Coronavirus

spartansaver

Singapore continues to have exceptionally low mortality (1/1000 of confirmed cases). This could be due to:

1) Recent rise in infections (deaths could surge in the coming weeks)

2) Aggressive testing (leading to large # of confirmed cases), contact tracing (limiting spread to vulnerable groups)

Or, more optimistically:

3) Protection in the host in humid/warm (tropical) climates due to factors such as enhanced innate immune protection of lung--which has been shown with Influenza:

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/22/10905

If #3 is true, one would hope for a drop in mortality during the summer months in the Northern Hemisphere. Also if true, perhaps this would be the ideal time to catch it and (hopefully) develop immunity. This is all speculation at this point.

What does the demographic distribution of Singapore's confirmed cases look like?

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that large scale nursing homes are less common in East/Southeast Asian countries. It's customary for sons/daughters to live together with elderly parents and take care of them. Might explain the lower death rates in Singapore, Japan, and South Korea.

I'm pretty sure that large scale nursing homes are less common in East/Southeast Asian countries. It's customary for sons/daughters to live together with elderly parents and take care of them. Might explain the lower death rates in Singapore, Japan, and South Korea.

Sons/daughters living with elders could make things worse. This was one of the theories as to why Italy had such a bad outbreak--elderly in frequent, close contact with younger relatives.

Sons/daughters living with elders could make things worse. This was one of the theories as to why Italy had such a bad outbreak--elderly in frequent, close contact with younger relatives.

Massive outbreaks at nursing homes are less likely, though. In many countries, the majority of deaths occurred in nursing homes and long-term care facilities.

According to some articles, the migrant workers who live together in Singapore got high infection rate, who are young and healthy.

The government was able to protect old and vulnerable and low infection rates in older people.

Together they had high infection rate with low deaths - low fatality rate.

This argues against closing colleges and sending college students back home from dorms.

It will be interesting to see the antibody tests in SE asian country by age vs Europe/US.

The video's amusing, but clearly propaganda. Both the CCP and Trump screwed up, and spinning it as entirely a USA problem is pretty ridiculous.

The thing is, because of polarized politics in the USA, a significant number of Americans may support this propaganda.

Putin certainly got his money's worth.

The video's amusing, but clearly propaganda. Both the CCP and Trump screwed up, and spinning it as entirely a USA problem is pretty ridiculous.

The thing is, because of polarized politics in the USA, a significant number of Americans may support this propaganda.

Putin certainly got his money's worth.

Spot on RG.

According to some articles, the migrant workers who live together in Singapore got high infection rate, who are young and healthy.

yes, it's this.  the cases are also recent and mortality will go up, but the large majority of cases in their recent outbreak are migrant workers who are significantly younger than the population at large.  it makes a big difference.

i believe the age structure of those infected also explains most of the low mortality in iceland.

Pence: ‘I should have worn a mask at the Mayo Clinic’

“I didn't think it was necessary, but I should have worn a mask at the Mayo Clinic and I wore it when I visited the ventilator plant in Indiana” two days later, Pence said at a Fox News virtual town hall on Sunday, nodding sheepishly.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/03/pence-should-have-worn-mask-mayo-clinic-233360

Wow, a non-sociopath reaction. We’re not used to that.

Very unusual.

My ex-wife was raised by politicians and from a young age she was coached by her father to "admit nothing, deny everything, and never put anything in writing".  This raises a child who cannot take responsibility.  I think it's common in a lot of these powerful families and nurtures narcissism and sociopathy.

Very unusual.

My ex-wife was raised by politicians and from a young age she was coached by her father to "admit nothing, deny everything, and never put anything in writing".  This raises a child who cannot take responsibility.  I think it's common in a lot of these powerful families and nurtures narcissism and sociopathy.

Meanwhile Trump is talking about how unfair this whole situation is to him and how badly he's being treated in front of the Lincoln monument...

EXIRScsXsAAKPBD?format=jpg&name=large

Very unusual.

Meanwhile Trump is talking about how unfair this whole situation is to him and how badly he's being treated in front of the Lincoln monument...

Everyone is concerned about him suffering.

Very unusual.

The sun king imagines a grander monument to his royal self.

I predict that he will propose ramrod one during the last days of his presidency,

and it won't be no stinkin' library either.

I'd say almost all presidents are super egocentric. Trump may or may not be worse...but he's certainly worse at hiding it.

I'd say almost all presidents are super egocentric. Trump may or may not be worse...but he's certainly worse at hiding it.

Well, you have to have a pretty big ego to even run for president, that's not in question.

But Trump is a different species.