Coronavirus

spartansaver

I do credit Trump, whether for right reasons or not, that he is the only president to address the threat of China and the threat it is posing.

He talks a good game on China, but his record is very weak. If you really wanted to be tough on China, you would not be isolationist. The USA shifting to isolationism creates a void for China to fill.

For example, he is complaining about the WHO and Chinese influence on the WHO. China's influence on the WHO has undoubtedly increased during Trump's reign because of the Trump administration pulling back. So when he is surprised at the new degree of influence of China on the WHO, his solution is to de-fund them further reducing the US influence.

It's going to be rich when he quits funding NATO or the UN and then complains about other countries having more influence.

Similarly, several smaller countries including middle eastern countries have relied on the US CDC in situation like this in the past. They have publicly said that the US CDC's message has been so confused that they are no longer relying on the US and that it has been suggested that the Chinese CDC might be the best option for them instead.

Someone needs to tell Trump to lead, follow, or get out of the way. In the case of Coronavirus, he is doing more harm than good and is wasting years of goodwill, influence and trust that the USA had built up.

He has a BA in economics?

There's no way this clown didn't pay someone to do assignments for him.

Can you picture him writing even a little 500 word essay, on anything?

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"He has a BA in economics?

Can you picture him writing even a little 500 word essay, on anything?"

Coincidentely, back a while ago Trump sent letters to his former schools threatening legal action if any of his marks were released. I think we might guess why.

That is not the context.  That is the WHO statement on April 2nd :

"There are few reports of laboratory-confirmed cases who are truly asymptomatic"

Here is a pre-print journal article that helps give some more context on why that WHO quote is accurate:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/8/20-1274_article

In this outbreak in SK, only 4% of COVID-positive patients were "truly asymptomatic". And they were only laboratory-confirmed as part of an aggressive test-and-trace regime. In most countries where testing is rationed, the number of laboratory-confirmed cases who are truly asymptomatic is probably a rounding error.

Likely you are confusing presymptomatic with asymptomatic. Which is understandable since you are a layperson. But don't blame the experts for your lack of knowledge!

https://www.statnews.com/2017/05/23/donald-trump-speaking-style-interviews/

He used to sound (speak) a lot smarter (read attached article for proof). 

It's either:

• an intentional change (appeal to lowest common denominator with plain speech)
  • or he has dementia
  • or he has a brain-eating parasite.

Or perhaps a combo of all three.

Trump Tweet:

Thank you to Rachel @Maddow for putting our Military on full display, and showing how GREAT a job the Federal Government is doing! Also, a special thanks to General Semonite, a Patriot of the highest order and a truly talented engineer and builder!

Maddow responded :

Hi, Mr. President -- thanks for tweeting that interview. Gen. Semonite and the Army Corps are indeed doing great work, but at nowhere near the scale that is needed.

We're hundreds of thousands of hospital beds behind, months behind schedule, and...

...we're about to see the number of sick patients surge and hospitals overflow in multiple US sites at once.

This is not an NYC problem or even just a city problem. The apex patient surges will not happen tidily, one after the other, they'll flare up all over, overlapping.

Mr. President, with all the heroism and good work we're seeing from Americans around the country, you personally are leading the worst national response of any industrialized nation in the world, in what is now the largest COVID-19 outbreak on earth.

I say this without any malice at all, but please know that the US response is a catastrophe that is on track to cost hundreds of thousands of lives.

Stop talking about yourself and hyping unproven treatments and demanding people compliment you and all the rest of the nonsense.

(1) Nationalize the supply chains for critical medical supplies -- you should have done that months ago. Fifty states fending for themselves is idiotic, but it persists day after day, week after week. You can fix this now.

(2) Get people like VP Pence and your son-in-law out of the way and bring in actual, experienced pandemic response experts and scientists to lead the response and brief the nation.

(3) Some Governors are following your zig-zagging and dithering lead and refusing even now to institute clear stay at home orders to slow the spread of the virus -- tell them unequivocally to change course, now.

(4) Prisons, jails, detention centers will be death traps for prisoners/detainees and staff. They'll also become leaking reservoirs of infection for every community -- order emergency decarceral measures, now, before it spreads wildly everywhere people are kept behind bars.

(5) We're going to need mass testing, a massive effort to isolate those with the virus (separate and apart from uninfected people staying home), a huge data-driven contact tracing effort, and a wartime-level mobilization of health workers and people to support them.

You're failing to do any of that. Any of it. Any of it. You're failing on every measure, and it is worse by the day. Find experts who can do this for the country and please, sir, get out of the way.

Thank you again for tweeting that interview. 

Trump Tweet:

Thank you to Rachel @Maddow for putting our Military on full display, and showing how GREAT a job the Federal Government is doing! Also, a special thanks to General Semonite, a Patriot of the highest order and a truly talented engineer and builder!

Maddow responded :

Hi, Mr. President -- thanks for tweeting that interview. Gen. Semonite and the Army Corps are indeed doing great work, but at nowhere near the scale that is needed.

We're hundreds of thousands of hospital beds behind, months behind schedule, and...

...we're about to see the number of sick patients surge and hospitals overflow in multiple US sites at once.

This is not an NYC problem or even just a city problem. The apex patient surges will not happen tidily, one after the other, they'll flare up all over, overlapping.

Mr. President, with all the heroism and good work we're seeing from Americans around the country, you personally are leading the worst national response of any industrialized nation in the world, in what is now the largest COVID-19 outbreak on earth.

I say this without any malice at all, but please know that the US response is a catastrophe that is on track to cost hundreds of thousands of lives.

Stop talking about yourself and hyping unproven treatments and demanding people compliment you and all the rest of the nonsense.

(1) Nationalize the supply chains for critical medical supplies -- you should have done that months ago. Fifty states fending for themselves is idiotic, but it persists day after day, week after week. You can fix this now.

(2) Get people like VP Pence and your son-in-law out of the way and bring in actual, experienced pandemic response experts and scientists to lead the response and brief the nation.

(3) Some Governors are following your zig-zagging and dithering lead and refusing even now to institute clear stay at home orders to slow the spread of the virus -- tell them unequivocally to change course, now.

(4) Prisons, jails, detention centers will be death traps for prisoners/detainees and staff. They'll also become leaking reservoirs of infection for every community -- order emergency decarceral measures, now, before it spreads wildly everywhere people are kept behind bars.

(5) We're going to need mass testing, a massive effort to isolate those with the virus (separate and apart from uninfected people staying home), a huge data-driven contact tracing effort, and a wartime-level mobilization of health workers and people to support them.

You're failing to do any of that. Any of it. Any of it. You're failing on every measure, and it is worse by the day. Find experts who can do this for the country and please, sir, get out of the way.

Thank you again for tweeting that interview.

You left out the last part...

"Sincerely,

Rachel Maddow

P.S. Dont be fooled that I look like a middle school boy, or that I appear to be a television personality. I am actually a world renowned epidemiologist and pandemic expert, not just another loudmouth liberal pretending to be something I am not on Twitter."

It's either:

• or he has dementia

He's unfit.

It's either:

• or he has dementia

He's unfit.

I gotta say, it’s pretty impressive how many ways he’s suggested that people kill themselves.

That is not the context.  That is the WHO statement on April 2nd :

"There are few reports of laboratory-confirmed cases who are truly asymptomatic"

Here is a pre-print journal article that helps give some more context on why that WHO quote is accurate:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/8/20-1274_article

In this outbreak in SK, only 4% of COVID-positive patients were "truly asymptomatic". And they were only laboratory-confirmed as part of an aggressive test-and-trace regime. In most countries where testing is rationed, the number of laboratory-confirmed cases who are truly asymptomatic is probably a rounding error.

Likely you are confusing presymptomatic with asymptomatic. Which is understandable since you are a layperson. But don't blame the experts for your lack of knowledge!

IF CDC is still claiming only 4% are asymptomatic, they are completely wrong.

Symptomatic patients were being aggressively tested in NY.  Yet we got 10 fold infections in antibody test than in the so called "confirmed cases" suggesting a vast majority of asymptomatic infections.

In NY pregnant women study 15% tested positive with 14% without symptoms (about 90% asymptomatic).

In Boston homeless 146 out of 146 were without symptoms.

In Iceland studies showed 50% asymptomatic when they randomly tested.

In todays news April 24th.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/24/us/2-asymptomatic-coronavirus-studies/index.html

Two coronavirus studies released Friday -- one involving almost 2,000 people from Florida and the other from a Washington state nursing home -- came to the same conclusion: Many of the people who tested positive for the virus didn't know it they had it because they showed no symptoms.

The findings add to a growing body of evidence suggesting that people who don't feel sick are contributing to the spread of the deadly virus that has swept the world.

US is figuring this out now.

Japan and Korea were worried about it latest by January 27th:

Both countries have tightened border controls and quarantine checkpoints to screen passengers, although the fact that carriers of the virus may not show detectable symptoms has been a major cause of concern.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/masks-out-as-japan-s-korea-report-new-cases

That illustrates my complaint against the US experts and WHO.  Why are they figuring out now which Japan & Korea knew at least as of January 27th?

Trump and Biden are both unfit imo.

Yep.

Yep & yep.

Our choices are abominable but I'd vote for a warm turd running against Trump.

False equivalence fallacy (equivalent to "both sides are bad!") here...

Anyone with a moral compass capable of putting something else above self interest would be preferable to what we have now. Biden and most other non-sociopathic humans have him beat by miles. Rather have a President who stutters than one who recommends bleach injections.

Yep.

Yep & yep.

Anyone with a moral compass capable of putting something else above self interest would be preferable to what we have now. Biden and most other non-sociopathic humans have him beat by miles. Rather have a President who stutters than one who recommends bleach injections.

When did he recommend injecting bleach?  Can you show me in the transcript?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-nw-trump-white-house-sunlight-heat-fight-virus-20200424-7dnhtyxltvdazkp24mybuefmou-story.html

Symptomatic patients were being aggressively tested in NY.  Yet we got 10 fold infections in antibody test than in the so called "confirmed cases" suggesting a vast majority of asymptomatic infections.

I won't go through all the reasons why you are wrong, but this is a pretty blatant falsehood. They weren't even able to test all the dying and dead in NY, let alone test people who had mild symptoms.

Yep.

Yep & yep.

When did he recommend injecting bleach?  Can you show me in the transcript?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-nw-trump-white-house-sunlight-heat-fight-virus-20200424-7dnhtyxltvdazkp24mybuefmou-story.html

OK..I will answer the question myself.  Here is the transcript. Bleach/disinfectant from President came up twice

President:

I see disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute, and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that. So you’re going to have to use medical doctors, but it sounds interesting to me. So, we’ll see. But the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute, that’s pretty powerful."

Second time when explicitly asked about injecting bleach:

Q    But I — just, can I ask about — the President mentioned the idea of cleaners, like bleach and isopropyl alcohol you mentioned.  There’s no scenario that that could be injected into a person, is there?  I mean —

ACTING UNDER SECRETARY BRYAN:  No, I’m here to talk about the findings that we had in the study.  We won’t do that within that lab and our lab.  So —

THE PRESIDENT:  It wouldn’t be through injection.  We’re talking about through almost a cleaning, sterilization of an area.  Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t work.  But it certainly has a big effect if it’s on a stationary object.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-vice-president-pence-members-coronavirus-task-force-press-briefing-31/

OK..I will answer the question myself.  Here is the transcript. Bleach/disinfectant from President came up twice

President:

I see disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute, and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning.

Funny how you failed to bold by injection inside.

President:

I see disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute, and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning.

Typical of Trumpty's base.

They own themselves & then ignore the fact.

President:

Typical of Trumpty's base.

They own themselves & then ignore the fact.

Because that would be unfair.  If I had to bold, I had to bold

"by injection inside, or almost a cleaning"

But then he clarified "It wouldn’t be through injection. "

But then the overall statement was Trump was addressing the scientist. Trump turned to scientist and said

" is there a way we can do something like that"

It was a question to the scientst.

My own impression after listening to the briefing was Trump was talking about killing the virus in lungs by use of UV light or a disinfectant by direct exposure in lungs.  He was asking the scientist is there a way we can do something like that.

He clarified upon the question from reporter.... It wouldn’t be through injection.  We’re talking about through almost a cleaning, sterilization of an area.  Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t work.

Treating lung cancers using optical fibers (photodynamic therapy) or Lung wash are established treatments.  Does it work like that with antiviral and UV light in lungs?  I dont know.  But I feel its a lie to say he recommended bleach injection when he clearly said "It wouldn’t be through injection.  We’re talking about through almost a cleaning"

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/how-lung-washing-helps-patients-breathe-again-video/

How ‘Lung Washing’ Helps You Breathe Again

I won't go through all the reasons why you are wrong, but this is a pretty blatant falsehood. They weren't even able to test all the dying and dead in NY, let alone test people who had mild symptoms.

Its not a falsehood.  The NY antibody testing was done in stores and shops. 

Not many symptomatic people are going to shops and stores these days.

Almost all the sample for NY antibody is asymptomatic volunteers.

Even after selecting almost entirely healthy volunteers, they got 20% exposed to Covid.

Also yep. Biden will have a team around him that will be effective even as he struggles mentally, while Trump doesn't.