Buffett/Berkshire - general news

5 hours ago, KPO said:

This is kind of an interesting article:  https://www.cnbc.com/2024/05/31/warren-buffett-worried-about-huge-losses-in-booming-insurance-market.html

To the extent Berkshire desires exposure to cyber coverage I think I’d prefer it be through minority holdings, like Chubb and/or AIG.

It's an interesting market but it's hard to put bounds (especially upper bounds, of the aggregating type) concerning future development.

The market has hardened in a very unusual way, attracting a lot of capital but the market has softened ++ (price and contract terms) so who knows (with accuracy)?

cyber1.thumb.png.5607f828e23be9c82be424c672a40f85.png

Early to tell and maybe not significant but (anecdotally) there have been people around me (personal and commercial) who had to deal with security breaches (privacy violations and ransomware) with varying levels of consequences and for those who follow these developments, some ransomware activity appears to be on the rise:

cyber2.thumb.png.b04bbd19075b4b71553fae76060d0ef0.png

cyber3.thumb.png.1fc31eee1b095321b3ea96a7fbd498f8.png

28 minutes ago, aws said:

Looks like over 3k volume too. Someone's algorithm made a $2b mistake? Better not be Citi again

There wasn't 3k of volume at the 185.10 price.  There wasn't really 3k of volume at all, since most 1 share volumes reported on A-shares are actually tiny fractional share purchases.  The stock is halted for the glitch and no shares will actually be transacted at 185.10

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, gfp said:

There wasn't 3k of volume at the 185.10 price.  There wasn't really 3k of volume at all, since most 1 share volumes reported on A-shares are actually tiny fractional share purchases.  The stock is halted for the glitch and no shares will actually be transacted at 185.10

I'm aware of that dynamic and I'm sure some trades will get busted, but it wouldn't be the first time large trade volumes went through at erroneous prices. On the flip side, the snap back to a real value is biting some not so savvy people who placed market orders during the halt. The top trade was 742k when fair value was more like 630k. I have no idea how many are full shares, but I've seen at least one screenshot of a market order fill for 648k a share by a guy who had nowhere near that amount in his account, but his broker allowed the trade. 

Edited by aws

https://www.oxy.com/news/news-releases/occidental-and-bhe-renewables-form-joint-venture-to-commercialize-terralithium-extraction-technology/

For those that haven’t made the trip to the Salton Sea, it’s a wild and interesting place that happens to have on the order of 100 years of potential lithium supply for North America. This is a somewhat hidden Berkshire asset. If all goes well and lithium continues to be the long term source of EV energy that it is today, this could move the needle for Berkshire. 

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, scorpioncapital said:

This is rather insane. I hope it gets reversed by some clear headed judges. Are you aware of any other country that would have such a news item come up for a car insurance? In every country on Earth they'd laugh you out of the court-room, both the judges and the government.

It got thrown out by the initial trial judge; this is an appeal of that initial ruling, so you're hoping it's not reversed. (IANAL but I presume that the fact that the district court judge didn't buy it is a good sign that GEICO's contract is not so sloppily written.)