No one forced anyone to do anything or like/dislike anyone.

@Gregmal i understand that you do not have a problem with your post. I was trying to communicate to you that i have a problem with your post. I was trying to provide you with some feedback. Most people wouldn’t bother. And what was your response? Not ‘i hear you’. Rather it was to double down and insult me. And to give me the green light to insult you right back. Because you have ‘thick skin’? Seriously? Are we back in high school?

What makes this board work is respect for other board members. The last thing we all want is for the quality of discourse on this board to go into the sewer. That is a slippery slope to hell for any message board. ‘Dumb fuck Canadians’ crosses the line for me into the sewer. This has nothing to do with ‘thick skin’ - it is about how we communicate and how we chose treat each other.

That’s the thing. It wasn’t directed at you and I am unsure why you decided it was. It was largely in jest referring to folks in Canada making a stink about French fry names and in general, the larger issue, widespread, fully embraced xenophobia. But anyway, move on. Thread is what are you buying today and I bought some Russian vodka to hedge the possibility that the US bans vodka that happens to be from Russia. Good lord.

6 minutes ago, StubbleJumper said:

Viking, I'm not particularly offended.  It seems to me that Greg is suffering from the Fox News effect, where relatively minor things are exaggerated and blown out of proportion.  The asset freezing scandal is a prime example.  Last month, assets for a grand total of four people were frozen in a country of 38 million.  And, as it happens, three out of four of those people are currently in prison pending trial on criminal charges related to the freezing of their assets, while the fourth person is out on bail while he awaits his court date. 

Christ, since September 2001 at the request of the United States, we've been routinely freezing assets of people suspected of being engaged in terrorist groups.  Investigations are conducted and either the assets are released or the guy faces criminal charges for terrorism.  And we also do it with organized crime when criminal charges are pending.  It's pretty routine stuff.  But, the Fox News version is that we are a totalitarian state.  Whatever.

And the news that a single restaurant has nixed the word "poutine" in a country of 38 million?  It's not fake news, but it sure is focusing on the obscure.

SJ

Normally i am pretty good with this stuff.  But every once in a while i just can’t help myself… i have said my piece and time to move on. So i am done commenting on this topic 🙂 

^ ^ If you are going to partake in discussions around here - it is an excellent idea to develop a thick skin

and, more importantly, a sense of humor. Pretty easy to see Greg was being his sarcastic old self.

...Take it from someone that's been called every name in the book on this board.

Where's LC when you need him?!

Sorry, have been a bit busy eating freedom fries covered with melanin-rich sauce and vegan Kurds. 

In all seriousness, some people do seem to go out of their way to feel offended…and anyone changing the name of a delicious food (which was at one point the base of my hungover food pyramid, along with Schwartz’s) because of a dictator is a dumbass. 

On 3/4/2022 at 11:42 AM, TwoCitiesCapital said:

Probably the first time in my life that a major options position has worked out for me 😂

TLT call spreads and APPL put spreads might get there too. We'll see over the next 6 weeks or so. 

Moving on from being offensive to being on the offensive….gold gonna blast through $2000 this week. 10x leverage is fun. 

Had the wife make some Poutine tonight, will chase it with some Beluga. Long love French fries and vodka.

is there a scenario where gold does poorly? Not in my magic magic 8 ball. 

4 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

Moving on from being offensive to being on the offensive….gold gonna blast through $2000 this week. 10x leverage is fun. 

Had the wife make some Poutine tonight, will chase it with some Beluga. Long love French fries and vodka.

is there a scenario where gold does poorly? Not in my magic magic 8 ball. 

+1

Anyone seeing massive tails for gold? Ww3? Nuke fears. Living in bunkers. Fed with no choice but to keep printing? Destruction of all currencies or a major financial market disruption? How high can this go after being neglected for so long? $5000?

28 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

Anyone seeing massive tails for gold? Ww3? Nuke fears. Living in bunkers. Fed with no choice but to keep printing? Destruction of all currencies or a major financial market disruption? How high can this go after being neglected for so long? $5000?

Now do silver.  Half of silver demand is for industrial purposes.  Should go ballistic.

25 minutes ago, james22 said:

Gold has competition for the first time (Crypto).

That makes me much less certain than I otherwise would be.

Won’t matter with all the money that will be running for cover from the glam stocks of last decade