COBF 2020 Returns (pre-tax, after fees, etc)

Broeb22
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2016: 18%

2017: 40%

2018: -12%

2019: 30%

2020: 27%

Notable winners

Wayfair @ $30

PSH

GBTC

ALSK - small telco M&A, caught CBB as well last year, looking at couple levered names on this theme

PNTG - well run home heath nursing spin off

CPPMF - levered Canada copper miner with improving operations, cheap at current copper prices

Losers:

BMYRT

some 2021 positions

MSFT as blue chip play

BMY low multiple with visibility on multiyear earnings growth

OPCH as leading home infusion play

CNR as levered housing play

Unfortunately calculating my returns is harder than in previous years. Drawdowns and a broker change being the main reason. Anyway, I will post my estimate for my worst year ever (nominal returns). If I can I will try to post more trustworthy returns

2ndhalf 2011 and 2012:  20%

2013: 30%

2014: 50%

2015: less 5%

2016: 50%

2017: 160-170%

2018: 11% (It seems it was 6% if I exclude an year end wuote manipulation, but I will take the 11% because it is easier to do the math and the 2019 return will adust for that)

2019: 0.6% (I had to use 02/01/2020 quote due to year end portfolio movements, return would have been sligtly lower, probably around zero)

2020: likely about less 35%

Results are in euro, before taxes but after all other costs.

Notes:

- a very big drawdown after a down year will make it harder to recover to previous levels

- remaining portfolio is highly concentrated in just 2 very iliquid stocks. Thankfully year end news were good for both companies and one of them is already up quite a bit. I expected even better news by now, but COVID makes everything slower, so I will have to wait. I continue with good expectations for both so I don't mind iliquidity: I probably will want to hold both for years anyway.

- being a father at year end 2017 and again in the first half 2019 seems to have impacted returns. I don't think there is a coincidence. For future reference, I suggest everyone to index when they have small kids (especially if you have two in a row).

looking at the poll results, it looks like a normal distribution centered around +10%, turned 90 degrees, which makes sense, except for the outlier...massive number of +50% returns.  while I dont want to harsh anyone's mellow, I think there is a bit too much risk-taking going on...

I attribute my 2020 to luck.  Basically, largest position was in a good tech fruit stock.  And NOT messing around too much when things went good/bad. 

I also found this board very helpful with idea generations. 

52% Personal, 68% retirement IRA's, retirement was more invested throughout. Short version, traded march-june mainly, no margin. Next, went all in brk, holding just a couple others as well, at 178 10% of which was OOM Calls which were subsequently sold for a quick 55%. Basically did nothing after brk, told my partner to let me know if the brk price went up or down 20% and forgot about stocks.

Big winners,

HCA at 65

ADS at 22

TSE at 20

Kbh at 12

kbe at 27

oln at 11

kkr at 18

My stock holdings for 2020:  60.21%

Holdings that did well (in no particular order):  AYRWF, FSLY, AAPL, AMZN, SHOP, TTD, SE, SWAV, TRUP, TRRSF, APPN, AAXN, UI, SDGR, WFCF

Crypto holdings in 2020:  329.48%  and up another 39.08% YTD in 2021.  As of today my crypto holdings are about 29% of my total stock/crypto portfolio.  BTC is now my largest holding of any type.

Holdings mostly BTC, ETH, XMR, XTZ

One of the best moves Ive made in my life(I like to think Ive made a bunch!) by far, was simply buying a reasonable sized house that I could see myself raising my kids in and living in for 30 years, at the age of 25. Its only 3,000 sq ft so every now and again I ponder what it would be like to have a gargantuan waterfront home or something like that...but at the end of the day, having a manageable housing cost is a tremendous advantage. Same with cars. Ive had nice cars but after a month its just another thing that gets you from A to B. After 6 months you dont care about it and $100+ oil changes and $200 a piece tires drive you insane, the same as your homes property tax bill-which never declines and always seems to outstrip inflation. The lower your recurring/fixed home+auto costs the more freedom you will have in life, or so Ive found.

I agree with you, I down sized from 4000+ sqft to 3000 sq ft 5 years ago and I always drive my cars 10 years or more.  I just bought a Lexus GX this year as well as a Forester, but I won't buy another car for a decade or more.  There will be no $600/mo car payments.  I did have a chuckle at your comment about the "only 3000 sq ft" house though.  I grew up in a house that was about 700 sq ft with one bathroom smaller than one of my closets in my house now.  Even though I've lived in larger, I still think of my 3000 sq ft house with 4 bd, 3.5 baths and 3 car garage as massive and unnecessarily extravagant.

~up 68%.

pure luck.

Mostly TSLA...Trimmed multiple times last year but still became the largest position. Now I'm just sitting on it even though it's ridiculously priced.

Made an offer on a house last week. If I had won, I would've trimmed more TSLA to pay for down payment, but I didn't win the offer.

I was up 138% in SEK. A little more in USD. End march I was down -25% or so.

Best year I had since I started tracking in 2012. Now up ca 2500% since 2012-01. Traded quite actively since Covid. Had some big winners related to online gambling in the US in Kindred, Net Ent, Evolution Gaming, Kambi. Also made a big purchase in a Real Estate stock that tanked when the CEO was investigated for insider trading which I judged to be immaterial to values that worked out (SBB B in Stockholm).

Condolences to John and anyone else who've had tough years in the health & family departments. My old man with cancer tackled covid well and found a good treatment which is a relief since we fairly recently lost my mom to another cancer way too young.

~ -5% (a bit hard to track as across a few accounts with inflows and outflows). Sold a few risky things in March and April that have tripled or quadrupled since and concentrated around 5-6 names that did well since but not as well (most significantly WFC). Should have probably sat on my hands in March and April

33% (Switched Brokers so + or - a 1%)

Sold a handful of positions way too early (UPS), but also had some great luck with options this past year.

RTX, GOOG (options), PNC, TPL, and a few others were my top plays. I built up my portfolio with a lot of value (imo) so I'm hoping to see some benefit in the coming years.

I answered with my -6.03% native currency GBP return (-3.42% in USD) underperforming SP500 Total Return index by -21.82% in 2020.

My downside estimate (which long-term tracks IV rather than price - hence labelling it USD_IV below) shows a +32.39% increase in USD at year end in USD. 2019's value was depressed thanks to a merger arb still in play in 2019 with high exposure and substantial low-likelihood downside if held to the merger date. I've rated 2020 YE downside as very low.

The geometric averages over 5 years show my total compound return is in the ballpark of my compound change in IV/downside - about 14% less downside now than at 2015 YE.

YEAR GBPret USDret SP500TR Outperf GBP_IV USD_IV
2020 -6.03% -3.42%  18.40% -21.82% 27.67% 32.39%
2019 13.59% 18.02%  31.49% -13.46%  1.81%  8.36%
2018 32.95% 25.30%  -4.38%  29.69% 43.74% 40.88%
2017 14.14% 24.83%  21.83%   2.99% -2.19% 12.72%
2016 54.19% 24.16%  11.96%  12.20% 48.90% 19.09%
================================================
5yAv 19.58% 17.23%  15.21%   2.02% 22.74% 20.39%
================================================