Share your Portfolio 2024

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, CGJB said:

Mind sharing what your average cost is?

$606

From $480 when swooned after the ETF launch to just recently at $700.

Took me some time to get comfortable with the position sizing (I'd been uninterested in BTC before the ETF approval, and I'm somewhat risk-averse since retired). Just seems a pretty unique opportunity - not often a new asset class comes around.

Still seems early enough to get in (before BTC hits its ATH). 

And it's unlikely the entry point will matter much in the long run anyway. BTC will most likely do either really, really well or really, really poorly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2024 at 10:19 AM, Spekulatius said:

Should have monetized my “unique insight” better. Thought  about buying some short dated puts but those things work maybe 1/3 or 1/4 times for me, so left it alone.

I  very much like the industrial gas business. It’s like having a small royalty on industrial growth  Each semiconductor fab build in the US will consume technical gases as long as they operate. This is a structurally advantaged business because once a supply is locked in, the customers rarely switch and the suppliers are highly concentrated. (Air Liquide, Lind, APD, Nippon Sanso (Matheson in the US) ). Those business will grow for decades and likely more than the GDP.

Do you have links/insight into what kind of process and gases are used in the semi manufacturing?  It may be something I will need to ramp up on.  TIA

11 hours ago, nsx5200 said:

Do you have links/insight into what kind of process and gases are used in the semi manufacturing?  It may be something I will need to ramp up on.  TIA

Mostly noble gases like Argon, Helium etc, then likely Nitrogen, some Hydrogen and gases used for reactive processes and doping (fluorides, boron and phosphor chemicals etc). I suppose.

Every vacuum deposition and etch process needs technical gases.

Edited by Spekulatius

On 1/2/2024 at 9:12 AM, Ross812 said:

26% FFH

9% BRK.B

9% $

6% USB

5% LUV

5% NTDOY

5% HQI

4% ADSK

4% GOOGL

4% DFIN

4% MSGE ($30 CCs on full position)

4% CASH ($50 CCs on full position)

3% HUM

3% NNI

2% TOITF

2% CHDN

2% HSY

2% JCI

1-2% in tracking positions - BAC, ASHTY, LHX, META, CPNG calls, BABA, BABA calls 

Thought I'd check in on this:

26%  29% FFH

9% BRK.B

10% $

6% USB ($44 to$50 calls on full position)

5%  6% LUV ($35 to$40 calls on full position)

3% 6% NNI (Adding)

5% NTDOY

5% HQI (Adding)

2% 4% HSY (Adding)

2% 4%TOITF

4% ADSK

4% GOOGL

4% DFIN

4% MSGE ($30 CCs on full position)

3% CASH ($50 CCs on full position)

3% HUM

2% CHDN

2% JCI

1-2% in tracking positions - BAC, ASHTY, LHX, META, CPNG calls, BABA, BABA calls 

41% JOE

38% BUR

21% FC

Recently out of SWBI given its run over the run over the past 6 months and relative valuation...would renter in low teens. FRFHF, TRC & NC are on deck for me if 1 of my current holdings' stock price outpaced its fundamentals.

2 hours ago, Kazid said:

41% JOE

38% BUR

21% FC

Recently out of SWBI given its run over the run over the past 6 months and relative valuation...would renter in low teens. FRFHF, TRC & NC are on deck for me if 1 of my current holdings' stock price outpaced its fundamentals.

38% to BUR is impressive. I have a small position. Are you hoping for a quick flip from the YPF judgment or is this a longer-term holding for you?

I've been in BUR since late 2021, but built my position substantially as it later traded in the single digit range, especially last March. BUR has a pretty wide range of value based on a number of factors (YPF outcome, meat company price fixing outcomes, and sustainability of economic profits), and I've adjusted that value as time has gone on, mostly upward as the YPF situation has skewed higher. 

Nah, I'm not trying to flip BUR related to the YPF judgement. So many things could happen here, but I'm not convinced we'll see anything definitive within a year or even two with YPF. With that said, if a favorable settlement was announced tomorrow and the stock went to $30 I'd likely trim...but I don't see that as very likely.

It's a long-term holding to the extent it stays undervalued, but at present I consider it extremely cheap and trading close to or under liquidation value. If various factors play out favorably, it has the potential to generate very substantial returns from here, but it's hard to say given how many factors are involved. Along the way, it's very volatile and presents opportunities to trade around a bit, which has helped too.

Long-winded way of saying probably long-term with some adds and trims along the way, unless the share price rockets.

On 1/1/2024 at 8:20 PM, Xerxes said:

Here is mine. I barely change much year over year. I don’t use any ETF or funds. Just direct equities. And don’t do trims and shavings.  

The first four cover 45% of the portfolio

Asset managers:

FFH/FIH                       17%

Berkshire                     12%

BN/BAM and subs.     8%
Onex                            7%

Resources:

Exxon.             6%
Barrick.           3%
Stelco.            2%
Oxy.                1%

Technology:

Amazon.             8%
Alphabet.            7%
Mercadolibre.     4%
IAC et al.             2.5%

Operating businesses:

Couche Tard.     5%
RTX.                    5%
Walt Disney.       3.5%
GM.                     2.5%

Bombardier.       2.5%

Starbucks.          1%

Curious what your thesis is on MELI and why it's in your tech exposure. Thanks!

23 hours ago, valueventures said:

Curious what your thesis is on MELI and why it's in your tech exposure. Thanks!

Hi Valueventures,

To be perfectly frank, i don't follow Mercadolibre that closely.

I figured that a management team that build up this juggernaut over 20 years spanning a dozen countries with different jurisdiction, inflation, and other country-specific challenges (a moat one might say) is far better equipped to re-invest that next $1 incremental of value than me going over their 10-K and pretending i understand.

So it is on auto-pilot for me,

I just lumped inside a technology bucket, but perhaps should be under "operating businesses". I agree that it is more than technology firm as it owns logistics, payment solutions etc.

Walt Disney and RTX that I own are also technology companies with a focus in media and A&D. But I put them on operating businesses and not technology. For clarity, i don't target any specific % allocation to any bucket. It is all random.