OceanGate, Submarine goes missing.

Luca

15 minutes ago, rkbabang said:

He also mentions how they use a game controller so "anyone can drive" it.

I know the US Air Force has used Xbox controllers as inspiration for familiarity reasons.

This however…idk man. Seems like this whole operation was stupid to begin with.

6 minutes ago, Pelagic said:

Good read on some of the issues with the materials involved in its construction. Even if the controller failed, it seems the sub is slightly positively buoyant so in such a scenario it should be floating somewhere on the surface by now. 

https://newrepublic.com/post/173802/missing-titanic-sub-faced-lawsuit-depths-safely-travel-oceangate

I read they have enough air for 96 hours. *If* they’re on the surface it should be easy to locate..right?

Hope these folks make it. 

What a story, have been consuming quite some content about this the last hours. That lawsuit tells miles...

We will know by tomorrow midday if they found them or not...

Just a few weeks ago i have been reading about Titanic again and stumbled on their website, was pretty surprised one is able to go there but didnt think more of it. Then this today...!

58 minutes ago, Malmqky said:

I read they have enough air for 96 hours. *If* they’re on the surface it should be easy to locate..right?

Hope these folks make it. 

Apparently on a previous trip last year the sub was "lost" on the surface for 5 hours while the mothership searched for it. One would hope they learned from that experience last year to have a better way of locating it on the surface.

This reminds me of the optionality that Taleb always talks about.  If you buy a lottery ticket (or go to a party where you don't know anyone), the downside is small and certain but the upside is huge and unlikely.  If you skydive (or go in one of these), the upside is that you finish the day and you're still alive and not paralyzed, and your out a lot of money.  The downside is small, but why put yourself in that position other than for bragging rights? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saluki said:

This reminds me of the optionality that Taleb always talks about.  If you buy a lottery ticket (or go to a party where you don't know anyone), the downside is small and certain but the upside is huge and unlikely.  If you skydive (or go in one of these), the upside is that you finish the day and you're still alive and not paralyzed, and your out a lot of money.  The downside is small, but why put yourself in that position other than for bragging rights? 

It's just a different personality type.  Sort of like the difference between the longs and the shorts.

One thing thing I don't quite understand is why they are searching thousands and thousands of square miles. Intuitively, I'd assume the mother-ship was parked directly above the Titantic ship wreck and the sub would essentially descend vertically on the shortest possible path which would provide a relatively defined area to search. Maybe there are strong ocean currents in that area or something but the sense I get is they have no clue where the submersible is. 

9 minutes ago, Saluki said:

Sky diving is pretty safe. Have done it twice without any issues. Just don't go with someone who doesn't have a advanced military background (Jump Master)and you'll be good. Tbh it's not all it's cracked up to be (especially if cloudy). 

22 minutes ago, Saluki said:

I'm gonna guess you haven't been sky diving, eh? 

It's a thrill! 

You could literally make this argument about anything though. Planes? At one time we're pretty dangerous. Upside was getting somewhere faster. Downside was death. Why ever travel by plane?!?!

Interstate highways? Upside is getting somewhere faster. Downside is likelihood of a high speed accident increases significantly. Why risk death/dismemberment/paralyzation when you could just get there slower? 

I tend to think this argument is better applied to fat tails and generalized to populations than any one instance/person. I.e. nuclear safety regulations need to consider the consequences of infrequent, but catastrophic, failures. Car makers? Not so much. 

Edited by TwoCitiesCapital

22 minutes ago, tede02 said:

One thing thing I don't quite understand is why they are searching thousands and thousands of square miles. Intuitively, I'd assume the mother-ship was parked directly above the Titantic ship wreck and the sub would essentially descend vertically on the shortest possible path which would provide a relatively defined area to search. Maybe there are strong ocean currents in that area or something but the sense I get is they have no clue where the submersible is. 

I watched multiple videos today, in one i think they said something like landing to close to the titanic is dangerous because of currents down there, at one mission they got stuck between the ship and luckily made it out. (different operator, was a science trip and not via OceanGate)

I gotta agree with @Saluki, of course with skydiving the downside is way lower but with this here... They paid 250k to go down with a "daredevil innovator".

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/worlds-first-deep-diving-submarine-plans-tourists-see-titanic-180972179/

For a handsome price, a daredevil inventor will bring you aboard his groundbreaking submarine to put eyes on most famous shipwreck of all

RIP to the guys on board.

Edited by Luca

6 minutes ago, tede02 said:

It's always fun dropping divers in the water and them popping up in unexpected places when they're done. On deep wrecks it can get interesting quick, you try to keep the boat over the wreck or ideally over their bubbles as best as possible but the current they're dealing with at depth can be counter to what you're experiencing on the surface. The variables are only magnified by a wreck in 12,000' vs. 120'. Thinking about it now, I'm actually curious how much goes into calculating the optimal position to launch the submersible "up-current" before it descends or if they simply let the sub's propulsion handle any current. 

It does seem though they should have had a good idea of where it was when it lost contact with them, they were likely tracking it on the ship's sonar. Apparently the mothership provides steering directions to the submersible and loss of contact between the two was fairly common. 

1 hour ago, rkbabang said:

Just goes to show that everyone deals with grief (and inheriting a boat load of money earlier than expected) differently.

I love Blink-182 though. Recommended it in the music thread. It's pretty uplifting which both the son and the dad need.

I frankly don't blame him. There is not much he can do. A public display of a sad face is not going to help anyone.

44 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

I love Blink-182 though. Recommended it in the music thread. It's pretty uplifting which both the son and the dad need.

I frankly don't blame him. There is not much he can do. A public display of a sad face is not going to help anyone.

LOL well I mean you could you know, console your Mom or be with family? Dude is likely using it as a way to quilt the band into inviting him backstage. 

edit: I guess the test will be.....what the step dad thinks if he makes it through lmao. Could be getting written out of the will if he does not take it in a positive manner. 

Edited by Castanza