Buffett/Berkshire - general news

This link opens a PDF of a new E&S Insurance industry publication with several articles quoting executives on the state of the industry.  These magazines are usually not free but this one is a new launch from 'The Insurer.'  Berkshire is big and growing in Excess and Surplus lines (BHSI) so I am linking it here but it may be interesting to other insurance investors (FFH, MKL, etc) as well.

https://pdf.static.prod.wbm.infomaker.io/JcntEWo9rNCEbfRJb1rjM3trOeg.pdf

1 hour ago, gfp said:

https://berkshirehathawaytx.com

killer name for your crypto biz bro

Silver - Invest $6000 gets $12000, $50000 gets $155950

Gold - Invest $6000 gets 35200, $70000 gets $200000

Nothing shady at all. Very conservative returns, almost thought this was a mutual fund.

Edited by whatstheofficerproblem

3 hours ago, whatstheofficerproblem said:

Silver - Invest $6000 gets $12000, $50000 gets $155950

Gold - Invest $6000 gets 35200, $70000 gets $200000

Nothing shady at all. Very conservative returns, almost thought this was a mutual fund.

Guys....they have over 2800 positive reviews...4.8/5 overall...

But whatever, haters gonna hate...

This kind of stuff makes me sick, stealing name recognition in an attempt to add credibility/legitimacy to a scheme. The sad thing is, they are gonna pull in the naïve. 

I guess it would be entertaining if the single family home address they list is actually where these geniuses are living.

Also, you have to appreciate the honesty in this FAQ entry.  Never is a strong word but they weren't afraid to use it:

image.thumb.png.ad25f26fe5b9797a97fd9db931579733.png

Berkshire reported higher stakes in the 5 Japanese equities and is issuing Yen bonds again 

https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/buffetts-berkshire-boosts-stakes-japans-five-biggest-trading-houses-2022-11-21/

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1067983/000119312522289445/d372820d424b5.htm

who says carry trade is dead

Edited by gfp

9 minutes ago, Munger_Disciple said:

I've really thought Sokol got a disproportionately raw deal in the Lubrizol scandal. However, the link above does not help to restore his reputation. Why would you get involved in this in any way shape or form? Just poor judgement on his part...again.

9 minutes ago, A_Hamilton said:

I've really thought Sokol got a disproportionately raw deal in the Lubrizol scandal. However, the link above does not help to restore his reputation. Why would you get involved in this in any way shape or form? Just poor judgement on his part...again.

"She will do far better for society if she is able to continue her inventing ways," he argued.

It is horrible judgment on Sokol's part. I disagree with you regarding  Lubrizol. Berkshire shareholders dodged a major bullet. 

Edited by Munger_Disciple

17 hours ago, Munger_Disciple said:

"She will do far better for society if she is able to continue her inventing ways," he argued.

It is horrible judgment on Sokol's part. I disagree with you regarding  Lubrizol. Berkshire shareholders dodged a major bullet. 

Totally agree, not sure how this one will work for Fairfax shareholders of which I am one.  It beggars belief that Sokol even needs to wade into this.

3 hours ago, nwoodman said:

Totally agree, not sure how this one will work for Fairfax shareholders of which I am one.  It beggars belief that Sokol even needs to wade into this.

"Sokol wrote that he has "no historic family or business relationship" with Holmes but met her in 2015 at a Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans awards event."

Maybe his blood leaves his brain when he remembers their encounter...

6 minutes ago, backtothebeach said:

"Sokol wrote that he has "no historic family or business relationship" with Holmes but met her in 2015 at a Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans awards event."

Maybe his blood leaves his brain when he remembers their encounter...

She used her Bene Gesserit voice on him.

8 hours ago, nwoodman said:

Restorative justice. 

She isn't any sort of threat, and if she is truly remorseful after her time in prison, she may be more valuable to society working outside/paying taxes than sitting in a prison cell getting fed three times a day doing nothing at taxpayer's expense.  It would also allow her to pay victims through any civil litigation.  She doesn't have to pay anything if she rots in jail. 

This message board is full of investors who constantly scrutinize everything based on rational action, yet this is so hard to rationalize. 

Cheers!  

38 minutes ago, Parsad said:

Restorative justice. 

Interesting thought.  Personally, I was more relieved by a high profile Charlie Munger style “public hanging”.  Hence  Sokol’s comments struck me as very odd and added to my feelings of unease about the guy.  

Holmes is not a petty criminal. She has shown considerable criminal energy stealing not just money from investors, but also purposely ruining reputations (Schulz’s son) and endangering patients.

I believe in second chances and I am categorically against death sentence for this reason, but I think the 11 years (which will likely be reduced ) are appropriate.

Sokol has no business really vouching for her.

1 hour ago, Spekulatius said:

Holmes is not a petty criminal. She has shown considerable criminal energy stealing not just money from investors, but also purposely ruining reputations (Schulz’s son) and endangering patients.

I believe in second chances and I am categorically against death sentence for this reason, but I think the 11 years (which will likely be reduced ) are appropriate.

Sokol has no business really vouching for her.

He probably shouldn't have.  But I can certainly see why some would rather see Holmes pay back some of what is owed to victims and taxpayers. 

You might be surprised, but personally, I'm for the death penalty in 1st degree premeditated murder cases, serial killer cases, serial rapist cases, etc where the guilt has been proven without a doubt. 

For white collar criminals...throw the book at them...but make them also work somehow and provide restitution to victims and taxpayers.  Make her do lab work or something in prison if she isn't going to work outside of prison.  Guys like Sam Antar when he was in prison or Bernie Madoff when he was alive...make them work on tax returns or something for the poor 16 hours a day in prison.  I don't care what...but make them work and do something instead of just living off the taxpayer.

Cheers!    

3 hours ago, drzola said:

How can any Homo Sapien condone the death of another Sapien,  it is inconceivable to me here.

Set the penalty for certain behavior at death...hopefully as a deterrence. 

Those who, knowing the consequences of their actions i.e 1st degree premeditated murder, serial killing, serial rapist etc chose to still behave in a way that society has determined especially heinous and worthy of removal, condones the results (death) of this behavior when they committed the acts..

Death of another human should never be celebrated, but (unfortunately) can be necessary.

Anyone who thinks otherwise, has never personally been in a situation when it was necessary....

Edited by Blugolds11

10 hours ago, Parsad said:

He probably shouldn't have.  But I can certainly see why some would rather see Holmes pay back some of what is owed to victims and taxpayers. 

You might be surprised, but personally, I'm for the death penalty in 1st degree premeditated murder cases, serial killer cases, serial rapist cases, etc where the guilt has been proven without a doubt. 

For white collar criminals...throw the book at them...but make them also work somehow and provide restitution to victims and taxpayers.  Make her do lab work or something in prison if she isn't going to work outside of prison.  Guys like Sam Antar when he was in prison or Bernie Madoff when he was alive...make them work on tax returns or something for the poor 16 hours a day in prison.  I don't care what...but make them work and do something instead of just living off the taxpayer.

Cheers!    

With all due respect Sanjeev, I'm not certain I would want Bernie working on my tax return.  Maybe making license plates or making small rocks out of big rocks.