What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

If you look around there is a lot of smart money sitting on it....Berkshire sitting on $58B.

Berkshire doesn't sit on money as a market timing tool. They always have tons of cash looking to deploy. Also they are going to use $20B+ for the precision castparts merger....

KCLI

Me too - $38 is roughly 55% of book value, seems like it is over sold after maybe some did not get cashed out at $52.50. Not super cheap on earnings basis, but I think it is a safe, stable investment as company has been around over 100 years, insiders own almost 70%. I suspect insiders know they could sell whole company for close to book value if they wanted too. Company itself was buying stock back around $45 level in past couple of years before going private at $52.50. I like it for a couple month trade until I hope it returns to mid 40s.

If you look around there is a lot of smart money sitting on it....Berkshire sitting on $58B.

Berkshire doesn't sit on money as a market timing tool. They always have tons of cash looking to deploy. Also they are going to use $20B+ for the precision castparts merger....

In my opinion Berkshire does use cash as a market timing tool.  Sure they might not take a top down macro approach, but they are constantly looking to do deals.  If they can't find enough attractive deals to put the cash to work, it builds up on the balance sheet.  Same net result.  If the market dropped 50% tomorrow you would expect Buffett to put most of the cash into the market. Likewise, if the general market doubled tomorrow he might sell some stock positions and would be unlikely to find many deals so cash would increase. To me, that is market timing.

In my opinion Berkshire does use cash as a market timing tool.  Sure they might not take a top down macro approach, but they are constantly looking to do deals.  If they can't find enough attractive deals to put the cash to work, it builds up on the balance sheet.  Same net result.  If the market dropped 50% tomorrow you would expect Buffett to put most of the cash into the market. Likewise, if the general market doubled tomorrow he might sell some stock positions and would be unlikely to find many deals so cash would increase. To me, that is market timing.

That's not market timing. That's waiting to find the right pitch. Nobody is suggesting that one should stay fully invested at all times. If you can't find anything to buy then you should be in cash.

For a company the size of Berkshire, they are very limited in the number of stocks or businesses they can buy, hence they have a lot of cash waiting for the right deal the come along.

None of this has to do with timing the market.

Guest Grey512

Bought some Under Armor yesterday on the selloff at $70.00

Will be held briefly for the slight rebound and will continue to hold cash on the sidelines while I occasionally pickup more shares of BAC and CMG.

Funny; I actually put on shorts on UA and CMG recently.

Bought some Under Armor yesterday on the selloff at $70.00

Will be held briefly for the slight rebound and will continue to hold cash on the sidelines while I occasionally pickup more shares of BAC and CMG.

Funny; I actually put on shorts on UA and CMG recently.

Just bought some shoes and clothes from UA.  Also planning to head to CMG for lunch today since the line is really short nowadays.

no clue about the stocks!