Which activities in life brings you the most fun?

Charlie

^^ Hey Dealraker - like I said - there is no special ability I possess at 68 - and unlike Lazarus,

I can't and never could dunk a basketball.  And I do actually agree with Lazarus - that yoga,

stretching and pilates are terrific. Other than that - good sleep & not eating like a moron

will do the trick.

But @james22 pretty much nailed it with his clip. 

Drinking morning coffee while doing a crossword on the deck.  John Coltrane on the Sonos.  I could do that every day.  Wait, I do indeed do that everyday.  Except sometimes the weather doesn’t cooperate and I switch between jazz and blues sometimes.

and I don’t mind admitting that I sometimes search for answers on the internet when I get stuck.

One more thing about doing hard workouts.

Glycogen is the way your body stores glucose, an energy source. Glycogen is stored in your liver and muscles. Glycogen in your liver can be converted to glucose and released into your bloodstream for use anywhere in your body. Muscle glycogen must be used in that muscle. I imagine a sedentary person has glycogen that is years, maybe decades, old. I don’t know if it deteriorates but I would not be surprised that it does. So, it is good to exhaust your muscles to clean out the glycogen. Your muscles are then primed for up taking glucose from your blood at your next meal. This helps to ward off type 2 diabetes and type 3 diabetes, dementia.

30 minutes ago, tytthus said:

Drinking morning coffee while doing a crossword on the deck.  John Coltrane on the Sonos.  I could do that every day.  Wait, I do indeed do that everyday.  Except sometimes the weather doesn’t cooperate and I switch between jazz and blues sometimes.

and I don’t mind admitting that I sometimes search for answers on the internet when I get stuck.

I agree regarding morning coffee! In the evening a stout or porter, but I try now to do that just one day a week. 

Listening to classic rock—Neil Young, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Cream, etc.

Exercising, reading, developing videos for my Youtube channel, and teaching.

And of course writing puts on BRKB!

• 2 months later...

Wherever possible, just walk or bike everywhere, and eat better but less.

Physically move, experience the world around you, and think independently. Throw the skinny bike seat away and get a real one that doesn't break your ass. Go with the small quantity of chef prepared steak and a top-shelf wine, versus the buckets of 'line cook' fare.

Periodically do a bike trip in someplace new (ideally Europe). Taxi's move your shit from hotel to hotel; you just ride the bike between places, about 40-50 km/day, and take the whole day to do it. Experience the culture, stop whenever and wherever you feel like it. Share a bottle of 1st Cru every 2nd night with friends.

Tossing metal around is for machines!

SD

Swimming....swam 7000 meters for the local  NYE masterswim at 4am this past Saturday

Kettlebells ... Back in my ooold days use to be like you cubsfan; switched over to full range of motion under load with bells 15 years ago.

Biking ... Like SD, computrainer zwift etc.; but still like the skinny bike seat.

Wok... love to make quick healthy meals for myself and the wifey.

2 hours ago, cubsfan said:

Happy New Year gents!

Here is to making $$ and staying healthy!

Set some worthwhile goals that are hard - the harder, the better - even if you're an old man:

Good lord. I couldn’t do that if those things were plastic and said little tikes on em. 

Fun for me = Rock climbing (since 97'), dirt biking/enduro (since 2016, best old man sport), reading, I haven't cried a single tear since a 9 year relationship ended in 2018 until last night reading Ordinary men. Also reading The handbook of evolutionary psychology david buss edited now, will take awhile. If you like Kahneman, taleb, pinker, the confines of what it means to be human etc take a look. Playing around with diet, bulletproof as of now/ sometimes keto. 

2 Year old son is getting more and more fun, getting sick from him isn't. 

1 hour ago, SharperDingaan said:

Wherever possible, just walk or bike everywhere, and eat better but less.

Physically move, experience the world around you, and think independently. Throw the skinny bike seat away and get a real one that doesn't break your ass. Go with the small quantity of chef prepared steak and a top-shelf wine, versus the buckets of 'line cook' fare.

Periodically do a bike trip in someplace new (ideally Europe). Taxi's move your shit from hotel to hotel; you just ride the bike between places, about 40-50 km/day, and take the whole day to do it. Experience the culture, stop whenever and wherever you feel like it. Share a bottle of 1st Cru every 2nd night with friens.

Tossing metal around is for machines!

SD

Actually your advice on bike seat resonates with me quite well:). Especially it is a problem for few weeks after winter break:). In a summer I ride bycycle almost every day. Somtimes I go to a completly unknown places, without plan, as we say "where eye can lead". In winter...well maybe home bike trainer is also much more for machines, but still I like it:)

2 hours ago, LC said:

Damn cubs is that you? 4 plates woo. Get em.

Next time I ski I'll try and remember to bring the old go-pro camera and you can watch me fall down a hill. 

Happy New Year LC!

Yeah, that's my fat ass alright.

Now you owe me that Black Diamond run!

1 hour ago, Gregmal said:

Good lord. I couldn’t do that if those things were plastic and said little tikes on em. 

Oh, I KNOW you can Greg. Start with 65lbs - and go up 5lbs a workout (or a week)

Someone as disciplined as you is what it takes. You underestimate yourself....

2 hours ago, Ulti said:

Swimming....swam 7000 meters for the local  NYE masterswim at 4am this past Saturday

Kettlebells ... Back in my ooold days use to be like you cubsfan; switched over to full range of motion under load with bells 15 years ago.

Biking ... Like SD, computrainer zwift etc.; but still like the skinny bike seat.

Wok... love to make quick healthy meals for myself and the wifey.

It's all good brother...my swimming consists of the dog paddle. Kudos!

40 minutes ago, cubsfan said:

It's all good brother...my swimming consists of the dog paddle. Kudos!

Back at ya … I miss the days of wearing the leather belt… And I hope you enjoy Swanson this year … he was my favorite player from last year and is awesome to watch

5 hours ago, cubsfan said:

Happy New Year gents!

Here is to making $$ and staying healthy!

Set some worthwhile goals that are hard - the harder, the better - even if you're an old man:

1/2/3/4 plates by end of the year (at 180lbs, age 60).

I believe that strength work is essential especially as you get older.

However, I’ve been training with weights for 20 years, and to be quite honest, I would stay away from Starting Strength.

I think Mark Ripptoe’s squat form, in particular, is a recipe for tightness and ultimately injury.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, tede02 said:

I have a 60HP excavator. I absolutely love operating that machine. It weighs about 15,000 pounds. It can do some serious damage, LOL. The hours feel like minutes when I'm running that thing. 

Awesome.  We have a bunch of excavators in my family (not me personally) - the newest is a "midi" Takeuchi which is a really nice one.  The Takeuchi can dig 14 feet down!  Is your 60hp considered a "mini" or a "midi?"