Buffett/Berkshire - general news

3 minutes ago, Hektor said:

https://www.wsj.com/finance/warren-buffett-gives-us-a-preview-of-his-will-419ad46d

Warren Buffett, who owns nearly $130 billion in Berkshire Hathaway stock, will direct his fortune into a new charitable trust overseen by his children.

In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, Buffett—the chairman and chief executive of Berkshire Hathaway said that after his death nearly all of his remaining wealth will go to a new charitable trust overseen by his daughter and two sons.

The legendary investor also made clear his giving to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, to which he has donated billions, will come to an end.  “The Gates Foundation has no money coming after my death,” Buffett said.

I’m not surprised. I guess Warren changed his mind on what he thinks of Bill…

11 hours ago, longlake95 said:

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Trust is receiving Class B shares worth about $4 billion as of Thursday’s closing price, while the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation is receiving about $400 million.

Don't you love "journalism"?

Tell the whole story WSJ. I'm paying for it. 

Edited by Eng12345

From what I recall Buffett believed more in Melinda gates for the philanthropy than Bill Gates. With her gone it makes sense that he doesn’t want to give the rest of his money to the Bill and Melinda gates foundation. Also his kids can probably handle it better now than they would have been able to almost 20 years ago. 

Its all in the letters written in 2006, 2012, and 2021.  You don't need to have a reported parrot it back to you for a fee, just read what's already there.  One of the conditions of Mr. Buffett's "irrevocable" gift to Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMG) was 1 of them is actively involved.  So when BMG broke up because of divorce, and Melinda started her own foundation, this change was inevitable.  Maybe one of the reasons why Gates marriage took as long as it did to break up, because of Mr. Buffett's pledge?  (Pure speculation)  

This just further shows how much thought and consideration of the future Mr. Buffett puts into his actions.  His actions had huge implications with simple instructions.  This is the model I strive for every day.  Simple to understand and well thought through to the end.  Its a work of art.  

LETTERS

https://www.berkshirehathaway.com/donate/webdonat.html

FORTUNE ARTICLE ATTACHED

fortune071006.pdf

On 6/28/2024 at 8:34 AM, longlake95 said:

It's crazy how much they raved about each other and Warren backpedalling from Bill like he and David Sokol.

14 hours ago, longterminvestor said:

Its all in the letters written in 2006, 2012, and 2021.  You don't need to have a reported parrot it back to you for a fee, just read what's already there.  One of the conditions of Mr. Buffett's "irrevocable" gift to Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMG) was 1 of them is actively involved.  So when BMG broke up because of divorce, and Melinda started her own foundation, this change was inevitable.  Maybe one of the reasons why Gates marriage took as long as it did to break up, because of Mr. Buffett's pledge?  (Pure speculation)  

This just further shows how much thought and consideration of the future Mr. Buffett puts into his actions.  His actions had huge implications with simple instructions.  This is the model I strive for every day.  Simple to understand and well thought through to the end.  Its a work of art.  

LETTERS

https://www.berkshirehathaway.com/donate/webdonat.html

FORTUNE ARTICLE ATTACHED

fortune071006.pdf 6.95 MB · 14 downloads

Related to the above very nice post by @longterminvestor, source LinkedIn, June 29th 2024 :

image.thumb.png.9f9e44837b2e708a54acac9b6ff9e64f.png

Edited by John Hjorth