Russia-Ukrainian War

5 hours ago, Dinar said:

https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/antisemitism/article-738940

Meanwhile, Ukrainians are busy glorifying Nazis.  Could not ask for a better gift to Putin, plays straight into his narrative for domestic consumption, and of course gives those who do not want to see their tax dollars/euros/pounds given to Ukraine plenty of ammunition.  

Pretty clear by now that Western governments are fine with arming extremist groups as long as they're fighting on our side.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cohen-ukraine-commentary-idUSKBN1GV2TY

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/ukraine-has-nazi-problem-vladimir-putin-s-denazification-claim-war-ncna1290946

https://forward.com/opinion/416751/why-does-no-one-care-that-neo-nazis-are-gaining-power-in-ukraine/

Btw, they canned this street rename for obvious reasons.

https://www.nysun.com/article/kyivs-mayor-quashes-citys-strange-attempt-to-rename-street-after-a-ukrainian-nazi-collaborator

4 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

There are probably less Neo Nazis in Ukraine as a percentage of population than in the US or Germany for that matter:

In the 2019 Ukrainian parliamentary election the coalition of Svoboda and the other extreme-right political parties in Ukraine―National Corps, the Governmental Initiative of Yarosh, and the Right Sector―won only 2.15% of the vote combined and failed to pass the 5% threshold.[5][6] No far-right parties gained seats in the Verkhovna Rada (Ukraine's parliament), as they all failed to win any single-mandate constituency seat.[6]

Spek, you miss my point, it is an own goal that Ukraine has just scored.  

As for voting or not, it is hard to compare far right parties across countries - for instance far right is a lot more popular in areas with large immigration.  Also, can you imagine Munich city council renaming Mozartstrasse into Ernst Rohmstrasse?

No surprise there.

Ukraine war: Leak shows Western special forces on the ground

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65245065.amp

Next time a reporter ask during a Pentagon press briefing, is NATO Article 5 is triggered because of some drone getting fuel dumped on it, or some missile accidentally hitting Poland, that reporter is going to get a slap by me.  

It is war. The charade of NATO Article 5 is convenient both for Washington and the Kremlin and both sides will uphold it. Beyond the charade, it is full scale war and anything goes. 

4 minutes ago, Xerxes said:

No surprise there.

Ukraine war: Leak shows Western special forces on the ground

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65245065.amp

Next time a reporter ask during a Pentagon press briefing, is NATO Article 5 is triggered because of some drone getting fuel dumped on it, or some missile accidentally hitting Poland, that reporter is going to get a slap by me.  

It is war. The charade of NATO Article 5 is convenient both for Washington and the Kremlin and both sides will uphold it. Beyond the charade, it is full scale war and anything goes. 

Isn't the likely explanation for this the various VIP visits where special forces are involved in planning and security for the visit? Seems a bit of a stretch to think the US or UK is sending special forces teams to fight Russian troops while at the same time refusing to provide Ukraine fighter planes or longer range munitions for fear of escalation. 

2 minutes ago, Pelagic said:

Isn't the likely explanation for this the various VIP visits where special forces are involved in planning and security for the visit? Seems a bit of a stretch to think the US or UK is sending special forces teams to fight Russian troops while at the same time refusing to provide Ukraine fighter planes or longer range munitions for fear of escalation. 

I don’t really have an answer.

But I have no doubt that US special forces were/are operating there since the early days of the war. And even before. That said I don’t think there are direct engagement to keep the plausible deniability. Same way Russian pilots flew Russian MIGs painted with Korean insignia in the Korean War. 

everybody knows the charade. But nonetheless, both sides agree to keep the charade, as long as it is covert. 

They are likely there to train troops. Unconventional warfare is what they do best and training up troops from unconventional backgrounds is their bread and butter. Ukrainian forces have been struggling with medical triage and communication. Both two things SOF excel at. US SOF has operated in that region for decades already so it’s not really surprising. Typical ODA is a 12 man team so it seems even more likely thats what it is with maybe two additional heads to report two. If they were there to kick down doors it likely wouldn’t be SOF units but more likely Spec Ops units like the SEALs. Seems like direct action would be a poor use of those multi million dollar troops though so I’d keep my guess with the training side. 

10 minutes ago, cubsfan said:

France cozying up to China not a great development for Taiwan. The US needs to count on Europe for a united defense against China. Biden fiddles in Ireland while Rome burns.

Haven't seen anyone mention Buffett dumping his TSM shares yet. Seems to be more open to the idea that conflict could arise. Maybe nothing more than just hedging his portfolio risk. 

^^^ I think it’s a continuation of the US being tested by friends and foe alike. They watch a humiliating withdrawal in Afghanistan, then send spy balloons with no reaction. They see the US tear up the nuclear ban in Iran. Hell, even the Saudis and Israel, our strong allies are breaking ranks.

China just take taking it all in…

Edited by cubsfan

6 hours ago, cubsfan said:

France cozying up to China not a great development for Taiwan. The US needs to count on Europe for a united defense against China. Biden fiddles in Ireland while Rome burns.

A German minister on DW/ TV poured cold water over that one and stated that Macron's diplomatic adventure was not sanctioned by Germany or the rest of the EU for that matter. He has embarrassed himself.

Edited by Spekulatius

1 hour ago, Spekulatius said:

A German minister on DW/ TV poured cold water over that one and stated that Macron's diplomatic adventure was not sanction by Germany or the rest of the EU for that matter. He has embarrassed himself.

Macron needs to visit this site in his own country to educate himself on who are France's allies.

Normandy American Cemetary copy.jpg

Somehow, this last post of yours hit a nerve at me, Mike [ @boilermaker75 ],

My personal biggest worries related to the conflict and all its ramifications, as of right now, and ordered :

How to stop the meaningsless loss of so many lives,

How to stop the meaningsless loss of all kind of infrastructure, homes etc., &

How to get the adoption of Sweden in Nato on the fly. [If some of my fellow CoBF members don't understand the importance of Sweden in this respect, just look up an updated map for the NATO area in the Nordics. It is about protecting the integrity of Finland.]

Edited by John Hjorth

4 hours ago, John Hjorth said:

Somehow, this last post of yours hit a nerve at me, Mike [ @boilermaker75 ],

My personal biggest worries related to the conflict and all its ramifications, as of right now, and ordered :

How to stop the meaningsless loss of so many lives,

How to stop the meaningsless loss of all kind of infrastructure, homes etc., &

How to get the adoption of Sweden in Nato on the fly. [If some of my fellow CoBF members don't understand the importance Sweden in this respect, just look up an updated map for the NATO area in the Nordics. It is about protecting the integrity of Finland.]

Agreed.  If the US government had brains, it would tell Turkey that either Sweden gets into NATO or Turkey is kicked out and then Sweden gets it.  It is Turkey's choice as to what it prefers.

12 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

A German minister on DW/ TV poured cold water over that one and stated that Macron's diplomatic adventure was not sanctioned by Germany or the rest of the EU for that matter. He has embarrassed himself.

Macron showed his cards at the poker table, LOL. Weak hands. 🎣

3 hours ago, Ulti said:

https://noahpinion.substack.com/p/europe-is-not-ready-to-be-a-third

interesting substack on how Europe is diminishing in manufacturing, defense and a host of other areas.

it’s a real interesting viewpoint. But Europe and the USA make for a very powerful defense and deterrent for bad guys. Macron is wrong. Hopefully the Germans will get him back in line.

2 hours ago, cubsfan said:

But Europe and the USA make for a very powerful defense and deterrent for bad guys.

Relationships do change.....Who would have thought we would be allies with japan and germany ?  While I despise President Trump (as well as President Biden) for a variety of reasons... he was totally correct in calling out

Europeans on lack of defense spending and too much reliance on the US. I just don't see that changing in the current economic environment. I also think that if the economy tanks , it will be much tougher for the American public to support the war.

I agree alliances do change. But the Western Alliance (Europe/USA) has brought remarkable peace for 75 years now.  It needs to stick together.

It remains the most powerful alliance of all.

If it’s able to link up with Japan, S Korea, Australia- it’s unbeatable.

20 hours ago, cubsfan said:

The global flashpoint, as everyone knows, is/will be in Asia.......as America did in its rise to regional hegemon & subsequently global hegemon..........China, as an emergent rising power, will seek first to dominant its own region of the world...if it can't dominate/control an island a number of miles of its coast it has a problem.......the 'containment' of China from becoming a regional hegemon in Asia is this century's great battleground......and the likely frontline of WW3 if it happens.......as we know China is surrounded by difficult & problematic neighbours....... it has a tough tough road ahead to create anything close to the North American-esque sphere of dominance & safety that the USA first established and then enjoyed in the formative period of its rise to global superpower.......Russia has been pushed into China's arms as allie & now defacto dependents......the cost of the Ukraine war in a strategic sense for the West is that, with Russia in its back pocket, we've helped China put one piece of the complicated jigsaw its attempting to put together in its region.........it's clear to me the Western power should be trying to make China's life ever more problematic instead of simpler............Japan, Vietnam, S Korea & Australia are absolutely key to that and whomever else we can get in our column.

On 4/14/2023 at 6:29 PM, cubsfan said:

I agree alliances do change. But the Western Alliance (Europe/USA) has brought remarkable peace for 75 years now.  It needs to stick together.

It depends on who you ask. The people of Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Libya, Palestine, Vietnam, Korea, Serbia and many Central American and African countries might disagree.

I don't think a strategy of containment against China is viable. The country is far too large and well-connected to the world.

It's far better to pursue a strategy of improving our domestic situation. The US won the Cold War because it was clear to the Soviets and the World that the US system delivered far better outcomes.

Unfortunately when you look at the statistics today, in terms of healthcare, education, crime, safety, growth, China's system offers a very compelling alternative. Part of it is due to brilliant leadership in China, but the bigger part is because the US has squandered so many opportunities and pursued idiotic domestic and foreign policies.

Edited by mcliu