Coronavirus

spartansaver

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some new information illustrating how Trump conducts business on behalf of the United States.

1. Canada signed a contract with 3M for an order of masks

2. Canada PAID 3M for the masks in advance.

3. Canada supplies 3M with materials to make masks

4. 3M produced the masks that now belong to Canada

5. Trump orders 3M not to ship masks to Canada and hold them for US use

6. Seems Canada threatened to prevent several thousand Canadian nurses from crossing the border to Detroit.

7. Facing closure of several Detroit hospitals, Trump backs down and allows masks to be shipped.

Walk softly and carry a big stick.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/3m-makes-deal-with-white-house-says-canada-will-continue-to-receive-n95-masks-1.4885409

Ford initially said that a shipment of three million masks was turned around at the border, and that after a conversation with U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer, he'd been able to secure 500,000. But Ontario government officials later said the premier was mistaken -- that the delayed shipment had only been 500,000 masks in the first place.

Lose-lose situation. If you allow exports and there’s domestic shortages, you get blamed for killing hospital workers. If you ban exports, you get blamed for hurting other countries.

This is exactly what a hospital employee told me when I asked about their underutilized ventilators. Not sure a slam dunk problem to solve.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/coronavirus-drug-manufacturing-us-should-break-dependence-on-china/

From 2010 to 2018, U.S. imports of pharmaceuticals from China increased 75 percent. China is the second largest exporter of drugs and biologics to the United States behind Canada, and our dependence is even greater, given that China is the source of the active ingredients of many drugs produced elsewhere. India, another major source of drugs for the U.S., gets about 75 percent of its active ingredients from China.

China is fully aware of its leverage. It notoriously threatened via its state-run media to cut off our supply of drugs (except fentanyl, of course) and plunge the U.S. into “the mighty sea of coronavirus.”

I certainly hope that we're starting to peak in more places. A lot of places have been taking stronger measures for about 3 weeks, so this is about the right time to be seeing the impact.

From the start, every epidemiologist has been saying: If it ends up looking like we over-reacted, it means measures worked, not that we over-reacted.

It's not too hard to run a scenario in your head where there's no shutdown and you get a couple more weeks of very high daily exponential growth and instead of what we're seeing now, you have a few more million cases and things are quite a bit worse.

But we're far from out of the woods. I know everyone is starved for good news so when we get some it feels really different, but things are far from over. Let's not botch this phase of things and really get this thing under control.

NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/us/politics/coronavirus-trump-malaria-drug.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Excerpt:

"Mr. Trump himself has a small personal financial interest in Sanofi, the French drugmaker that makes Plaquenil, the brand-name version of hydroxychloroquine.

As of last year, Mr. Trump reported that his three family trusts each had investments in a Dodge & Cox mutual fund, whose largest holding was in Sanofi."

Trump probably shouldn't be promoting cures, but this attack is absurd. Fake news?

https://www.holdingschannel.com/13f/dodge-cox-top-holdings/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/live-blog/2020-04-07/new-york-governor-cuomo-holds-coronavirus-briefing

NY new cases decelerate to ~8%, new deaths grew about ~15% (not insignificant). What this tells rational folk is:

1) Deaths are delayed and a lagging indicator (duh)

2) The benefits of seemingly draconian "overreaction" by President Cuomo (the de facto President for 'cesspool' NYers) are only seen weeks later. Likely due to several week incubation period before severe symptoms develop.

Nonetheless, President Cuomo's management of this "hoax" has been superb, especially considering the fact he does not control the FDA or CDC.

Nah, he's not doing this one for money, he's just gambling that if it turns out to work, he can say he knew and pretend to be the savior, and if it doesn't, he'll quickly move on and gaslight us about that too. Nothing to lose for him, only for people dealing with the pandemic.

This comedy just keeps getting better! So Cuomo, who did what exactly in January and February to "prepare" is a hero and did a great job now. While his brother Fredo sits around peddling fear and laying it on thick "ooh me tummy hurt, I see dead people!".... meanwhile, Trump, did an awful job managing the entire country; forget the fact that if it wasn't for disaster NY, the country's numbers would look significantly better. Got it!

Again on a logical basis, a total failure. NY is by far the biggest mess in the country. It was(maybe LA gives it a run for the money) even before coronavirus. Cuomo picked up the slack big time and did a great job starting about a month ago. But to claim he did great while Trump did terrible is just so laughable. But thats how it works in leftyville. We do our own thing and when it turns into a mess blame Republicans, while also turning to Uncle Sam for help(where did most of NYs PPE come from)? Oh I forgot, they had it on hand and didn't need any right. Cuz they were just so well managed and prepared because Cuomo and De Blasio, your elected leaders, really nailed this thing!

Some positive European news : Austria, Denmark & Norway have now introduced plans for gradually, slowly & carefully reopenings of societies.

Definitely positive. Our President (Cuomo), who has already accomplished the highest volume of testing per capita (even though NY is among the most populated states), is now talking about antibody testing -- those with proven immunity to be let out first. Seems like a decent strategy, but the concern is that may be too small a number to celebrate "reopening". Nice to have a cautious, reasoned leader though.

Nonetheless, President Cuomo's management of this "hoax" has been superb, especially considering the fact he does not control the FDA or CDC.

Superb - yeah, if you want to catch CV!  Hotspot of the entire country!

I wonder how that Chinatown parade and those subway rides turned out?  These guys wouldn't know since they travel in limos, but they ARE ALWAYS

POLITICALLY CORRECT.

"Everyone is welcome in NYC" (even if you carry high contagious diseases!)

And just think, Cuomo's contagious shit-for-brains brother went to visit mom with it - but he IS politically correct.

You guys are hilarious!

By my calculation, PA unemployment is up to 22.6% as of today.  PA is one of the few states that publishes daily unemployment claims data.

https://www.uc.pa.gov/COVID-19/Pages/UC-Claim-Statistics.aspx

Feb unemployed: 308,900

New Covid unemployment claims: 1,179,326

Total unemployed: 1,488,200

Total PA labor force:  6,558,000

Unemployment rate: 22.6%

If other states are proportional, there would be an additional 4+ million unemployment claims for last week when the data is reported on Thursday.  Obviously that's an extrapolation from one state, however claims in certain states (notably TX, FL) have been low the past few weeks due to issues with those states filing systems.  I would guess 4 million +- 1 million is a pretty good guess for last week, and claims are still not slowing.

In the last two days, unemployment has risen in PA by 1.6%....in two days.

Interesting information here if you get Covid that a pulmonologist told Chris Cuomo.  I haven't confirmed any of it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/peopleandplaces/chris-cuomo-heres-the-secret-to-kicking-this-virus/vi-BB12fdGt?ocid=U506DHP

A lot of these actions (mobility, deep breaths) are used routinely in hospitals to reduce the risk of pulmonary complications post surgery (out of bed orders, incentive spirometry) so they make sense. They can help clear secretions, improve pulmonary mechanics, reduce risk of atelectasis (part of lung collapsing leading to pneumonia). Can also reduce other complications (deep vein thrombosis).

Other actions that I think help are:

- Indoor humidification (optimizes mucociliary clearance-MCC)

- Avoiding cold air (MCC is optimal at core body temp)

- Maintain hydration (optimizes mucuous layer that covers respiratory tract and clearance of particles/microbia and may prevent viral attachment/entry)--so optimizes MCC again; use oral rehydration formulas to do this: pedialyte, gatorade, or just water + salts + sugar

- Vitamin D (some evidence about upper respiratory infections in general)

- Multivitamin (because why not? asymmetry)

In fact, a lot of asymmetry with all of these.

Trump, did an awful job managing the entire country; forget the fact that if it wasn't for disaster NY, the country's numbers would look significantly better.

Imagine, if Trump did more to help NYC, maybe his numbers would look better. But of course, he doesn't actually care because it's a blue state

NY is by far the biggest mess in the country. It was(maybe LA gives it a run for the money) even before coronavirus.

The two states with 20% of the nation's GDP are the biggest mess, you must be kidding!

This comedy just keeps getting better! So Cuomo, who did what exactly in January and February to "prepare" is a hero and did a great job now. While his brother Fredo sits around peddling fear and laying it on thick "ooh me tummy hurt, I see dead people!".... meanwhile, Trump, did an awful job managing the entire country; forget the fact that if it wasn't for disaster NY, the country's numbers would look significantly better. Got it!

Again on a logical basis, a total failure. NY is by far the biggest mess in the country. It was(maybe LA gives it a run for the money) even before coronavirus. Cuomo picked up the slack big time and did a great job starting about a month ago. But to claim he did great while Trump did terrible is just so laughable. But thats how it works in leftyville. We do our own thing and when it turns into a mess blame Republicans, while also turning to Uncle Sam for help(where did most of NYs PPE come from)? Oh I forgot, they had it on hand and didn't need any right. Cuz they were just so well managed and prepared because Cuomo and De Blasio, your elected leaders, really nailed this thing!

Greg, you might want to watch this video from March 2. The doctor was from one of the hospitals in New York. He was not able to test for the virus. No tests were available. And he was freaking out. Washington State had the exactly same problem. Doctors KNEW they had virus issues. But they were unable to test.

-

The CDC completely screwed up. Their screw up allowed the clusters to form in Washington State and New York. The clusters in Washington State and New York then seeded the virus in many other regions in the US. This well documented. The current health and economic costs being bourne by the US are primarily due to the incompetence of the CDC. The US did not start testing for the virus in numbers until mid March. By then the genie was out of the bottle.

The CDC is a federally funded organization that takes its direction from the White House. Watch one of Trumps daily updates if you dispute how close the White House is directing the actions of the CDC.

——————————-

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the leading national public health institute of the United States. It is a United States federal agency, under the Department of Health and Human Services, and is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia.[2]

NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/us/politics/coronavirus-trump-malaria-drug.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Excerpt:

"Mr. Trump himself has a small personal financial interest in Sanofi, the French drugmaker that makes Plaquenil, the brand-name version of hydroxychloroquine.

As of last year, Mr. Trump reported that his three family trusts each had investments in a Dodge & Cox mutual fund, whose largest holding was in Sanofi."

Trump probably shouldn't be promoting cures, but this attack is absurd. Fake news?

https://www.holdingschannel.com/13f/dodge-cox-top-holdings/

Totally immaterial. Even if hydroxychloroquine became a treatment the impact to Sanofis bottom line would be immaterial due to this substance being a generic. Then on top of this, Sanofi is a small position of this funds portfolio.

Viking, I don’t disagree. There’s blame to be had pretty much everywhere. I’ve said as much. It’s typical of pretty much any situation; something goes wrong and people feel the need to point fingers.

My greater point was to highlight how ridiculous we can get, on both sides, if we really want to engage in deliberate cherry picking, misrepresentation, and peddling of partisan propaganda.

Some positive European news : Austria, Denmark & Norway have now introduced plans for gradually, slowly & carefully reopenings of societies.

Definitely positive. Our President (Cuomo), who has already accomplished the highest volume of testing per capita (even though NY is among the most populated states), is now talking about antibody testing -- those with proven immunity to be let out first. Seems like a decent strategy, but the concern is that may be too small a number to celebrate "reopening". Nice to have a cautious, reasoned leader though.

Just elaborating a bit about what's going on here about Denmark [Perhaps Per [CoBF member perulv] will elaborate a bit about what's going on in Norway] : Schools class 0 - 5 will open just after Easter [will create an enormous productivity gain for the parents still working from home! [ : - ) ]]. Pupils in the highest classes will start in school, too, to prepare for exit exams.

The intent is to gradually & carefully build herd immunity, in a controlled & closely monitored way [& roll-back, if things start to escalate again]. It reads right to me - We will eventually end in the Stone Age, if this continues - an extreme hard lock-down on March 12th 2020.

More oxygen to zombie businesses hit by this under discussion.

Better than nothing, & just for starters.

- - -  o 0 o - - -

As a #metooCOVID-19? without access to testing [as of now] to get clarity, I have today found a short-cut : I'm an inactive Danish blood donor [have been a donor since I turned 18]. About 15 years ago I deactivated my account, because I was running on/off on pain killers for a bit less than a couple years because of a bad back. Tomorrow I'll activate my account again. The Danish blood banks use the taps for COVID testing, providing data to get a handle on the dark COVID numbers.

I wonder if this risk (getting sued for not providing a safe work environment) slows getting back to work...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/international-business/us-business/article-estate-of-walmart-employee-who-died-from-covid-19-sues-company-for/

The family of a Walmart Inc employee in Illinois who died after contracting COVID-19, the illness caused by the novel coronavirus, has filed a lawsuit accusing the retail giant of failing to adequately screen and protect workers.

The lawsuit filed in Illinois state court on Monday by the estate of Wando Evans says the Walmart store south of Chicago was not properly cleaned and employees were not given masks, gloves, antibacterial wipes or other protective equipment.

Evans died on March 25, and another employee at the same store died four days later from complications due to COVID-19, according to the complaint.

Did you just have an aneurysm?

Just elaborating a bit about what's going on here about Denmark [Perhaps Per [CoBF member perulv] will elaborate a bit about what's going on in Norway] : Schools class 0 - 5 will open just after Easter [will create an enormous productivity gain for the parents still working from home! [ : - ) ]]. Pupils in the highest classes will start in school, too, to prepare for exit exams.

The intent is to gradually & carefully build herd immunity, in a controlled & closely monitored way [& roll-back, if things start to escalate again]. It reads right to me - We will eventually end in the Stone Age, if this continues - an extreme hard lock-down on March 12th 2020.

More oxygen to zombie businesses hit by this under discussion.

Better than nothing, & just for starters.

- - -  o 0 o - - -

As a #metooCOVID-19? without access to testing [as of now] to get clarity, I have today found a short-cut : I'm an inactive Danish blood donor [have been a donor since I turned 18]. About 15 years ago I deactivated my account, because I was running on/off on pain killers for a bit less than a couple years because of a bad back. Tomorrow I'll activate my account again. The Danish blood banks use the taps for COVID testing, providing data to get a handle on the dark COVID numbers.

Awesome report John - keep that stuff coming.