Coronavirus

spartansaver

https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/25410/20200421/austria-90-drop-coronavirus-cases-requiring-people-wear-face-masks.htm

"Austria Has 90% Drop in Coronavirus Cases After Requiring People to Wear Face Masks"

If only the US could do the same rapidly and effectively and masks hadn't been politicized by imbeciles... Sad!

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

"If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.

Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing." -WHO still has this on their website.

Not my opinion to be clear.

Yeah, that was a lie (likely with the good intention of stopping a run on scarce PPE in the early days). Now do Trump’s lies instead of cherry picking. He’s in charge in the US, not the WHO. No other competent countries have been stopped by this.. because they’re trying to defeat the virus rather than look for others to blame.

If you are capable of being objective...you dont think the current state of politics, and especially the way Trump behaves towards folks he views as "the opposition" is in any way the result of literally everyone being out to bring him down? Guy fucks up a lot, but to most of the media and liberals, he cant do anything right. I remember specifically Ivanka announcing that they had agreed to some sort of program designed to help families with paid maternity leave and childcare... a good thing in any context, and both the media and all the Twitter mouthpieces responded like a bunch of mouth foaming retards with vitriol. Guy cant wish people Merry Christmas and even get a "you too" back from his critics. Its almost always a "fuck you" if not worse. So he gives it back and then some.

When you play a win at all costs game of politics, this is the result. Both parties are to blame, and the way Trump acts in many instances is obviously, how you have to play in order to defeat it. Romney was a gentlemen, and look what you guys did to him when he ran... it is indeed why Trump is a terrible leader during dire situations like this when everyone needs to be coming together, but at the same time, its the beast you guys created with the identity politics and half ass application of metoo and all that other nonsense. Romney probably doesnt look so bad now does he? And he could have been your 2016 Republican nominee, but, you guys rejected him 2012 cuz he travelled with his dog crate on the roof or something...

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are capable of being objective...you dont think the current state of politics, and especially the way Trump behaves towards folks he views as "the opposition" is in any way the result of literally everyone being out to bring him down? Guy fucks up a lot, but to most of the media and liberals, he cant do anything right. I remember specifically Ivanka announcing that they had agreed to some sort of program designed to help families with paid maternity leave and childcare... a good thing in any context, and both the media and all the Twitter mouthpieces responded like a bunch of mouth foaming retards with vitriol. Guy cant wish people Merry Christmas and even get a "you too" back from his critics. Its almost always a "fuck you" if not worse. So he gives it back and then some.

When you play a win at all costs game of politics, this is the result. Both parties are to blame, and the way Trump acts in many instances is obviously, how you have to play in order to defeat it. Romney was a gentlemen, and look what you guys did to him when he ran... it is indeed why Trump is a terrible leader during dire situations like this when everyone needs to be coming together, but at the same time, its the beast you guys created with the identity politics and half ass application of metoo and all that other nonsense. Romney probably doesnt look so bad now does he? And he could have been your 2016 Republican nominee, but, you guys rejected him 2012 cuz he travelled with his dog crate on the roof or something...

Cool story, dude.

Let's keep going! Now tell us why Xi Jinping, Vladimir Putin, and Kim Jong-un are persecuted and misunderstood, and how their actions are all the fault of that darn Liberal media.

Those arent democracies with an electoral process. I mean this is basically the exact same argument bleeding heart liberal Michael Moore made and warned Democrats about, and look what they even did to him lol.

Look at the playbook from McCain and Romney and then the gauntlet Trump had to run.

"not part of the establishment" - great way to win over blue collar voters!

"he's too rich" - Romney acted embarrassed and folded, Trump said, hell yea and flaunted his supposed wealth. One strategy worked, the other didn't

The multiple, well orchestrated media leaked "bombshells" - Others fold or spend valuable time defending themselves, Trump says fuck you, fake news. What worked?

This is the game you guys have created and its become ugly and win and all costs is the result. Like I said, you could have had a gentleman like Romney, but you chose instead to play identity politics and smear him, so you could "win". Now you've gotten a real monster who just plays the game better than your current candidate

The idiot Democrats hit the point of no return with Biden and Bernie. Can't turn back now on identity politics and "me too".

Biden and Dems screwed themselves. If they deep six Biden, they'll be stuck with the Commie Bernie. They really wanted

Andrew Cuomo as their savior - until it's apparent that he really fucked up NY by killing all the elderly packing them into

CV infested nursing homes.

The Democrats are their own worst enemy - almost like they are deliberately trying to hand the election to Trump.

And now Obama is being outed as the head of the criminal syndicate masquerading as US President.

Amazing with millions of people in the country and the Democrats can't find ONE HONEST or COMPETENT leader to run against Trump.

What a fucked up Party! It's like watching a Three Stooges film fest.

If they go with Bernie, they might get my vote. How many pictures of him hanging out with Epstein or Weinstein? How many women have accused him of sexual harassment/assault?

If Bernie did get it, I would have to vote Republicans on the rest of the ticket though. I think Bernie can be dangerous but might be decent if not given full power. I hate a lot of his polices but think he would be better for the middle class than Biden or Trump.

As it stands right now, totally not voting for Biden.

The idiot Democrats hit the point of no return with Biden and Bernie. Can't turn back now on identity politics and "me too".

Biden and Dems screwed themselves. If they deep six Biden, they'll be stuck with the Commie Bernie. They really wanted

Andrew Cuomo as their savior - until it's apparent that he really fucked up NY by killing all the elderly packing them into

The Democrats are their own worst enemy - almost like they are deliberately trying to hand the election to Trump.

And now Obama is being outed as the head of the criminal syndicate masquerading as US President.

Amazing with millions of people in the country and the Democrats can't find ONE HONEST or COMPETENT leader to run against Trump.

Saying these things does not make them true, but that's never stopped you faux conservatives from spewing lies.

BTW, you can consider it a smug little victory when I don't respond to your next bullshit troll post.

Saying these things does not make them true, but that's never stopped you faux conservatives from spewing lies.

BTW, you can consider it a smug little victory when I don't respond to your next bullshit troll post.

Sorry to burst your bubble DooDoo. Not my fault the party is in meltdown mode. Like 2016, when the Democrats had the

opportunity to win the EASIEST landslide victory of all time - they put up a terrible, horrible, unlikeable candidate in Hillary Clinton

and were shocked when they lost.

At least you won't be shocked this time, even after 4 years of trying to frame the current President. The Left never learns.

The arrogance of the party never ceases to amaze me.

COVID-19 death likely undercounted (Nate Silver):

https://twitter.com/abcpolitics/status/1262026365907410949?s=21

Likely not under**counted. NS is relying on excess mortality numbers but not adjusting downwards for traditional completeness estimates and not adjusting downwards (or upwards) for non-COVID death trends.

The former is more important. Recent weekly reports of excess mortality are adjusted upwards for incompleteness, by determined by the %s of reports completed in a certain time t, compared to prior time t-1. This method assumes that excess COVID deaths are prevalent in all incomplete geographies equally - which is most likely not the case.

"If you’re a thief, accuse your enemies of thievery. If corrupt, accuse your rivals of corruption. If a coward, accuse others of cowardice. Evidence is irrelevant; the goal is to dilute the truth and the case against you with “everyone does it”.

Trump’s unfounded attacks on others of the things he is demonstrably guilty of aren’t a mere projection. They are a tactic to lower the moral bar for all, to wave off his corruption and abuse as normal.

This has been the ploy of dictators for decades, to say that anyone accusing them of crimes is a hypocrite. Not to say they are good, but that we are all bad, that there is no good or evil, no truth, just power."

---

Others surely have written it better than I can express it, but I'll say it anyhow:  people don't just wake up one day and vote to turn democracy off, democracy is slowly dismantled from within, brick by brick, by useful idiots. 

"If you’re a thief, accuse your enemies of thievery. If corrupt, accuse your rivals of corruption. If a coward, accuse others of cowardice. Evidence is irrelevant; the goal is to dilute the truth and the case against you with “everyone does it”.

Trump’s unfounded attacks on others of the things he is demonstrably guilty of aren’t a mere projection. They are a tactic to lower the moral bar for all, to wave off his corruption and abuse as normal.

This has been the ploy of dictators for decades, to say that anyone accusing them of crimes is a hypocrite. Not to say they are good, but that we are all bad, that there is no good or evil, no truth, just power."

---

Others surely have written it better than I can express it, but I'll say it anyhow:  people don't just wake up one day and vote to turn democracy off, democracy is slowly dismantled from within, brick by brick, by useful idiots.

If this clown gets another 4 years, we are right & truly fucked.

https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/25410/20200421/austria-90-drop-coronavirus-cases-requiring-people-wear-face-masks.htm

"Austria Has 90% Drop in Coronavirus Cases After Requiring People to Wear Face Masks"

If only the US could do the same rapidly and effectively and masks hadn't been politicized by imbeciles... Sad!

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

"If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.

Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing." -WHO still has this on their website.

Yeah, that was a lie (likely with the good intention of stopping a run on scarce PPE in the early days). Now do Trump’s lies instead of cherry picking. He’s in charge in the US, not the WHO. No other competent countries have been stopped by this.. because they’re trying to defeat the virus rather than look for others to blame.

Did you forget the Surgeon Generals tweet "Seriously people - STOP BUYING MASKS!'.  That is actually surgeon general of USA, not WHO.

Even as recent as April 2nd Dr. Fauci was struggling to support using masks. (Dr. Fauci also works for US govt, not WHO)

https://www.facebook.com/cnn/videos/213806963020721/

But Japanese, Koreans, Taiwanese...etc started using masks from January.

I can understand if many people who were told for several months to not wear a mask and put in lockdown and suddenly told all you had to do is wear a mask might be little bit not convinced.

Likely not overcounted. NS is relying on excess mortality numbers but not adjusting downwards for traditional completeness estimates and not adjusting downwards (or upwards) for non-COVID death trends.

The former is more important. Recent weekly reports of excess mortality are adjusted upwards for incompleteness, by determined by the %s of reports completed in a certain time t, compared to prior time t-1. This method assumes that excess COVID deaths are prevalent in all incomplete geographies equally - which is most likely not the case.

Thanks, I know this is your area of expertise. These excess death numbers are not without issues either, but they serve as a good sanity check for the COVID-19 related death numbers . They revealed that the U.K. for example is undercounting (they admitted such pretty much), but Belgium (which has pretty bad looking numbers ) is over counting (since they count suspect cases as COVID-19 death).

---

False equivalence fallacy works wonders on the populace...you see it easily:

Hunter Biden nepotism! (While Jared & Ivanka run pandemic response)!

Biden has 1 accuser of assault! (Trump has over 25!)

Her emails! His birth certificate is fake! (We haven’t even seen Trump’s tax returns)

On the face of it, it’s pretty impressive how this guy’s antics work so well on some people all of the time. He surely has some great talents in manipulation...

And amusing to see the Grand Unified Theory of Trumpers:

“Trump’s incompetence is the fault of liberals/Obama! We wouldn’t have him if it weren’t for them! Forget the fact that I voted for and supported/support this guy!”

Or more generally,

The reason we have X is due to them liberals! I was never wrong! I take no responsibility!

Likely not overcounted. NS is relying on excess mortality numbers but not adjusting downwards for traditional completeness estimates and not adjusting downwards (or upwards) for non-COVID death trends.

Thanks, I know this is your area of expertise. These excess death numbers are not without issues either, but they serve as a good sanity check for the COVID-19 related death numbers . They revealed that the U.K. for example is undercounting (they admitted such pretty much), but Belgium (which has pretty bad looking numbers ) is over counting (since they count suspect cases as COVID-19 death).

Something else to think about re: excess deaths. Are deaths due to crime, auto accidents, Flu much lower than prev yrs? If so, deaths attributable to covid might be even greater than # excess deaths.

Some will say that is balanced by people dying early from other medical conditions that are being neglected in hard hit areas. It’s not clear, so excess deaths might be the best proxy.

Honestly, the best guess at this point is to keep the baseline untouched (addressing Dalal's post) and attribute all excess deaths to the coronavirus. This gets us to around 65k US deaths through April 25. And my guess would be about 75k deaths to-date although I haven't looked at the recent week numbers or reports.

Honestly I'm a bit burned out from all the coronavirus news, and thinking about the federal response is too disheartening.

Did you forget the Surgeon Generals tweet "Seriously people - STOP BUYING MASKS!'.  That is actually surgeon general of USA, not WHO.

Even as recent as April 2nd Dr. Fauci was struggling to support using masks. (Dr. Fauci also works for US govt, not WHO)

https://www.facebook.com/cnn/videos/213806963020721/

But Japanese, Koreans, Taiwanese...etc started using masks from January.

I can understand if many people who were told for several months to not wear a mask and put in lockdown and suddenly told all you had to do is wear a mask might be little bit not convinced.

Yeah, you're making my point. The US response has been incompetent, in good part because of the war on experts from the Trump admin and putting cronies in charge based on loyalty rather than competence, and not listening to the competent people or allowing them to run things (Fauci, etc) because the honcho can't share the spotlight or be contradicted or stay focused on anything long enough to understand it and follow through with a plan.

And everybody made early mistakes, the point is to correct them fast and copy from those that are doing well and have a plan that makes sense based on the best science and data, to use all tools at your disposal, to communicate clearly to the population with a unified message and not to politicize a health issue, etc. It's worth throwing the kitchen sink at it because the cost of he pandemic is so high that anything that shortens it or reduces intensity pays for itself a million times over, as Taiwan and South Kore and New Zealand and Honk Kong are finding out.

The US has been doing the opposite of all this, which is why 4% of world population had 30%+ of deaths and the curve hasn't been crushed, but rather is just slowly melting (and could restart after a few weeks of re-opening).

WTH is going on there?

The state of Georgia made it look like its covid cases were going down ***by putting the dates out of order on its chart*** May 5 was followed by April 25, then back to May again, whatever made it look like a downslope.

Gov. Brian Kemp’s office issued an apology after a Georgia Public Health Department chart wrongly reported a downward trend in #coronavirus cases. The error was at least the third in as many weeks

It is the liberals fault Trump is elected.

Clinton had NAFTA and increased trade with China. That gutted most of middle America. Then led to decreasing interest rates to stop the stock mark...err economy from collapsing.

This then elevated technology companies and stocks in general which helps CA and NY. The deficit and low interest rates help some states much, much more than others.

China also played a role in the fentanyl misery that affects those gutted parts.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/09/04/757089868/fentanyl-as-a-dark-web-profit-center-from-chinese-labs-to-u-s-streets

Obama had a great opportunity to punish Wall Street after the recession and failed miserably. Virtually no one was persecuted. He also failed miserably in combating fentanyl

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/fentanyl-epidemic-obama-administration/

So the liberals gut large parts of America and play identity politics. Now you have, as greg said, a real monster at the helm. There is also a decent likelihood that he'll be re-elected.

The liberals made their bed. Now it's time to sleep in it.

Clinton had NAFTA and increased trade with China. That gutted most of middle America. Then led to decreasing interest rates to stop the stock mark...err economy from collapsing.

This then elevated technology companies and stocks in general which helps CA and NY. The deficit and low interest rates help some states much, much more than others.

China also played a role in the fentanyl misery that affects those gutted parts.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/09/04/757089868/fentanyl-as-a-dark-web-profit-center-from-chinese-labs-to-u-s-streets

Obama had a great opportunity to punish Wall Street after the recession and failed miserably. Virtually no one was persecuted. He also failed miserably in combating fentanyl

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/fentanyl-epidemic-obama-administration/

So the liberals gut large parts of America and play identity politics. Now you have, as greg said, a real monster at the helm. There is also a decent likelihood that he'll be re-elected.

Grand Unified Theory in action. Note how the entire GWB administration with GOP in control of Congress for much of it is left out of history (8 years)...

Another personal reminder for me to avoid the General Discussion thread as much as possible. Kicking myself for posting here this AM...carry on with the high quality analysis.

WTH is going on there?

The state of Georgia made it look like its covid cases were going down ***by putting the dates out of order on its chart*** May 5 was followed by April 25, then back to May again, whatever made it look like a downslope.

Gov. Brian Kemp’s office issued an apology after a Georgia Public Health Department chart wrongly reported a downward trend in #coronavirus cases. The error was at least the third in as many weeks

It's a test.

When we stop noticing the lies and stupidity, the GOP can make their big move.

The pandemic has provided the perfect setup for grifters to step up.

Plenty of sheeple bleating to be shorn.

---

Make Authoritarianism Great Again

Clinton had NAFTA and increased trade with China. That gutted most of middle America.

"He's talked about pulling out of NAFTA -- Reagan had the idea for NAFTA," says Irwin, the former Reagan staffer.

https://money.cnn.com/2016/07/27/news/economy/donald-trump-ronald-reagan-trade-japan/index.html

"The NAFTA win is a great victory for free trade conservatives. It was they who first championed the notion of free trade with Mexico. "

https://www.heritage.org/trade/report/the-north-american-free-trade-agreement-ronald-reagans-vision-realized

Then led to decreasing interest rates to stop the stock mark...err economy from collapsing.

President Bush:  Higher?  Or cut further?

This then elevated technology companies and stocks in general which helps CA and NY.

You didn't mention Reagan's 100% tariff on Japanese computers.

What the heck does low interest rates have to do with Microsoft, Facebook, and Google?  They don't borrow a low of money.  I would think rust-belt high-capital industries would be benefitted by low interest rates.  And I would think the home building and remodeling boom gave jobs to the blue collar guys in the construction industry.  Anyways, look at the tech expansion in Texas and N.C.

The deficit and low interest rates help some states much, much more than others.

The deficit helps the red states collect their entitlements.

Obama had a great opportunity to punish Wall Street after the recession and failed miserably. Virtually no one was persecuted.

Legislators and regulators of Wall Street were to blame, not Wall Street.  Barney Frank, for example, is to blame (among others).  The ones pointing the fingers are not blameless..

No doubt - and to think these clowns had 4 years to put up a reasonable candidate out of millions of democrats.

They come up with a string of losers while dividing the country.

Nothing like handing the election to Trump again - only this time - they will have to blame themselves, not the god awful, despicable Hillary Clinton or the Russians.

Nice job by the savior of the Democratic Party, Andrew Cuomo - oops, looks like he really fucked up - back to Joe Biden or Bernie for you liberals:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/ny-health-dept-admits-to-undercounting-nursing-home-deaths-as-cuomo-scandal-worsens

Democrat-controlled New York has reportedly admitted to knowingly undercounting the number of deaths suffered in nursing homes from the coronavirus after the facilities were devastated by Democrat Governor Andrew Cuomo’s policy that forced them to take patients who were infected with the virus.

“Of the nine states with the largest coronavirus outbreaks at long-term care facilities, according to a New York Times tracker, New York is the only state that omits the deaths of residents who died at hospitals from its reporting,” the DCNF added. “New York ceased reporting deaths of long-term care residents who died in hospitals the same day it unveiled 1,700 previously undisclosed deaths that occurred on the grounds of long-term care facilities from residents presumed to have coronavirus.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/18/havens-dr-atul-gawande-coronavirus-spread-can-be-slowed-if-60percent-of-people-wear-masks.html

Dr. Atul Gawande told CNBC on Monday that people must take seriously the responsibility of wearing a face mask to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

“If we can get over 60% of us wearing masks that are 60% effective ... we can shut down the virus,” Gawande said on “Squawk Box.”