Argentina

PlanMaestro

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Spekulatius said:

Adopting the USD instead of the Peso imo is already a very bad idea, imo.

I think they need to have some sort of stable currency for the economy to function, and the peso has lost any semblance of trust. It's better for a country to have it's own currency (since it can control its own monetary policy according to domestic conditions) but I think they're past that. 

1 minute ago, bizaro86 said:

I think they need to have some sort of stable currency for the economy to function, and the peso has lost any semblance of trust. It's better for a country to have it's own currency (since it can control its own monetary policy according to domestic conditions) but I think they're past that. 

It is not better that a country has the ability to control its money. That's the problem with fiat and why their money isn't worth anything to begin with.   The USD is better than the peso, because it's the world's reserve currency currently which let's the FED get away with a lot and the demand remains. But hopefully people there move to BTC over time because the USD isn't great either and if it loses reserve status (a certainty long term) they will be right back to where they started.  Using a worthless currency.  

44 minutes ago, bizaro86 said:

The USD is not a solution for them. For once it will create a scarcity of cash and pot. blow up their banking system (or what remained of it). 

Milei needs to put a central bank leader in place who has some credibility and pull a Hjalmar Schacht like miracle. Inflation is always a political problem and with new leadership it's his job to address this.

Happy to be wrong here. In any case, this will be interesting.

Edited by Spekulatius

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, rkbabang said:

A good article on Milei, what he’s up against and can likely accomplish. Written by Bryan Caplan a libertarian-leaning economics professor at George Mason University.

https://betonit.substack.com/p/will-milei-make-argentina-great-again

A sobering look at just how long real policy change can take.

Optimistically, Milei could close a quarter of the economic policy gap between Argentina and Chile after two four-year terms.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2024 at 10:34 AM, Pelagic said:

A sobering look at just how long real policy change can take.

The important thing is to start going in the right direction far enough that the average person see some tangible progress.  That makes it likely that whoever is going to be elected next keeps doing the same thing.