Coronavirus

spartansaver

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did BLM go since 2016? Or did Trump solve police brutality? The lowlifes, as they do, just find "another cause" to use as an excuse. Murdering cops is a far cry from "kneeling", but hey, it seems you're willing to give the benefit of the doubt, since it's your guys being questioned. Perhaps try applying that to everyone, or eliminating it altogether... consistency.

Where did BLM go since 2016? Or did Trump solve police brutality? The lowlifes, as they do, just find "another cause" to use as an excuse. Murdering cops is a far cry from "kneeling", but hey, it seems you're willing to give the benefit of the doubt, since it's your guys being questioned. Perhaps try applying that to everyone, or eliminating it altogether... consistency.

For the record, murdering cops is reprehensible and cops sure as hell don’t have an easy job. Dunno what that has to do with “my guy”. Oh, you must be thinking of Dallas shooting which was weakly linked to BLM. Where Obama spoke:

“We still don’t know all the facts. What we do know is that there’s been a vicious, calculated and despicable attack on law enforcement. Police in Dallas were on duty, doing their job, keeping people safe during a peaceful protest. These law enforcement officers were targeted, and nearly a dozen officers were shot, five were killed. Other officers and at least one civilian were wounded. Some are in serious conditions and we are praying for their recovery.

As I told Mayor Rawlings, and I believe that I speak for every single American when I say, that we are horrified over these events and that we stand united with people and the police department in Dallas.”

"“First the shootings in Minnesota and Baton Rouge, the protests, then the targeting of police by the shooter here — an act not just of demented violence, but of racial hatred. All of it’s left us wounded and angry and hurt. It’s as if the deepest fault lines of our democracy have suddenly been exposed, perhaps even widened."

Don't see him making false equivalences here...

https://fortune.com/2016/07/08/transcript-obama-dallas-police-shootings/

Just a tad different than “Both Sides” Trump.

Now back to coronavirus

Too bad you guys still can't come up with a reasonable candidate that is not a total screwball.

4 years to get it done, but you let the LEFT totally wreck the Democratic Party - and still cheer them on. What a farce.

You get what you deserve: Donald Trump to keep this country from going totally off the rails, after the Obama's 8 years of nothing.

Good riddance to the Great Democratic Progressive Agenda....

Oh, yeah, I forgot about ObamaCare and he killed Bin Laden - at least he did one thing right in 8 years.

Calculated Risk blog has started tracking six indicators to help track the recovery:

1.) daily total traveller

2.) diners

3.) domestic box office

4.) hotel occupancy

5.) gasoline consumption

6.) mobility trends: driving, walking, transit

MONDAY, MAY 18, 2020

Six High Frequency Indicators for the Eventual Recovery

- https://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2020/05/six-high-frequency-indicators-for.html

Here is a good visualization if current COVD-19 data. I found that the representation usually put forth by the states sucks,  it these graphs show actually relevant numbers like - of positive as well as number of cases ( both are Important and need to be seen in context since  More tests  means more cases).

Anyways, this has the total US numbers as well as the charts for each state:

https://public.tableau.com/profile/peter.james.walker#!/vizhome/COVID-19SeeYourState/YourStateKeys

Calculated Risk blog has started tracking six indicators to help track the recovery:

1.) daily total traveller

2.) diners

3.) domestic box office

4.) hotel occupancy

5.) gasoline consumption

6.) mobility trends: driving, walking, transit

MONDAY, MAY 18, 2020

Six High Frequency Indicators for the Eventual Recovery

- https://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2020/05/six-high-frequency-indicators-for.html

This needs to be overlaid with reported cases (particularly now that testing is more available) to be truly useful.

re MRNA - they release results of a phase 1 trial. Got a sweet hard deal from the government for vaccine development. Technology sort of unproven and now do a stock offering for $1.25B.

How many ethics violations all done at once does this represent? If this doesn’t represent the current state of regulatory capture and pump and dump scheme of the capital markets, I don’t know what will.

Moncef Slaoui resigned from Moderna's board of directors when the Trump administration tapped him last week to be chief advisor for its Operation Warp Speed, a push to develop and distribute a vaccine to address the COVID-19 pandemic. But he still had stock options for about 156,000 Moderna shares; base

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-announces-proposed-public-offering-shares-common-stock-0

This thread is going to cause COBF to collapse upon itself and vanish into some distant galaxy.

It makes me happy to know that my taking time away from this forum in no way diminishes the quantity or quality of shitposting. ...

Please stop with all the ad hominem.

jschembs, alwaysdrawing & meiroy,

If you read some of the latest pages in this topic with focus on "How did USA end up in this actual situation?" - [related to the situation about the Corona virus in the USA] - based on different political orientations, it will actually provide value to you. -There is actually a common denominator & agreement, which is an underlying shared general & deep frustration in the various posts about the situation [, which to me is somehow comforting].

This thread is going to cause COBF to collapse upon itself and vanish into some distant galaxy.

It makes me happy to know that my taking time away from this forum in no way diminishes the quantity or quality of shitposting. ...

Please stop with all the ad hominem.

jschembs, alwaysdrawing & meiroy,

If you read some of the latest pages in this topic with focus on "How did USA end up in this actual situation?" - [related to the situation about the Corona virus in the USA] - based on different political orientations, it will actually provide value to you. -There is actually a common denominator & agreement, which is an underlying shared general & deep frustration in the various posts about the situation [, which to me is somehow comforting].

Let’s say it that way. My friends and relatives in Germany are a whole lot more worried about our family than they are about their situation. The stats in my state (MA) are 20x worse than they are over there.

Possible vitamin D link:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-growing-evidence-on-vitamin-d-and-covid

Also:

Reported US coronavirus deaths on date:

Feb. 18: 0 deaths

Mar. 18: 149 deaths

Apr. 18: 38,903 deaths

May 18: 90,347 deaths

Also, sad situation in Brazil right now:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/brazils-nurses-are-dying-as-covid-19-overwhelms-hospitals-11589843694

Do you think Trump would be president if people who voted for Trump were better off? I know a lot of Trump voters. Only very few of them actually like him. People voted for him because they are desperate and/or angry.

Obama's poor policies led to Trump. If Obama would have been less of a Wall Street and China puppet, we wouldn't have Trump. I'll also place blame on Clinton and Bush (but considering we had Democrats for 16 years and Republicans for 8, they get most of the blame).

Keep in mind that I voted more times for Obama than I did Trump (1 vote to 0).

Some people are conflating their hardship of the 2008-2020 time to Obama, that's for sure. Just because he was President does not mean he caused the hardship. Correlation doe not imply causation.

When Obama walked into the Oval Office on January 2009, we were in the midst of the largest recession since GD (that Republican guy before him was in charge leading up to it).

The GFC might have more to do with people's hardships leading to vote for Trump than Obama. In the 1930s, there was a lot of radicalism in Europe and the U.S. due to the Great Depression. Similar story for 2008-now. Easier to blame Obama, I get it.

Do you really think Obama hit Wall St has hard as he should of? Or did all of the bankers contributing to his campaign help make sure that didn't happen?

re MRNA - they release results of a phase 1 trial. Got a sweet hard deal from the government for vaccine development. Technology sort of unproven and now do a stock offering for $1.25B.

How many ethics violations all done at once does this represent? If this doesn’t represent the current state of regulatory capture and pump and dump scheme of the capital markets, I don’t know what will.

Moncef Slaoui resigned from Moderna's board of directors when the Trump administration tapped him last week to be chief advisor for its Operation Warp Speed, a push to develop and distribute a vaccine to address the COVID-19 pandemic. But he still had stock options for about 156,000 Moderna shares; base

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-announces-proposed-public-offering-shares-common-stock-0

You just know that there's a guy from the Bush administration going like "Wait, you can do that?!"

https://www.businessinsider.com/youtube-will-ban-anything-against-who-guidance-2020-4?r=US&IR=T

YouTube's CEO suggested content that 'goes against' WHO guidance on the coronavirus will get banned

"Anything that goes against WHO recommendations would be a violation of our policy and so remove is another really important part of our policy."

So WHO website right now says

If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.

Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

Any video that disagrees and suggests to use masks  for healthy people who is not taking care of Covid infected will be against WHO guidance and subject to deletion?

Any video that disagrees and suggests to use masks  for healthy people who is not taking care of Covid infected will be against WHO guidance and subject to deletion?

From what little I've gathered, Youtube's policy is best described, "Anything you post that causes us a headache will get deleted and we'll make up the reason afterwards"

Apologies if this has been covered already. Just digging into Moderna's phase 1 results. They studied the vaccine in 3 doses 25/100/250 in 18-55 age group. Proof of concept looks solid, based on having antibody titers comparable to those in recovering patients with all doses (including neutralizing antibody titers in 8 of 8 with 25/100 dose that have so far been tested). They had systemic side effects in 250 dose and won't go any further with that. Mouse studies showed prevention by these antibodies.

Phase 2 will look into more efficacy and safety data likely with 25/50/100 or two of these.

Phase 3 likely to be in July or August and study 18-55 age group and older age group, I'd say in a city with an outbreak at the time and/or healthcare workers.

Company raised capital and is looking to expand manufacturing capabilities.

Overall as much as I could have hoped for from a first of its kind mRNA vaccine. This is just a little outside my circle of competence, and I'm tempted to expand it and learn more.

I guess I still wonder how immunogenic the lower doses will be in the elderly, what about kids, can the vaccine cause a cytokine storm in those who have had true infection before etc. On the whole, the product, the trial design, the team and the company appear impressive. Disconfirming views welcomed  :)

More details here:

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-announces-positive-interim-phase-1-data-its-mrna-vaccine

https://investors.modernatx.com/events-and-presentations

https://www.modernatx.com/modernas-work-potential-vaccine-against-covid-19

Nice to see the President taking on the corruption of The WHO:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/breaking-trump-sends-scathing-letter-to-who-if-major-changes-are-not-immediately-made-u-s-could-permanently-cut-funding-withdraw-membership?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=benshapiro

The World Health Organization consistently ignored credible reports of the virus spreading in Wuhan in early December 2019 or even earlier, including reports from the Lancet medical journal. The World Health Organization failed to independently investigate credible reports that conflicted directly with the Chinese government’s official accounts, even those that came from sources with Wuhan itself.

By no later than December 30, 2019, the World Health Organization office in Beijing knew that there was a “major public health” concern in Wuhan. Between December 26 and December 30, China’s media highlighted evidence of a new virus emerging from Wuhan, based on patient data sent to multiple Chinese genomic companies. Additionally, during this period, Dr. Zhang Jixian, a doctor from Hubei Provincial Hospital of Integrated Chinese and Western Medicine, told China’s health authorities that a new coronavirus was causing a novel disease that was, at the time, afflicting approximately 180 patients.

According to Dr. Zhang Yongzhen of the Shanghai Public Health Clinic Center, he told Chinese authorities on January 5, 2020, that he had sequenced the genome of the virus. There was no publication of this information until six days later, on January 11, 2020, when Dr. Zhang self-posted it online. The next day, Chinese authorities closed his lab for “rectification.” Even as the World Health Organization acknowledged, Dr. Zhang’s postings was a great act of “transparency.” But the World Health Organization has been conspicuously silent both with respect to the closure of Dr. Zhang’s lab and his assertion that he notified Chinese authorities of his breakthrough six days earlier.

On January 14, the World Health Organization gratuitously reaffirmed China’s now-debunked claim that the coronavirus could not be transmitted between humans, stating: “Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCov) indentified in Wuhan, China” This assertion as in direct conflict with censored reports from Wuhan.

On January 28, 2020, after meeting with President Xi in Beijing, you praised the Chinese government for its “transparency” with respect to the coronavirus, announcing that China had set a “new standard for outbreak control” and “bought the world time.” You did not mention that China had, by then, silenced or punished several doctors for speaking out about the virus and restricted Chines institutions from publishing information about it.

Nice to see the President taking on the corruption of The WHO:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/breaking-trump-sends-scathing-letter-to-who-if-major-changes-are-not-immediately-made-u-s-could-permanently-cut-funding-withdraw-membership?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=benshapiro

The World Health Organization consistently ignored credible reports of the virus spreading in Wuhan in early December 2019 or even earlier, including reports from the Lancet medical journal. The World Health Organization failed to independently investigate credible reports that conflicted directly with the Chinese government’s official accounts, even those that came from sources with Wuhan itself.

By no later than December 30, 2019, the World Health Organization office in Beijing knew that there was a “major public health” concern in Wuhan. Between December 26 and December 30, China’s media highlighted evidence of a new virus emerging from Wuhan, based on patient data sent to multiple Chinese genomic companies. Additionally, during this period, Dr. Zhang Jixian, a doctor from Hubei Provincial Hospital of Integrated Chinese and Western Medicine, told China’s health authorities that a new coronavirus was causing a novel disease that was, at the time, afflicting approximately 180 patients.

According to Dr. Zhang Yongzhen of the Shanghai Public Health Clinic Center, he told Chinese authorities on January 5, 2020, that he had sequenced the genome of the virus. There was no publication of this information until six days later, on January 11, 2020, when Dr. Zhang self-posted it online. The next day, Chinese authorities closed his lab for “rectification.” Even as the World Health Organization acknowledged, Dr. Zhang’s postings was a great act of “transparency.” But the World Health Organization has been conspicuously silent both with respect to the closure of Dr. Zhang’s lab and his assertion that he notified Chinese authorities of his breakthrough six days earlier.

On January 14, the World Health Organization gratuitously reaffirmed China’s now-debunked claim that the coronavirus could not be transmitted between humans, stating: “Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCov) indentified in Wuhan, China” This assertion as in direct conflict with censored reports from Wuhan.

On January 28, 2020, after meeting with President Xi in Beijing, you praised the Chinese government for its “transparency” with respect to the coronavirus, announcing that China had set a “new standard for outbreak control” and “bought the world time.” You did not mention that China had, by then, silenced or punished several doctors for speaking out about the virus and restricted Chines institutions from publishing information about it.

Agreed. The WHO is a way too beholden to China.

Do you think Trump would be president if people who voted for Trump were better off? I know a lot of Trump voters. Only very few of them actually like him. People voted for him because they are desperate and/or angry.

Obama's poor policies led to Trump. If Obama would have been less of a Wall Street and China puppet, we wouldn't have Trump. I'll also place blame on Clinton and Bush (but considering we had Democrats for 16 years and Republicans for 8, they get most of the blame).

Keep in mind that I voted more times for Obama than I did Trump (1 vote to 0).

Some people are conflating their hardship of the 2008-2020 time to Obama, that's for sure. Just because he was President does not mean he caused the hardship. Correlation doe not imply causation.

When Obama walked into the Oval Office on January 2009, we were in the midst of the largest recession since GD (that Republican guy before him was in charge leading up to it).

The GFC might have more to do with people's hardships leading to vote for Trump than Obama. In the 1930s, there was a lot of radicalism in Europe and the U.S. due to the Great Depression. Similar story for 2008-now. Easier to blame Obama, I get it.

Do you really think Obama hit Wall St has hard as he should of? Or did all of the bankers contributing to his campaign help make sure that didn't happen?

I don't think this conversation belongs in this thread. So here's my last take on this:

- Your "bankers contributing to his campaign" is ridiculous and you know it--just because an employee at a big bank donates up to a few thousand dollars to a campaign does not mean someone is in the pocket of banks. Certainly not in the same ballpark as having people like Gary Cohn and Steve Mnuchin (Goldman alum) in charge of economic affairs...

- Wall Street was no fan of Obama, getting seriously butt hurt about him calling them "fat cats" early in his term in '09; There was also an occupy Wall St protest that occurred during his admin:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB126073152465089651

- The problem was that the time to be tough on Wall St was not after the crisis, but before it. Republicans GWB and Alan Greenspan believed in "financial innovation" and let Wall St run amuck in 2000s up to 2008 and when they left office, everything fell apart just in time for Obama to enter in January '09

- Obama could not aggressively attack Wall St during GFC because he needed the economy to recover and for that to happen, banks to lend again and people to have confidence in the banks again; I am not sure what you are proposing. Should he have nationalized the banks instead?

- I am not sure what the alternative to Obama that would have resulted in whatever you are after. Mr Bain Capital Mitt Romney? You think Mr. Private Equity would have helped the common man and taken on Wall St? How about Donaldo who makes Stevie Mnuchin/Gary Cohn (The Goldman guys) his leads on economic matters and cuts corporate taxes to the bone? Is he "taking on Wall St"???

- So tell me--how is the common man doing after 3 yrs of Trump? Donaldo is not here to help the common man, but he is quite adept at conning the common man. The common man seems to relish voting against his own interest.

Oh well, at least some people think they have their guy in the WH--I guess that's all that matters. I do acknowledge his talent for manipulating such people--he is quite skilled at it. I guess Obama was not manipulative enough to get people to think he was on their side. He was too "professorial" for their tastes (i.e. made them feel dumber). They need a POTUS that speaks/tweets on their level--too bad he won't give them actual economic results they desire.