Biggest regrets of the older posters here?

yadayada

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COVID tests are/were weird. Anecdotal nonsense: I recall getting exposed - testing 2 days later (negative) - developing symptoms over the next 3 days (negative test) - clearing symptoms and testing positive 2 days after having zero symptoms. 

2 hours ago, DooDiligence said:

Not starting yoga and calisthenics 20 years ago. It's all good now but it might have been better.

For a long time I wished I'd wrestled in Middle and High School.

Seeing how friends who did now suffer with bad knees and shoulders, I'm pretty happy I did not.

On 7/21/2024 at 10:53 PM, Dinar said:

How did you manage to avoid it for nearly four years?  I must have gotten it three times. 

Work at home, rarely date or leave house. Did do a lot of hot yoga last couple years so surprised that wasn’t the vector, but it turns out a week of playing poker in LA with a melting pot of ethnicities till 4 am every night left my body unable to defend itself any longer. 

On 7/21/2024 at 7:44 PM, ValueArb said:

Thank god I got back in shape the last year. Just had COVID for the first time and it was brutal. There were a couple times I struggled breathing, can’t imagine what it would have been like before I lost 35 lbs. 

oof.  Good to hear you got through it.  Stay healthy!  Remember your body is really the only thing you own.

On 6/5/2024 at 9:44 AM, ValueArb said:

The mental side of working out is just as important as the actual physical side. I wanted to get back to lifting forever, had a paid gym membership for years at a very nice club 5 minutes away and always had time to go, but never went and made excuses. I didn't like the atmosphere, ie some of the people there, I was hungry, my arm hurt, I didn't have enough time, etc. 

What was holding me back was me. It was far too easy to make excuses. I realized in the past I always had a workout partner so that i had to show up, but now my friends have moved away and I was trying to do it myself. So if you have someone (even your partner) who is also motivated to do similar things, make a commitment to them and make them commit to you, and you'll be way more consistent. And working out is all about consistency, if you keep doing it for years on end you'll end up having great results. I couldn't find a workout partner myself and was considering paying for a personal trainer to force me to lift consistently but they are so expensive!

Then one night scrolling youtube I came across a video of a hilariously foul mouthed exercise scientist criticizing a video of the actress who plays Captain Marvel being trained for the role. He walked through why certain exercises were demonstrated to be effective, and others, far less so from actual exercise science studies. It got me hooked and I watched a bunch of his videos and learned a great deal.

https://www.youtube.com/@RenaissancePeriodization/videos

First, I solved my consistency problem by signing up for their app, where it generates workout routines for me so every day I know what I need to do in the weight-room and thats been all the motivation I need to get to the gym. Its $35/month but thats way cheaper than a personal trainer and I have a lot more confidence in the apps advice than a random red shirted kid the gym would give me. 

Secondly, you don't have to buy a membership,  RP's youtube videos teach good core concepts for how to build muscle as quickly, safely and as time efficiently as possible. Don't be put off by the fact RP's coaches are all professional body builders, the goals are the same. Increase/maintain muscle mass (hypertrophy) with as little time in the gym or working out as possible. In general, they will advise you to use less weight, keep reps in the 5-30 range, lift smoothly and don't drop or jerk the weights, use full range of motion to stretch and keep the muscle under tension longer, and use negative resistance to maximize the hypertrophy effect. 

For example, for bicep curls you want to lift the weight up as far as possible until you practically can touch your shoulders, then slowly lower it down until your arm is entirely straight at the bottom, and repeat. Think about the muscle being under tension through that entire range of motion. My gym is full of lifters trying to lift ridiculous amounts, so heavy they can only do a fraction of the movement, which forces them to spend hours doing way more reps and sets to get the same results. Yesterday I saw an old couple doing exercises they had been probably assigned by a personal trainer, and on the preacher curl they'd only move a few inches. They looked miserable, and I knew their results were going to be limited and their time wasted.

You don't need heavy weights to get jacked. Pushups and a couple dumbells for sets of 10-30 curls, shoulder presses, etc will work great if you just focus on good form, full range of motion and slowly lowering to really work the muscle.

Dr M is very knowledgeable but he clearly prioritizes only hypertrophy.  He doesn't seem to care about much else, so you should watch his videos with that caveat.  I prefer others like Athlean X, knees over toes guy, Peter Attia, even Bryan Johnson has a good workout.  Also the abs over 50 guys are good for us older folks ha ha.  Must.. prioritize... NOT getting injured...  Injuries knock out muscle mass way too quickly...

20 minutes ago, bargainman said:

Dr M is very knowledgeable but he clearly prioritizes only hypertrophy.  He doesn't seem to care about much else, so you should watch his videos with that caveat.  I prefer others like Athlean X, knees over toes guy, Peter Attia, even Bryan Johnson has a good workout.  Also the abs over 50 guys are good for us older folks ha ha.  Must.. prioritize... NOT getting injured...  Injuries knock out muscle mass way too quickly...

Yea, just watched Dr Mike's review of a Knees Over Toes guys video and he really liked what he heard. In specifics, Mike talked about how KOTG's advice was great for injury prevention.

I also have never gotten covid. In fact I cannot remember the last time I had a cold, but it was well before covid.

I'm also around 20ish-year olds all the time teaching. Of course for about a year I wasn't around students as we were forced on-line and after that to wear masks for probably another year.

23 hours ago, cubsfan said:

That is amazing you have never had covid being in a college environment.

You must be bionic!

It must be from working out all the time!

Edit: Plus getting the covid vaccine and the boosters.

Edited by boilermaker75

17 hours ago, Cod Liver Oil said:

Knees Over Toes (Ben Patrick) is 11. Most of his stuff is free on YT. He will get you fit, strong and mobile with no injuries. 

Just start slow and stretch.  I overdid the eccentric downhill stepdown type movements and paid for it for months.