What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

I bought RDI today. It finished on its lows ($3ish) - looking really weak.

See attached Gabelli research piece.

I've managed to avoid this classic value trap for years until very recently, but I can't resist any longer!

One thought I had - if it declares ch 11, it would be good for equity holders in that there would be a mandated sales process. The management is absolutely horrible and are clinging to power by way of the RDIB super voting shares, which are holding up around $16ish. There is also a civil court case that may dislodge management.

I wonder how low it will go...

RDI_20200326_Gabelli_research.pdf

I'm buying puts on BURL.  Retailer with 100% of stores closed indefinitely, with no sales on website, because they closed it last year (!), and trading for over 20x trailing profits.

If they are closed for months, they will have stale inventory, a cash crunch, and are definitely not going to earn anything like last year's profits, and will almost certainly make significant losses. The valuation, which has only receded to levels seen last year in 2019, is still pricing in both profitability and growth, neither of which is likely.

I highly doubt they will be able to survive if coronavirus keeps them shut down for long, and even if they re-open, it seems unlikely they will be returning to the same level of sales, to say nothing of profitability.

My guess is shares trade down 75%+ over the next year, if they survive at all.

BURL.thumb.PNG.cd1297c4e4f80202719c7dd2b36c2c83.PNG

I'm buying puts on BURL.  Retailer with 100% of stores closed indefinitely, with no sales on website, because they closed it last year (!), and trading for over 20x trailing profits.

If they are closed for months, they will have stale inventory,

This is an interesting problem for clothing retailers, or anyone else that sells seasonal goods.  How far in advance does the typical clothing retailer acquire inventory, e.g., by mid-March I assume most winter clothing is already gone.  Is the mid-March inventory primarily spring or summer clothes? 

Either way, it seems like there is going to be alot of out-of-season clothing around.  Would off-price discounters benefit from that?  Also, someone's going to have to eat most of that.  Will brands take some of it back?

This is an interesting problem for clothing retailers, or anyone else that sells seasonal goods.  How far in advance does the typical clothing retailer acquire inventory, e.g., by mid-march I assume most winter clothing is already gone.  Is the mid-march inventory primarily spring or summer clothes? 

Either way, it seems like there is going to be alot of out-of-season clothing around.  Would off-price discounters benefit from that?  Also, someone's going to have to eat most of that.  Will brands take some of it back?

Maybe off-price can buy tons of stuff cheap, but who wants Easter stuff after the holiday?  How many people just don't need new swimsuits at any price if they are cancelling their trip to Hawaii?

Plus, we were at all time high consumer sentiment in February....how's consumer sentiment now?  All of my friends are delaying or cancelling vehicle/house purchases, and sticking to the necessities, even if they have money.  Who is going "shopping" even if stores re-open?  And to what extent was BURL's target market (women with incomes $25k-100k) affected financially?

If they are closed for months, they will have stale inventory, a cash crunch, and are definitely not going to earn anything like last year's profits, and will almost certainly make significant losses. The valuation, which has only receded to levels seen last year in 2019, is still pricing in both profitability and growth, neither of which is likely.

I highly doubt they will be able to survive if coronavirus keeps them shut down for long, and even if they re-open, it seems unlikely they will be returning to the same level of sales, to say nothing of profitability.

Neat idea and hardly(to my knowledge) a crowded institutional idea either. How do look at structuring this in a cost effective manner? I gave it a quick glance and put it on the "take a look at" reminder list for later. But briefly, couldn't you construct a cheaper expression with an outright short and some calls to hedge? Or is this a "big expected downside so go really far out of the money" situation?

This is an interesting problem for clothing retailers, or anyone else that sells seasonal goods.  How far in advance does the typical clothing retailer acquire inventory, e.g., by mid-march I assume most winter clothing is already gone.  Is the mid-march inventory primarily spring or summer clothes? 

Maybe off-price can buy tons of stuff cheap, but who wants Easter stuff after the holiday?  How many people just don't need new swimsuits at any price if they are cancelling their trip to Hawaii?

Plus, we were at all time high consumer sentiment in February....how's consumer sentiment now?  All of my friends are delaying or cancelling vehicle/house purchases, and sticking to the necessities, even if they have money.  Who is going "shopping" even if stores re-open?  And to what extent was BURL's target market (women with incomes $25k-100k) affected financially?

I was just asking about the balance sheet writedowns to inventory (and potential covenant and working capital/cash flow arising therefrom) that seem likely.  As you note, the fact that stores might not even be able to sell seasonally appropriate inventory is, of course, another even bigger potential problem.

Neat idea and hardly(to my knowledge) a crowded institutional idea either. How do look at structuring this in a cost effective manner? I gave it a quick glance and put it on the "take a look at" reminder list for later. But briefly, couldn't you construct a cheaper expression with an outright short and some calls to hedge? Or is this a "big expected downside so go really far out of the money" situation?

I just buy long out of the money puts.

Very interesting - what dates you buying on the puts?

Mostly I buy longer dated stuff--Jan 2021.  I have some shorter dates on this name too, but mostly I'm in Jan 2021 $100s/$120s

Mostly I buy longer dated stuff--Jan 2021.  I have some shorter dates on this name too, but mostly I'm in Jan 2021 $100s/$120s

Thanks timing & pricing sitting where I was thinking also

Q2 has to be melt down for this group - mid-August earnings release/call with corresponding Sept 2020 120 puts could be good bet

The spreads on those puts is something to behold. Bid and ask are 2x apart (order of magnitude).

The spreads on those puts is something to behold. Bid and ask are 2x apart (order of magnitude).

Try to get a fill in between--if you have a good broker like Fidelity or IBKR they help too.

Or just pay the ask--most of these options are hung based on market makers running delta hedge books, not by a bookie setting the line. 

I honestly think these options, among others right now, is stealing--buying insurance on a house that's already engulfed in flames.

Try to get a fill in between--if you have a good broker like Fidelity or IBKR they help too.

Or just pay the ask--most of these options are hung based on market makers running delta hedge books, not by a bookie setting the line. 

I honestly think these options, among others right now, is stealing--buying insurance on a house that's already engulfed in flames.

I've been having some success just by being patient with limit orders. Have been selling small pieces of my positions above the ask and repurchasing them a few hours later for the bid.

There's been a handful of times where the re-buys haven't filled and I've needed to wait a day or two, but that's the risk you take to collect the spread.

Is this your first time buying puts on dead companies? I've done so in the past, hilariously usually breaking even. I've had companies technically in BK with 100s of millions in equity value, buying 6 month puts and having them breakeven. It can be infuriating.

I actually agree 100% with alwaysdrawing. I’ll admit I was skeptical as his posts originally seemed sensational, but his detail given on the strategy is money. Has saved me big time on the draw down with certain names. It’s a value investors market. Hold longs that will weather the storm and buy insurance on the stuff that can’t hold fort for a few months at minimal outlays with large payoffs

Is this your first time buying puts on dead companies? I've done so in the past, hilariously usually breaking even. I've had companies technically in BK with 100s of millions in equity value, buying 6 month puts and having them breakeven. It can be infuriating.

It depends. On things too obvious straight short with some way out the money calls is how I do it. BURL is(regardless of eventual outcome) a beautiful trade because it’s off the radar. 

More AMA Group... Price chart makes one puke, but I think it's a potential 5-10 bagger, and unless I've completely missed something, I think I've rarely seen a selloff as crazy as this one. Might wanna write it up.

I am a little bit concerned about the debt covenants. My stomach is weaker than yours, I puked this out when it was  0.57AUD, now at 0.175AUD.

It trades like an option now.

Well, you did well selling. I averaged down a couple of times - and doubled it today. Ugh. Someone mailed me to get my view, quick view here (all very back of the envelope):

From the recent CC (from the CEO): We have a net leverage ratio where we can't exceed 3.25 in the first year. That doesn't get tested until the end of this year. And everything is on the basis of around run rate and those sorts of things. So we're comfortable with that at the moment. And based on those, so no concerns on that.

So I think end of last Q they had around 300m drawn on their 375m debt facilities and 50m cash so 250m net debr vs guidance of some 75m ebitda. So obviously close and obviously things have evolved for the worse with corona-virus (if you go to AMAs website they sent out a note to customers, clients etc.), but they're still in business - this isn't retail. And there might be pent up demand from hails storms that hit Australia.

But I think what's important here is the comment on run rate which I assume means that they'll be able to include, among other things, 17m in expected synergies (they have alluded that it will be higher, so perhaps they can bump it up). Either way I think there's a real risk that they breach those covenants - but I also expect lenders to be willing to waive those given the special circumstances. Very few banks will want to write off a loan six months in - and optically it would look extremely bad.

As for valuation, with a marketcap of 125m and 250 net debt the price of AMA is below the price of the Smart Capital acquisition (where rumour was others were willing to pay around 320m I seem to recall) PLUS the old Ama Group. Blackstone was close to buying the whole thing for some 10xebitda while right now - if things go as planned - they might do plus 100m ebitda in their fiscal 21 so around 3,5xev/ebitda.

I know it sounds almost stupid, but that would potentially imply equity upside of some 600 pct. from here. There is real risk of permanent capital impairment, but I think the risk is severly overstated and would expect them to get a waiver if they trip covenants. Last resort perhaps call Blackstone again? And I don't think things are all that dire. This is smash repair shops that should be extremely resilent since insurance pays, AND they had good answers on the call as to what needs to be improved (and it seems pretty easy to fix). CEO owns a ton of stock, three insider buys since beginning of march - post results.

That was a quick plus 200 pct... Company update out today, basically as expected. That was the best setup in a looong time. Increased pricing and covenant testing postphoned. Still think it is worth twice as much. Suddenly a very large position.

Not by a long shot. I made money in the early stages of MDXG’s collapse, and ended up losing a bit more than my early gains when the company did not go bankrupt by Jan 2020, despite not filing financials.  I have also lost money on options on Tesla over the past few years (though have won at various points along the way too). 

Options are generally a small part of my portfolio, but in the past two months I’ve been very successful buying puts on companies with a clear downside to COVID impacts, companies with weak balance sheets/high leverage, and buying calls on volatility.  At this point I have significant put positions that are longer duration, and which I still think will perform asymmetrically.

I have a background in poker, sports betting, and various other games, and options are a natural extension of other gambling/strategy type games. Finding asymmetry is difficult, and sometimes the thesis doesn’t pan out, but when you buy OOTM options, it’s OK if they often go to 0 if sometimes you make 5x or 10x or, like with some of the recent volatility calls, 20-40x.  I only buy long puts and calls in an anti-fragile way where all I can lose is the option cost.

That being said, how often can you easily buy options on a company with literal 0 current revenue, no insight into when they will reopen, and priced based on stale numbers?  It defies basic logic, and must be because market makers are using Black Scholes (and likely think they are scalping me), when they really risk significant gaps down that are foreseeable.

I have never seen anything like this market, and opportunities abound in asymmetric bets still.

My SPY puts the past couple of days looks idiotic.

2800 on the S&P doesn't make sense to me with the change in consumer spending going forward. The medical experts say 12-18 months at the very earliest. It seems the market is just looking at this as a 60 day pause.

It over shoots on the way down and way up though.

I was specifically referring to options on "dead men walking" so to speak (companies which have declared covenant breaches, things like that). Regardless I'll throw out some counterpoints:

-They've got 400M of cash, not a lot of debt - can probably get thru 2020 lease and interest obligations

-They may be eligible for lease forgiveness or modification due to COVID as other tenants are doing.

-These are not anchor stores or locations. Property owner's may have difficulty kicking out BURL and finding a replacement tenant. May be easier to extend terms.

-I agree the demographic may be hit harder by the pandemic and therefore slower to return to stores

-On the other hand, this company has a long history and has shown to be quite resilient. I don't think it's a BK risk.

Additionally, have you looked at Ross? I would think the similar thesis applies there although they appear slightly less levered.