Buffett/Berkshire - general news

These charts of Japanese investments have very good technicals (half-pretending I know what that is). Unlike charts of rice futures from Osaka exchange. 

good job Omaha !!

Just wished it was a tad larger. And not just “keeping-yourself-out-of-the-bar” right-sized.  

image.thumb.png.fc72e8b0a102305003ebc190e164cfd7.png

Has anyone investigated the recent surge in Class A share trading volume? Could this be attributed to the rise in fractional share trading?

User @aws figured out a year ago that the increase beginning in 2021 was due to Robinhood fractional shares a month before the WSJ reported on it (Robinhood Was Behind Phantom Surge in Berkshire Hathaway Trade Volume, Study Finds - WSJ). It doesn't seem like retail fractional share trading would be more than triple the activity during 2021. 

Additionally, trading volume has been 36% higher on Mondays than the rest of the week so far in 2023. This trend seems to have been around since 2020, albeit to a lesser extent. I doubt the items are correlated but it seems like another odd trend.

3 hours ago, BiggieCheese said:

image.thumb.png.fc72e8b0a102305003ebc190e164cfd7.png

Has anyone investigated the recent surge in Class A share trading volume? Could this be attributed to the rise in fractional share trading?

User @aws figured out a year ago that the increase beginning in 2021 was due to Robinhood fractional shares a month before the WSJ reported on it (Robinhood Was Behind Phantom Surge in Berkshire Hathaway Trade Volume, Study Finds - WSJ). It doesn't seem like retail fractional share trading would be more than triple the activity during 2021. 

Additionally, trading volume has been 36% higher on Mondays than the rest of the week so far in 2023. This trend seems to have been around since 2020, albeit to a lesser extent. I doubt the items are correlated but it seems like another odd trend.

I think it is still related to fractional share trading which pretty much all brokerages offer these days (I know Schwab offers it). It is hard to believe that there was more dollar volume in A shares than B shares. 7,000 A shares are roughly equal to 10.5 million B shares. 

12 minutes ago, MCR said:

The Rational Walk has an open call for questions about the Annual Meeting and Q1 results. He's taking questions through the end of today (6/18). He says he plans to respond to questions he receives this week: https://rationalwalk.substack.com/p/ama-1-call-for-questions-on-berkshire

Ravi is obviously severely hit at the moment by the syndrome that haunts many long term Berkshire shareholders. The urge to do something. Sit on your a$$ investing doing nothing is actually very hard. Pretty good initiative here Berkshire related, if someone asks me, as alternative to start trading.

Good news

June 19, 2023 02:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time

OMAHA, Neb.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--(BRK.A; BRK.B) – Following the close of the markets in Japan today, Berkshire Hathaway’s wholly-owned subsidiary, National Indemnity Company, will notify Japan’s Kanto Local Finance Bureau that it has increased its ownership interest in five of the leading Japanese trading companies.

The companies, listed alphabetically, are Itochu, Marubeni, Mitsubishi, Mitsui and Sumitomo. Presently these are the only publicly traded investments that Berkshire owns in Japan. Their aggregate value considerably exceeds that of Berkshire-held public stocks in any other country outside of the United States.

Excluding shares of treasury stock, Berkshire Hathaway’s ownership interest in each of the five companies now averages more than 8½%. This reporting of ownership interest is consistent with how Berkshire Hathaway reports its ownership interest in U.S. based publicly traded companies.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230618253567/en/

image.thumb.png.f7de21105dbee21e64a3eeefc8c3134a.png

Edited by nwoodman

Note was written with a hint of tone that is atypical to the Berkshire news releases.  Second time I have noticed tone difference coming out of news from Berkshire, first time was also in relation to the Japanese investments.  Above quote is just odd.  

Not odd that Mr. Able/Mr. Buffett want to own more, just odd that there is a quote saying same.  

6 hours ago, Whensthepaintdry? said:

Have many people here tried rotating out of investments like apple and msft and into BRK during times like this when the market is feeling pricey? I’m not one to move to cash, but selling some big tech and increasing brk feels like a prudent move. 

I'm keeping my Apple ownership for now and just remember that Berkshire owns 47.8% of Apple in their portfolio.

1 hour ago, competitive-advantage said:

I'm keeping my Apple ownership for now and just remember that Berkshire owns 47.8% of Apple in their portfolio.

Same, I might be wildly optimistic but they could be in the process of shaking up multiple industries…again.  If not, then I don’t think you lose to much, as even the existing moat is massive.  Every time I think about selling, the Phil Fischer in me asks which particular Apple device are you going to use to place the sell order from?

Edited by nwoodman

21 hours ago, ValueMaven said:

This has been a serious homerun for Berkshire.  

Value after Tuesday bump after disclosure is about $20.64 B USD (2.922 T Yen). Debt at the time of the Q1 report (including April transactions disclosed) was about 1.1 T Yen. At about 1.0% (or less!). Dividends are coming in at multiples of the interest costs. Knocked it out of the park, over the stands into the parking lot!

Link to website where disclosures are posted:

https://disclosure2.edinet-fsa.go.jp/weee0040.aspx

Type in National Indemnity and tick the box "Report of possession of large volume", and all the disclosures for all 5 stocks will appear.

Go Warren!

10 hours ago, jbwent63 said:

Value after Tuesday bump after disclosure is about $20.64 B USD (2.922 T Yen). Debt at the time of the Q1 report (including April transactions disclosed) was about 1.1 T Yen. At about 1.0% (or less!). Dividends are coming in at multiples of the interest costs. Knocked it out of the park, over the stands into the parking lot!

Link to website where disclosures are posted:

https://disclosure2.edinet-fsa.go.jp/weee0040.aspx

Type in National Indemnity and tick the box "Report of possession of large volume", and all the disclosures for all 5 stocks will appear.

Go Warren!

Thanks for the link to the filings.  Even after the runup, they look far from expensive.  

image.thumb.png.6b344a5846b0760ce3a231bf4406c889.png

Edited by nwoodman

18 hours ago, gfp said:

Warren put out a press release regarding his annual giving -

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230621049174/en/Berkshire-Hathaway-Inc.-News-Release

I am trying to work out the math on Buffett's charitable giving. It looks like he gave at an annual compounded rate of 4.23% of his yearly holding of BRK stock since he first pledged in 2006. The interesting thing is that he initially pledged that he would give 5% every year of a total commitment of 401,667 A shares (though he owned 474,998 A shares at the time of the pledge) in 2006. He must have increased the amount of shares that he committed along the way. 

BRK stock compounded at an annual rate of 10.69% over the 17 years he began charitable giving in 2006. 

Also, I estimate that BRK bought back slightly over $2 Billion in stock since 4/25/23 until 6/21/23 based on the filing. I estimate that BRK currently has 1,445,609 A shares outstanding as of 6/21/23.

Edited by Munger_Disciple