What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

5 minutes ago, Ross812 said:

I got a fill of 14 shares on an order of 1000 of HQI at $13. Day low is quoted at $13.14. Never had that happen before. 

I have had this happen (trading outside the trading range) quite a few times but it’s almost always with odd lot trade executions in very thinly traded securities.

Edited by Spekulatius

5 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

I have had this happen (trading outside the trading range) quite a few times but it’s almost always with odd lot trade executions in very thinly traded securities.

Could it have been a fidelity to fidelity trade or something? Off the exchange. Maybe it was cheaper to fill the remaining 14 shares from a standing customer order than go to the open market? Not sure if fidelity covered the spread from the other customer or maybe it was a market order sell and fidelity reported the average to them? 

This happens to me all the time - often in securities that “officially” didn’t trade at all that day. I think there are so many places other than the stock exchange that match orders that these trades get matched - and appear to not count toward official volume. Also an odd lot bid above the current bid will usually not move the posted bid or show up as the best bid. I use this quirk a lot to get shares in difficult to buy stocks where I don’t want to move the bid and just get stepped in front of by a Penny again 

1 hour ago, gfp said:

This happens to me all the time - often in securities that “officially” didn’t trade at all that day. I think there are so many places other than the stock exchange that match orders that these trades get matched - and appear to not count toward official volume. Also an odd lot bid above the current bid will usually not move the posted bid or show up as the best bid. I use this quirk a lot to get shares in difficult to buy stocks where I don’t want to move the bid and just get stepped in front of by a Penny again 

That's interesting. I thought odd lot bids would never be filled unless someone happened to place a matching round lot offer that hit your hidden odd lot bid.

Let's say the stock had a 50.00 bid and 52.00 ask and you put a 99 share bid at 50.50. If someone else tried to sell 10 shares at a market order then I would expect the seller's broker to internalize the order and fill it at something like 50.0001. Since your bid wasn't on the NBBO it would be ignored until something like a seller offers 1000 shares at 50.25, then your resting bid will hit their offer and fill. 

At least that was my understanding, but it probably depends on both your broker and the seller's broker as to whether your orders could get matched.

I think it depends on the exchange. On IB odd lot orders for FFH:CA don’t show up in the NBBO, and often get filled at favorable prices between the bid-ask (and I remember one time when a buy order was filled below the bid).

With orders for FRFHF every single share is shown in the NBBO. 

I often use hidden orders on US exchanges, even though I’m not exactly sure how they work. Does Interactive Brokers match them internally, or do they catch other hidden/limit orders at the exchange? Not advertising your intention to buy/sell openly seems to be an advantage sometimes.

Edited by backtothebeach

2 hours ago, Ross812 said:

Could it have been a fidelity to fidelity trade or something? Off the exchange. Maybe it was cheaper to fill the remaining 14 shares from a standing customer order than go to the open market? Not sure if fidelity covered the spread from the other customer or maybe it was a market order sell and fidelity reported the average to them? 

Yes, it happens more with Fidelity than with Interactive Brokers but I had this happening with both., typically only with odd lots. On OTC markets I have had trades going though outside the bid/ask range for full lots as well.

1 hour ago, Kizion said:

No fear of high Cacao prices? 

Hershey milk chocolate is only 11% cocoa, Cadbury is 26%, and special dark is 45% and the bulk of their confectionary products are 50% or less chocolate by weight. Hershey can raise prices in line with their competitors and actually increase margins. In addition, Hershey sources cocoa from negotiated supply contracts as well as futures so brunt of the current spike shouldn't hit them unless it persists.  

Does anyone know the name of the company/website where software engineers can practice writing code and get "credentialed" for having specific software coding skills?  I came across the name a few months ago as various software engineers were saying they worked at Google or FB and spent 30% of their time working for the company and 40% on this platform so they could get a better paying gig elsewhere.

41 minutes ago, rogermunibond said:

Does anyone know the name of the company/website where software engineers can practice writing code and get "credentialed" for having specific software coding skills?  I came across the name a few months ago as various software engineers were saying they worked at Google or FB and spent 30% of their time working for the company and 40% on this platform so they could get a better paying gig elsewhere.

Are you thinking of LeetCode?

Small adds to BTI and ATEX.  Nothing to write home about. 

I've got a couple of positions that I'm on the fence about and may do nothing or sell and redeploy after earnings come out in the next couple of weeks.