Share your Portfolio 2024

Inspired by Luca's post from last year: 

Hopefully no one takes offense to the continuation of this topic - I for one find it a fun exercise and informative enough to justify another thread.

I'll start:

25.23% - Fairfax

24.56% - JOE

8.56% - FRPH

8.16% - $$$ (I should have a lot more cash to invest within the next few months 🙂)

7.07% - Nintendo

4.95% - MSGS

4.61% - AMR

4.33% - MSGE

2.2% - Coupang

2.08% - PBR.A

1.76% - Unit Corp

1.54% - Tencent

remainder - small trackers

Goal for 2024: Get rid of the smaller positions, trade less and do nothing more, trust my gut, learn lots, find stuff to deploy cash into.

Edited by Malmqky

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another day, another dollar! 

By Size: 

FAIRFAX

PROSUS

AMR

NINTENDO

ALIBABA

EVO AB

OXY

TENCENT

VALARIS

EXOR

PDD

LUFAX

CONSOL

BERKSHIRE

I have tried a lot of things and compared to last year a lot of stuff went out and a lot of stuff went in 🙂 

Edited by Luca

Here is mine. I barely change much year over year. I don’t use any ETF or funds. Just direct equities. And don’t do trims and shavings.  

The first four cover 45% of the portfolio

Asset managers:

FFH/FIH                       17%

Berkshire                     12%

BN/BAM and subs.     8%
Onex                            7%

Resources:

Exxon.             6%
Barrick.           3%
Stelco.            2%
Oxy.                1%

Technology:

Amazon.             8%
Alphabet.            7%
Mercadolibre.     4%
IAC et al.             2.5%

Operating businesses:

Couche Tard.     5%
RTX.                    5%
Walt Disney.       3.5%
GM.                     2.5%

Bombardier.       2.5%

Starbucks.          1%

26% FFH

9% BRK.B

9% $

6% USB

5% LUV

5% NTDOY

5% HQI

4% ADSK

4% GOOGL

4% DFIN

4% MSGE ($30 CCs on full position)

4% CASH ($50 CCs on full position)

3% HUM

3% NNI

2% TOITF

2% CHDN

2% HSY

2% JCI

1-2% in tracking positions - BAC, ASHTY, LHX, META, CPNG calls, BABA, BABA calls 

16% - US community bank basket

13% - Fairfax

13% - Cash [from recent sales and special dividends]

10% - IAC Corp.

10% - FRP Holdings

7% - IDT Corp.

6% - Unit Corp.

5% - Solitron Devices

5% - Black Stone Minerals

3% - Leatt Corp.

3% - Turning Point Brands

3% - Macfarlane Group plc

3% - Nickel 28 Capital Corp.

2% - Enterprise Products Partners

2% - Clipper Realty

Currently:

75%……..Simpson SSD

15%………Autodesk LEAPs

10%………Cash, Tyler TYL, BYDDF, Pinduoduo LEAPs (last couple weeks have been using PDD gains to buy ADSK), and also a few surviving Alibaba LEAPS:) 

I imagine in 2025 this will be about the same. Thinking of using the remaining PDD gains to get a decent Alibaba position?? Not sure yet

27 minutes ago, dpetrescu said:

Currently:

75%……..Simpson SSD

15%………Autodesk LEAPs

10%………Cash, Tyler TYL, BYDDF, Pinduoduo LEAPs (last couple weeks have been using PDD gains to buy ADSK), and also a few surviving Alibaba LEAPS:) 

I imagine in 2025 this will be about the same. Thinking of using the remaining PDD gains to get a decent Alibaba position?? Not sure yet

Bet I can guess what you do for a living!

Most of my net worth is in a closely held corporation and real estate. But here’s my main taxable stock portfolio. This has been a water the flowers and pull the weeds type portfolio after selling the under performers to invest in real estate. 

APO - 23%
JOE - 15% 

FFH - 14%
BX - 10% 

FG - 9% 

GOOGL - 8% 

Dec 25 $75 GOOGL calls - 7.5% 

AMP - 6.5% 

Aug 24 $50 JOE calls - 3% 

A few small positions accounting for not much. 

My 401k is less significant and I hold more dividend paying and short term positions here. I also have massively underperformed my taxable investments, probably trying to be too clever and trading value traps more than I should. This isn’t fully representative since I’ve trimmed losses and reallocated money here into better positions.  Hoping to hold steady with these, and think they should do well.  

Nintendo - 28%
Apollo - 25%
PM - 23% 

CPT - 8%

CLPR - 7% 

BTI - 5% 

Basket of speculative stocks where I got soaked, but hold on because I can’t use tax losses in my 401k - 5%

15 hours ago, RedLion said:

Most of my net worth is in a closely held corporation and real estate. But here’s my main taxable stock portfolio. This has been a water the flowers and pull the weeds type portfolio after selling the under performers to invest in real estate. 

APO - 23%
JOE - 15% 

FFH - 14%
BX - 10% 

FG - 9% 

GOOGL - 8% 

Dec 25 $75 GOOGL calls - 7.5% 

AMP - 6.5% 

Aug 24 $50 JOE calls - 3% 

A few small positions accounting for not much. 

Nice portfolio! How do you view the opportunity set / valuation in APO vs. KKR? I recently started a position in KKR given momentum around the completed acquisition of Global Atlantic, likely inclusion in the S&P 500, etc.

1 minute ago, valueventures said:

Nice portfolio! How do you view the opportunity set / valuation in APO vs. KKR? I recently started a position in KKR given momentum around the completed acquisition of Global Atlantic, likely inclusion in the S&P 500, etc.

I think you should own both. And I should too. I sold KKR to raise capital for a series of 4 real estate deals I closed on since late July. All of these sales were in taxable accounts and it made more sense for me to sell KKR than APO given tax considerations. 

I think they’re the perfect compliment, they’re two sides of the same coin but APO will outperform with higher rates and KKR with lower. They both are great alt asset managers at a (more than) fair price. So now might very well be a great time to load up. 

I would buy KKR on margin, but I’ve been regularly dipping into margin to fund some do the real estate renovations since it’s lower cost capital and more tax favorable to me. 

I expect to be reinstating my KKR position hopefully on par with APO once I start pulling cash out of these real estate investments. 

1 minute ago, RedLion said:

I think you should own both. And I should too. I sold KKR to raise capital for a series of 4 real estate deals I closed on since late July. All of these sales were in taxable accounts and it made more sense for me to sell KKR than APO given tax considerations. 

I think they’re the perfect compliment, they’re two sides of the same coin but APO will outperform with higher rates and KKR with lower. They both are great alt asset managers at a (more than) fair price. So now might very well be a great time to load up. 

I would buy KKR on margin, but I’ve been regularly dipping into margin to fund some do the real estate renovations since it’s lower cost capital and more tax favorable to me. 

I expect to be reinstating my KKR position hopefully on par with APO once I start pulling cash out of these real estate investments. 

Thanks! And just one more question - how do you think about APO/KKR vs. BN/BAM broadly? Given your 23% exposure to APO, I assume you've done some work around understanding the US vs. Canadian opportunity set.

Personal portfolio (actively managed):

FFH 15%

JOE 15%

Nintendo 15%

OXY 10%

Bitcoin 10%

GXE 5%

HTL 5%

U.UN 5%

PTSB 3%

CKX 3%

Fuji corp 3%

And roughly 25% spread over various call options (BYON, SAVE, PRX, CPNG, UMI, ILMN, PACB).

Should total to +/- 115% as I currently have 15% margin.

Family portfolio (only make changes here once per year):

25% BRK

25% FFH

25% APO

25% KKR

Edited by Paarslaars

17 hours ago, valueventures said:

Thanks! And just one more question - how do you think about APO/KKR vs. BN/BAM broadly? Given your 23% exposure to APO, I assume you've done some work around understanding the US vs. Canadian opportunity set.

I have put my thoughts here on the BN and the APO and BX threads I think. I’m not against BN or BAM, but in my opinion APO/KKR are better then BN and if you want an asset lite alternative then I think owl/ares/bx are better than bam. 

While bam has a great energy transition / green energy business that I think is best in class, the competitors are getting up to speed in this regard. BN is anchored down by some lousy real estate positions while the sotp is help up with high valuations on the subsidiaries. 

Anyway I think BN is one of the lowest quality alt investments along with CG. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t own it, obviously it’s done well over the long term and can work through its real estate hangover to do well going forward, but I think APO/KKR are going to outperform.