What are you listening to ? (Music thread)

Spekulatius

Another great late song by New Order was from their 2013 album "Lost Sirens" with "Californian Grass".  I feel like driving up the Pacific Coast Highway in a Porsche 911 Carrera every time I listen to this song!  Cheers!

Also can't forget these guys...arguably the most under-rated rock/punk bands of all-time who keep putting out good music 40 years into it.  A style all their own and identifiably Californian!  Some great songs by them especially when Frusciante was playing.

One of the great bass guitarists in Flea, lead guitarist in Frusciante, and drummers of all time in Chad Smith...combined with Anthony Keidis' unique vocals...The Red Hot Chilli Peppers!  Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2024 at 6:50 AM, nwoodman said:

Shellac’s new album,’To All Trains’ that was released 10 days after Steve Albini passed away.  Was a big fan of Big Black in the day, and Steve’s vocals still hold up today, raw and intense as ever. RIP.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/shellac-to-all-trains/

Albini - what a guy.  Used to listen to Atomizer a fair bit - things like Kerosene still hold up - intense! And he produced a few of my favourite albums.

Good to find some indie people on CoBF - I suspected general tastes were more conservative. 

However I must confess I could never get into the Smiths.

Edited by thowed

• 2 weeks later...

I knew and listened to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, but I had no idea about Cave's writings or the death of his two boys.  He was on Stephen Colbert tonight and that's when I found out about that side.  Here is an article about the death of his two boys and how it impacted his view of the world:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/nick-cave-bad-seeds-children-b2594948.html

He then started the Red Hand Files, where he takes letters sent to him and answers them.  This one to Valerio was showcased on Colbert...what a brilliant lucid view of what life is and how loss defines our humanity:

https://www.theredhandfiles.com/do-you-still-believe-in-us/

Cheers!

59 minutes ago, Parsad said:

I knew and listened to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, but I had no idea about Cave's writings or the death of his two boys.  He was on Stephen Colbert tonight and that's when I found out about that side.  Here is an article about the death of his two boys and how it impacted his view of the world:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/nick-cave-bad-seeds-children-b2594948.html

He then started the Red Hand Files, where he takes letters sent to him and answers them.  This one to Valerio was showcased on Colbert...what a brilliant lucid view of what life is and how loss defines our humanity:

https://www.theredhandfiles.com/do-you-still-believe-in-us/

Cheers!

A true true great.  He must be doing the rounds as he was featured here too.  One of the better interviews I have seen recently

Posted (edited)

Somehow got back into Warren Zevons music. I had the Sentimental Hygiene record back then. I  knew Werewolves of London but never his other works and there is plenty of it. You got to embrace the dark side if you listen to his music. There is some F***** up sh*t to be found there.

I love gems  like Roland the headless Thompson gunner:

Edited by Spekulatius

On 8/17/2024 at 8:09 PM, nwoodman said:

That should be a blast, enjoy👍

First there was temple-bar in the afternoon, then the concert ... then the airport show the next morning! The 3-hour pre-arrival for international flights that became 4-hours, as every 2nd/3rd hung-over 65+ geezer in AC/DC gear made their way home ... playing the sound on their phone (as loudly as tolerable), 3-5 at a time!   

I understand that similar to Taylor Swift ... Dublin return via Ryan Air, plus two nights hotel, plus concert ticket, plus a duty-free 750 ml bottle of Jameson to take home with you, was expected to be about the same price as buying a ticket at home (were it available). Of course ... it's Ryan Air .... so you're only taking your passport/carry-on with you 😅

Great concert.

SD

• 2 weeks later...

Iron Maiden tonight.  Looking forward to Eddie with a zimmer frame 😜.  Can’t say I have played more than one or two songs in the last 10 years but a big part of my early intro to music. Commiserating our collective age with a few mates before hand should make for a fun evening though 👍

11 hours ago, Parsad said:

For those that enjoy Pearl Jam...one of the finer songs they've written in the last decade or so.  Lyrics are fantastic and Vedder's voice remains solid!  Cheers!

Thanks Parsad, didn't know they had a new single out. To me, Pearl Jam peaked here:

The crowd won't even let Vedder sing, and at MSG. A musician's dream, very few are able to achieve. I'm a sucker for songwriting and 'Better Man' is pure lyrical marvel. It touches a chord for a lot of women and men.

Tell him, "Take no more"
She practices her speech
As he opens the door, she rolls over
Pretends to sleep as he looks her over

Talkin' to herself
There's no one else who needs to know
She tells herself, oh
Memories back when she was bold and strong
And waiting for the world to come along
Swears she knew it, now she swears he's gone

She dreams in color, she dreams in red
Can't find a better man
Can't find a better man
Can't find a better man
She loved him, yeah
She don't want to leave this way
She feeds him, yeah
That's why she'll be back again

How does someone write that? All by himself! There is music with rhyming words, and then there is music with poetry. This song is poetry at it's finest. The band is in a genre of their own.

Since I am on the topic of songwriting:

Jason Isbell, is for me easily one of the top 5 songwriters, at least in english music. Speed Trap Town is an excellent song, never was there a song that explores the themes he explores and the way he goes about exploring it. One of the few artists where the live experience is actually better than the Apple Music one.

I am as old as many of you.  And while I love music from the 80's, 90's, etc., I also love newer music - something I'm not seeing much of in this thread.  So for that reason I'm going to encourage you guys to try out some younger artists that are great (in no particular order):

Grouplove - Moving and infectious, uplifting rock with two vocalists.  You may know their song 'Tongue Tied.'  Examples of other great songs: 'Deleter,' 'Welcome to Your Life,' 'Cheese,' and 'I'm with You.'

Noah Kahan - Vermonter who plays folksy acoustic guitar-driven music that has a lot of emotion.  Examples of great songs: 'Northern Attitude,' 'Stick Season,' and 'She Calls Me Back.'

Dinosaur Pile-Up - For those who like their rock a little harder.  Listen to their album 'Celebrity Mansions' and check out songs like 'Back Foot,' 'Round the Bend,' and 'Long Way Down.'  You'll hear elements of Blink and Radiohead here and there.

Smallpools - Fun pop rock with some emotional tracks too.  You may know their song 'Dreaming.'  Check out other songs like 'Killer Whales,' 'Passenger Side,' 'Mother,' and 'Stumblin' Home.'

Zach Person - Love bluesy rock and Lenny Kravitz?  Give this guy a listen.  He has a new album titled 'Feel It.'  Check out the title track and songs like 'Muddy Water' and 'Make It.'

Jadu Heart - Erethral alternative rock.  Check out the album 'Derealised' and the song 'Cocoon.'

Joey Valence & Brae - Modern take on the Beastie Boys.

RDGLDGRN (Red Gold Green) - Rock music with bouncy rap vibes.  Listen to 'I Love Lamp,' 'Lootin in London,' and their new song 'Feel It Right Now' (those from the DC area will recognize the go go beats).  They have lots of tracks on video games.

I hope you find something new you enjoy!

3 minutes ago, tooskinneejs said:

I am as old as many of you.  And while I love music from the 80's, 90's, etc., I also love newer music - something I'm not seeing much of in this thread.  So for that reason I'm going to encourage you guys to try out some younger artists that are great (in no particular order):

Grouplove - Moving and infectious, uplifting rock with two vocalists.  You may know their song 'Tongue Tied.'  Examples of other great songs: 'Deleter,' 'Welcome to Your Life,' 'Cheese,' and 'I'm with You.'

Noah Kahan - Vermonter who plays folksy acoustic guitar-driven music that has a lot of emotion.  Examples of great songs: 'Northern Attitude,' 'Stick Season,' and 'She Calls Me Back.'

Dinosaur Pile-Up - For those who like their rock a little harder.  Listen to their album 'Celebrity Mansions' and check out songs like 'Back Foot,' 'Round the Bend,' and 'Long Way Down.'  You'll hear elements of Blink and Radiohead here and there.

Smallpools - Fun pop rock with some emotional tracks too.  You may know their song 'Dreaming.'  Check out other songs like 'Killer Whales,' 'Passenger Side,' 'Mother,' and 'Stumblin' Home.'

Zach Person - Love bluesy rock and Lenny Kravitz?  Give this guy a listen.  He has a new album titled 'Feel It.'  Check out the title track and songs like 'Muddy Water' and 'Make It.'

Jadu Heart - Erethral alternative rock.  Check out the album 'Derealised' and the song 'Cocoon.'

Joey Valence & Brae - Modern take on the Beastie Boys.

RDGLDGRN (Red Gold Green) - Rock music with bouncy rap vibes.  Listen to 'I Love Lamp,' 'Lootin in London,' and their new song 'Feel It Right Now' (those from the DC area will recognize the go go beats).  They have lots of tracks on video games.

I hope you find something new you enjoy!

Sergio Mendes  - Brasil '66.  RIP.

13 hours ago, whatstheofficerproblem said:

Thanks Parsad, didn't know they had a new single out. To me, Pearl Jam peaked here:

The crowd won't even let Vedder sing, and at MSG. A musician's dream, very few are able to achieve. I'm a sucker for songwriting and 'Better Man' is pure lyrical marvel. It touches a chord for a lot of women and men.

Tell him, "Take no more"
She practices her speech
As he opens the door, she rolls over
Pretends to sleep as he looks her over

Talkin' to herself
There's no one else who needs to know
She tells herself, oh
Memories back when she was bold and strong
And waiting for the world to come along
Swears she knew it, now she swears he's gone

She dreams in color, she dreams in red
Can't find a better man
Can't find a better man
Can't find a better man
She loved him, yeah
She don't want to leave this way
She feeds him, yeah
That's why she'll be back again

How does someone write that? All by himself! There is music with rhyming words, and then there is music with poetry. This song is poetry at it's finest. The band is in a genre of their own.

I personally think Vitalogy was Pearl Jam's greatest album!  On par with Nirvana's Nevermind and In Utero.  I saw them in Seattle on that tour...one of the greatest concerts I've seen!

Better Man was great, but I think Corduroy is one of the finest hard rock songs of all time, with one of the greatest mashes of colliding guitar riffs...a slamming drum beat...and extraordinary vocals by Eddie Vedder.  Perfect! 

The only song I can compare the end to is The Edge and Daniel Lanois' guitars at the end of With or Without You.  While that was sonically beautiful, this is disturbingly loud and angry...exactly what the grunge movement was.  Cheers!